Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Exposure Compensation Issue

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBeaverton, Oregon

Site Supporter

Greetings,

I have a Nikon N8008s slr camera and am using a Nikon AF Nikkor 70~210mm Non-D Lens.  Great combo.  With this lens, I am limited to the number of program modes I can access.  When in Manual mode, I get the exposure grid showing (with arrows) which way to go.  I tried just moving the aperture in the direction the arrow indicates.  Unfortunately, no luck.  So, when the grid appears, what do I do?  I have studied the operating manual until I am blue in the face, but there is no clear indication of what to do.  The only option I have is to use the aperture priority mode, which I am not all that comfortable with.  I press the +/- button, which then shows the grid at being dead center.  It is difficult to hold the button down while pressing the shutter release button at the same time.  Perhaps I could mount the outfit on a tripod, use the shutter cable release while holding down the +/- button.  Thanks for any assistance offered.

Tony

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

On the N8008s you should have no problems using any AF lens with an aperture control ring fully.

To use program or shutter priority, set the lens to minimum aperture (highest number) and preferably lock the ring. If you don't the camera will display EE for exposure error. If the contacts in the lensmount are dirty, you will get the same error even at min. aperture.

In program mode you enter program flex by turning the thumb wheel. This lets you find a combination of shutter time and aperture that gives a correct exposure.

In shutter priority you set the time with the thumb wheel and the camera sets the aperture.

In aperture priority you set the aperture with the ring and the camera sets the time for the shutter.

In manual you set the aperture with the ring and time with the thumb wheel.

The exposure compensation is an offset to tell the meter that the scene you are trying to meter is not uniformly grey.

If you have a very light background, set your compensation to +, if the background is dark, set - compensation. To set the compensation, just press the +- button and turn the thumb wheel.