Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Should I tell the wife?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

cowleystjames

cowleystjames

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOxford, UK
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406586631.325009.jpg
Couldn't resist after the D4s gives such good low light performance with its Expeed 4 processor. And the D810 delivers in bucket fulls, but you know what blows me away the most? The almost quiet shutter. For years I've put up with a loud shutter on the D800e, D4 and D4s, but this thing is so quiet.
More cameras like this please nikon!

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Interesting that you say the others are noisy.  I've read that the D4s is a fairly quiet shutter.  Congrats on the purchase! 

cowleystjames

cowleystjames

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOxford, UK
The D4s is a quieter shutter than the D4, but not a patch on the D810

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Oh my, I'm so jelly! If only I had the scratch! LOL

--Ron

etphoto

etphoto

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationCincinnati
I am two lazy to look it up, does the D810 have two card slots?

cowleystjames

cowleystjames

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOxford, UK

I am two lazy to look it up, does the D810 have two card slots?

Yes, CF and SD still. But I don't understand why they have to have two different formats, ultimately, I wish they'd commit fully to QXD then perhaps the price would drop, and they'd become more widely available. It's a great card standard with masses of transfer speed, but they don't seem committed to it.

Eagles1181

Eagles1181

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • LocationTexas

It is a chicken and egg thing.  They don't want to commit fully to a card that is not widely accepted because they don't want a scenario where people are not buying there camera because they cannot get the card.  The flip to that is the card is not more widely accepted because none of the equipment manufactures are committed to it.

Eagle 

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I agree...It does seem crazy that there are so many different card formats out there.  I thought everyone MIGHT decide to standardize with the combo of SD and MicroSD which is a nice combo for larger and smaller devices, but no...I keep hearing that the CF cards are more durable than the SD cards, but I have yet to have any major issues with my SD cards (or any other format for that matter).  I am not looking forward to having to get CF and XQD cards and having to try to sell my large quantity of SD cards when I move to D4 / D4s down the road.

Kenafein

Kenafein

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Country Flag

Wow, the Sigma lens is bigger than I thought.  Congrats on the new toy.  The new changes to the 810 are pretty enticing, a quiet shutter would be delectable icing on the cake.  

Eagles1181

Eagles1181

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • LocationTexas

I agree...It does seem crazy that there are so many different card formats out there.  I thought everyone MIGHT decide to standardize with the combo of SD and MicroSD which is a nice combo for larger and smaller devices, but no...I keep hearing that the CF cards are more durable than the SD cards, but I have yet to have any major issues with my SD cards (or any other format for that matter).  I am not looking forward to having to get CF and XQD cards and having to try to sell my large quantity of SD cards when I move to D4 / D4s down the road.

If you decide to sell off you collection of SD cards, I would be interested in taking a handful off your hands.  Let me know.

Eagle

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Eagle - I expect I will be selling most if not all as I move to D4 or D4s that won't use them.  Not sure of timing yet, but I'm sure you (and everyone else) will hear about it!  I will make sure you know if I'm selling any!

etphoto

etphoto

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationCincinnati
I like the CD cards and have a boat load of them. I'd hate to have to get other cards because the newer camera has a different format. I understand its an older camera, but I've never found a reason to upgrade from my D3s yet and its two "CD" card slots.

ET

Kenafein

Kenafein

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Country Flag

Eagle - I expect I will be selling most if not all as I move to D4 or D4s that won't use them.  Not sure of timing yet, but I'm sure you (and everyone else) will hear about it!  I will make sure you know if I'm selling any!

You'll be making your 200-400/4 really happy with that purchase.  

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

You'll be making your 200-400/4 really happy with that purchase.  

Yes, making my lens (and me) happy is quite likely but that doesn't necessarily carry over to making my wife happy :)  Have to stay on the topic!

As for throwing in a bit of sports / baseball, I certainly hope that the "Body To Be Named Later" will make all of my lenses and me VERY happy which translates to profits which translates to my wife being happy!  :lol:

Kenafein

Kenafein

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Country Flag

Yes, making my lens (and me) happy is quite likely but that doesn't necessarily carry over to making my wife happy :)  Have to stay on the topic!

As for throwing in a bit of sports / baseball, I certainly hope that the "Body To Be Named Later" will make all of my lenses and me VERY happy which translates to profits which translates to my wife being happy!  :lol:

Hmm, unless you start investing a lot of time shooting a lot of jobs, I doubt you'll make enough profits to justify that particular camera to your wife :).  I hope you're good at cooking the books.  Why oh why did I ever pick such an expensive hobby?  I went from my Datsun 240Z money pit to the photography money pit, and I even got married (with two great kids)along the way.  I'm doomed to be broke forever.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Any hobby can end up being a money pit. Photography particularly so. Gosh, if I had all the money I've spent over the years on photography I could,... well, I could get a D4s! 

And, it get's worse.... I just bought a new lens that shows me how poor my main camera is at noise reduction! argh! 

--Ron

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Only a D4s?  Wow...you must be young!  I bet you spent that much (or would have new) on just your current equipment!

I rarely cook books...I might barbeque them (low and slow) but really don't like to cook them!  :) 

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Yeah, you're right. I'm young. 

Actually, I could probably buy a few other trinkets too. LOL 

But yeah... over the years... adjusting for inflation, I've probably spent enough to buy much of Nikon's current product line. And that doesn't take into account the behind the scenes stuff like darkroom equipment, computers and imaging software. Gosh, in 1990 I bought a Mac IIci, a video card and NEC monitor for $6000US. 

--Ron

cowleystjames

cowleystjames

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOxford, UK
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406882444.570189.jpg
My two ladies with my favourite lenses at the moment.
And you're dead right, photography sure is a money pit!

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Hmm, unless you start investing a lot of time shooting a lot of jobs, I doubt you'll make enough profits to justify that particular camera to your wife :).

Actually, that is the long term plan...Switch over to full time photography at some point down the road as I get towards retirement.  Heck, I'd switch now if I could find a decent paying photo position that didn't require doing portraits of kids or weddings.  Both are great, just not something I'd enjoy full time!  I am already working on trying to expand my profits and am looking at other alternative ways to generate some additional income...