Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New leather

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Patrick9

Patrick9

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMurfreesboro Tennessee

Site Supporter

I noticed that the leather was coming loose on my FM2 while installing the new seals. I ordered new leather. I received it yesterday. Last nights project was the removal of the old leather. There are 2 brass covers? under the leather on the timer side. The larger one is loose and bent. Correction. Was bent I have straightened it . It was causing a ridge in the old leather. Does anyone have any idea what these are for other than just to cover a couple of holes? I will post photo's tonight after I get home from work. 

This baby is going to look good in red. I also need to paint the film door edges the paint is all chipped up all around it.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

If I remember correctly the larger one covers the cam for adjusting the shutter button's travel at the top and the pcb for stop-down metering at the bottom. The smaller one is for inspecting clearance for the shutter actuator, I think. They should be held in place with a contact adhesive.

The full service manual for the FM2 is available at http://bee.mif.pg.gd...pair Manual.pdf

Patrick9

Patrick9

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

That is awesome .Thanks

Here are some shots of the FM2 skinless. The second one shows the covers with one being temporarily held in place with tape.

FM2-naked-007.jpg

FM2-naked-008.jpg

FM2-naked-005.jpg

Patrick9

Patrick9

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

The film door is now painted and I have everything I need to re skin the camera.  Except for time. I hope to get it done tomorrow night or Sat morning. It  has been a long day and one of those where things did not go easy. So I am not going to attempt this tonight.

Patrick9

Patrick9

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

The FM2 is now re-leathered . Here she is ready for her first outing with me. Sorry about the quality My tripod is not here at the moment . So hand held with room light

Attached Thumbnails

• Re-skined-FM2-1.jpg
  • Re-skined-FM2-2.jpg

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I like the red leather...very nice work...

Patrick9

Patrick9

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Thank you.

jhskyline

jhskyline

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Country Flag

So, How do I order "new leather" for my F100?  Shouldn't Nikon provide me this repair kit free of change since it is clearly a defective product?  I do not recall a caveat on original box stating, "Be aware that the leather material on the outside of this fine camera is likely to deteriorate after 9-10 years, degrading into a sticky substance impossible to clean or seal." 

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Slope Northern Sierra Nevada
LOL

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

jhskyline,

Just punching "camera leather for my F100" into Google listed a bunch of truck sites. Changing the search perimeter to include the word "nikon" resulted in a page that included a link to this site. I have no idea if they could provide what you're looking for, or how reliable they are. 

--Ron

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

They are reputable, but they don't have solutions for rubber- or polymer-covered bodies like the F100.

• Ron likes this

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I did see that they apparently sell kits for my Minolta XD-11 and it's winder which are both in dire need of reskinning. The prices don't seem too bad either as long as you stay away from the more exotic stuff. I personally preferred the type of covering my SRT has rather than the thicker stuff they used on the XD anyway. And, in plain black. While I can admire the red leather cover, it's not exactly my cup o tea.

--Ron

Patrick9

Patrick9

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I did see that they apparently sell kits for my Minolta XD-11 and it's winder which are both in dire need of reskinning. The prices don't seem too bad either as long as you stay away from the more exotic stuff. I personally preferred the type of covering my SRT has rather than the thicker stuff they used on the XD anyway. And, in plain black. While I can admire the red leather cover, it's not exactly my cup o tea.

--Ron

That is where I got my leather from. he is a bit slow but I do like his products.

• Ron likes this

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Thanks, Patrick.

--Ron

daveFM2

daveFM2

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Country Flag
I would recommend Pliobond cement for securing leather. This is an industrial product. I have used it to resecure some leather that was peeling on a Leica R. Also used it on a plastic part of a Leica winder, rock solid results. Be warned it has a strong odor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro