Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Should I tell the wife?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Eagles1181

Eagles1181

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • LocationTexas
Have you thought about senior portraits?

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Have you thought about senior portraits?

Uh...kinda...not really...That isn't really what I want to do, but I have kept the idea in the back of my head to look into further if needed...I've noticed several people who seem to be doing well with it...

But, we seem to be getting off track...Fortunately (or unfortunately) my wife is already aware of my plans to upgrade...I've been prepping her for the eventual upgrade for almost a year now :) so she won't be totally freaked out when it happens...I've also been saving what funds I do make from photography towards it...

Kenafein

Kenafein

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Country Flag

Uh...kinda...not really...That isn't really what I want to do, but I have kept the idea in the back of my head to look into further if needed...I've noticed several people who seem to be doing well with it...

But, we seem to be getting off track...Fortunately (or unfortunately) my wife is already aware of my plans to upgrade...I've been prepping her for the eventual upgrade for almost a year now :) so she won't be totally freaked out when it happens...I've also been saving what funds I do make from photography towards it...

Is there any work for the local universities and community colleges?  You have sports photog friends, what do they tell you regarding getting more jobs where your passion is?  If you take it up during retirement you have the luxury of making less money and being choosy of your jobs.  Those making a living off photography often have to do weddings, engagements, senior photos and kids.  For some, that must be a bit torturous.  

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,243 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Actually, that is the long term plan...Switch over to full time photography at some point down the road as I get towards retirement.  Heck, I'd switch now if I could find a decent paying photo position that didn't require doing portraits of kids or weddings.  Both are great, just not something I'd enjoy full time!  I am already working on trying to expand my profits and am looking at other alternative ways to generate some additional income...

I'd avoid weddings too. I've shot a grand total of one (1) but I've watched a few others being shot and nobody should have to put up with that kind of abuse! You really need to have a thick hide to shoot weddings! Nope nope nope...

--Ron

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Kenafein - definitely looking into all of the above at least in general...waiting now for input from one of my friends on some ideas...also, since it is likely that we will be relocating over the next several years, trying to narrow that down early to a location so I can concentrate that type of search in that area...

Ron - I've probably done a dozen or so - mostly in the 80s...last one I did for hire was a second wedding on a New Year's Eve several (10?) years ago (still had my D100)...I took photos at a wedding back in April, but I was not the official photographer and did not shoot too much.  We've been good friends the groom and his family since he was about 10.  He and his Dad asked me if I'd get some extra photos for them as a wedding gift - I think I posted one or two in the best photo from around then...REALLY would not want to go back to shooting weddings - more power to those who do it and enjoy it!

etphoto

etphoto

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Actually, that is the long term plan...Switch over to full time photography at some point down the road as I get towards retirement. Heck, I'd switch now if I could find a decent paying photo position that didn't require doing portraits of kids or weddings. Both are great, just not something I'd enjoy full time! I am already working on trying to expand my profits and am looking at other alternative ways to generate some additional income...

Stay away from buying more gear is one way of making it. A friend of mine, 20 years ago, said, if your camera takes good pictures today it'll take good ones tomorrow as well. When ever new gear comes out its hard to not want to upgrade.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I tend to agree although not spending money is different than making money.

As long as what you have is performing to the level you need it to, there is absolutely no reason to change it.  It is when that equipment won't or can't perform at the required level that you need to look towards new gear. 

On the flip side, you won't see many firefighers running into a burning building without specific equipment that they need to do their job...Same for chefs, having the necessary tools...There are tools you need to have and sometimes that means an upgrade is needed...In some cases, I know some organizations won't even talk to you unless you have what they consider a "basic" set of tools.  If so, then you can start talking to them about what you can do with those tools.

jason

jason

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Country Flag

definitely do not tell her. mine decided i have to much money and has found new ways to spend what little i have

cowleystjames

cowleystjames

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOxford, UK
You're so correct Jason, the good lady decided that if I've that much money to spend on camera equipment she can have a new car.
She brought the car brochures home last week and as we speak is trying to convince me that the Evoque is for her!
What can I say?

Wired

Wired

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

did she get the Evoque?

buy two, one for when the first one is in the shop. then you can just trade when its ready because the other one is ready for an engine/transmission. (coming from an employee of Land Rover)

Veloman

Veloman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationExmouth,Devonshire.UK

Site Supporter

Nice pair of camera's you have there C.I sometimes wish I could rid myself of my frugal attitude (not a cheap attitude may I add).I find that everything I buy has to earn its keep and when it stops giving its best I move on to something new.I've just returned to an interest in photography and brought my D80 out of mothball.I still have my old Olympus OM1 that I can't bring myself to throw out as it gave such great results during my long time in HM Forces.(I still think that I'll end up in some place without electricity lol)My D80,for the moment,gives me all I want from photography,but I'm sure, if my interest develops once again I'll be reading the magazines to see what Nikon has to offer.It will be Nikon for sure as I can't find a fault with its results or robustness.(I tend to stuff camera's into ruck sacks and other accessible places for grabbing quickly)

PS.Tell the wife nothing when it involves your expensive interests,unless you're prepared  placate her with expensive baubles. :)  

cowleystjames

cowleystjames

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOxford, UK

did she get the Evoque?

buy two, one for when the first one is in the shop. then you can just trade when its ready because the other one is ready for an engine/transmission. (coming from an employee of Land Rover)

She did, the Evoque Coupe Dynamic Lux to go with my Range Rover Vogue SE. I guess that makes it his and hers, got to admit, I hate the Evoque.

Wired

Wired

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

She did, the Evoque Coupe Dynamic Lux to go with my Range Rover Vogue SE. I guess that makes it his and hers, got to admit, I hate the Evoque.

Nice his and hers. Love it

Yea the Evoque does nothing for me. An RR sport supercharged though.....yes please

run4fun

run4fun

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBoston,ma.
Let's see some pics produced from that sexy D4S!