Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Apple Doing Away with Aperture?

post processing aperture

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

A friend sent me this link.  Did any of our Aperture users see this?

Why Apple Won't Miss Aperture, and Neither Should You

Thoughts? 

I am glad I stuck with Lightroom when I switched over from PC to Mac...

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,646 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Photos might turn out nice. It will probably keep the OS integrated DAM parts from aperture... I am sceptical of the reliance on the cloud though.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Yea...I agree - if there is a way to control WHICH photos are shared, it might be nice to have the cloud, but I can always use LR and export photos and then select some to import to iPhoto which pretty much gives me that capability now...

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,646 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

iPhoto will also be a part of the past, Photos will replace both. I just have to hope that Photos retains the book layout tools from Aperture instead of the limited version in iPhoto, I have used the photobooks extensively...

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I expect Photos will look more like an enhanced iPhoto since it is going to be spread out to IOS as well as OS X.  I also expect they will have to include a number of the Aperture features in order to keep folks happy...

They are definitely working to integrate the three "layers" of devices from phone to pad to PC.  It is getting close to the time when you will be buying into a "system" like Nikon or Canon and you'll want all three of those devices to be the same "flavor" for easy sharing and sync between the devices.

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,529 posts
  • Country Flag
This is bad news for me, as Aperture is a cornerstone of my current workflow.

While I could replace it in the workflow by another application, I'll have to find out whether they will offer some tools to convert the existing database to that other system.

(Basically I enjoyed using the non-destructive approach Aperture (and other applications) have; however this resulted in having a large filesystem with raw pictures and a more selective output folder with final versions; while having in the middle the Aperture database that holds all changes and metadata additions)

Tom Kauffman

Tom Kauffman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationStanwood, WA USA

The current trend is towards the Cloud. I guess I am still nervous about leaving everything at the mercy of a server floating in "space." Will we be able to effectively continue editing on our own computers or do we have to "just get used to" the new way of doing business. Apparently "Aperture" is being phased out in favor or a cloud based "Photo" app and that leaves "Lightroom" which will likely go the same way. Any thoughts on this or suggestions to calm my mind.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,646 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Cloud computing for heavy duty editing is fortunately not here yet, but it will come when wireless access is stable enough. For now we will probably have to live with the software locally and most of the files in the cloud, but probably with some method of saving some locally until you can get access to the net. I don't like the thought, but the success for Google apps make the marketers drool...

Tom Kauffman

Tom Kauffman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationStanwood, WA USA

Thanks for your thoughts. Change is difficult to embrace at times but for the most part developments in computing has been positive. I guess I'm not comfortable yet giving up control of my pictures and other data.  :(

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I expect that it will be awhile before all the editing is cloud-based.  There are too many situations where pros may need editing capabilities away from Internet access although those are going away slowly.  If you think about it, many of us have stored photos on various photo sites (Flikr, Shutterfly, SmugMug, etc.) for several years which is not significantly different than cloud storage.  That does not prevent local storage.  I have been using cloud storage for various photos, but I also have all of those images locally and have them backed up on what can be local storage as well.  Unless costs change, there is no way that I'll have all of my images floating in the cloud and I will still maintain local storage and backups.  

Kenafein

Kenafein

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Country Flag

I use Lightroom, but it's always sad to lose competition.  It's bad for consumers.  

ems12

ems12

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationJacksonville/Ennis Ireland

I am loving Lightroom! 

I am a NX2 used of old and I can't believe how much better Lightroom 5 is.

It's breathing life into a lot of my old NEF files from many years ago. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: post processing, aperture