Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

A backpack that is small enough

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Cindy Clicks

Cindy Clicks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Country Flag

Ok, I think I am done buying cameras and lenses for awhile, so now I am looking for a backpack.  I really wish I lived close to a large store like Adorama or B+H, so I could just go try them all out.  I am losing money sending them back.  So far I have tried Lowpro and Vanguard.  I would really like something that conforms comfortably on my back and small, very small.  I only really need it to hold one or two camera bodies and one or two lenses.  I don't care if it has a ton of padding, just a little is fine.  I like to travel light and when I am on a major expedition I have my hubby to help carry things.  I usually have at least one, and maybe two, cameras on my Cotton Carrier, ready at all times.   Right now I only have a small Lowpro shoulder bag, that I never carry on a hike.

If I ever find the perfect bag, I will certainly sing its praises.   

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Is the Tamrac Expedition 3 too large? I find most Tamracs more comfortable than Lowe-pros. The Aero 75 is another alternative that might be worth consideration. A bit bigger, but with a compartment for lunch and a rain jacket...

Nikonite

Nikonite

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOrlando, Fl

I see you've tried Lowepro, but did you try the "Flipside" series from Lowepro? I've had the flipside 300 on two trips now and really like it. It's well within "carry on" baggage limits.  

Cindy Clicks

Cindy Clicks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Country Flag

Another one that looks intriguing is the Smokey Mountain bag by F-Stop Gear.  I don't think any of the top three retailers, Adorama, Amazon, or B+H sell it though.  It is hard to find any good reviews on it. 

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The Smokey Mountain seems well made, but the fold-over design to open the bottom compartment and the straight straps seem like leftovers from the 80's. They made for an uncomfortable pack then... They might have solved the problems inherent in the design, but I would need to see it in person to judge.

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

I have a Tamrac Adventure 10 and an Adventure 9.  The 10 is huge.   I can carry almost all of my gear in it as well as a 17" laptop.   This is not a daypack for a photo romp.   The 9,however, is much better suited to the task of a daypack.  It will hold a body and about 3 lenses, depending on the size of the lenses, and still have room for a speedlight, cables, extra battery, card wallet,  lens pen, etc.   And it has a laptop compartment that my 13" Macbook Pro fits nicely in.  It is an extremely comfortable backpack, and it is not very bulky.  (I have a Vanguard backpack that makes me look like a turtle, and it doesn't distribute the load very well, hence, it is not comfortable). 

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I have a relatively small Lowepro.  I don't carry it that often since I normally take more gear than it can handle, but back in the day, I could fit two bodies, two or three lenses and a flash...has an external connection for attaching a tripod or monopod that really does a good job holding it in place.  I just checked the Lowepro site.  It is probably a 300 or 400 size...Probably the Flipside 300 or 400 AW - looks like the same Tripod carrier...or the Pro Trekker in the same size...it is an AW - has a waterproof cover that is attached and normally hidden that you can pull out to protect the bag from weather.  It is comfortable to carry and I would definitely recommend it...

Nikonite

Nikonite

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOrlando, Fl

In addition and on the plus side for my Lowepro flipside is when worn as a backpack the access zipper is against your back. Meaning that if you're in line at whatever no pick pocket can access your camera bag. Another plus for the flipside is that you can wear it as a backpack, but you can also carry it as a case with the top handle.  

Afterimage

Afterimage

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPennsylvania

The 9,however, is much better suited to the task of a daypack.  It will hold a body and about 3 lenses, depending on the size of the lenses, and still have room for a speedlight, cables, extra battery, card wallet,  lens pen, etc.   And it has a laptop compartment that my 13" Macbook Pro fits nicely in.  It is an extremely comfortable backpack, and it is not very bulky.  

I second the Adventure series - The Adventure 7 is my go-to pack for for nearly everything. It's a bit smaller than the 9 but I rarely find myself needing more room.

Cindy Clicks

Cindy Clicks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Country Flag

Ok, I just wanted to let everyone know how I got things settled on this issue.  It seems that the Adventure series is being discontinued.  I wanted to try the 6 or 7 but never got a chance to.  I settled on the Lowepro Orion(also discontinued) which is almost identical but a little lighter than the Tamrac.  I chose this because it is one of the smallest backpacks I could find at the lowest price and still had a place to carry a tripod.  I am not really fond of the material on the back, but it is ok.  Besides, this is the one that my husband will most likely carry on our trips because I will be carrying two cameras with me at all times.  

But I also ordered the Smoky Mountain backpack by F-Stop Gear and I love it.  It is really well made and the most comfortable of any camera backpack.  It is an old school backpack that does not resemble a camera pack at all.  It is not designed to carry a tripod but is perfect for just a day trip in the city or country.  The only negative thing I can say is that you have to flip up the zipper flap in order to get the zipper to glide more efficiently, but that isn't really a big deal.  I noticed that when I bought this item it was only one of the three color choices that were available and they had just dropped the price slightly.  I hope that is not an indication that  it will be discontinued, because it really is an awesome bag.  One of my favorite landscape photographers, Patrick Di Fruscia, uses their bags and loves them, so I think they are a great company.  Their products are just not something that most of the retailers carry.  

And last night I happened to be in the sporting goods department of Walmart and found an insulated backpack for carrying cans of beer, it was only $9.00 and with a little bit of padding from the insulation it is perfect to just throw a camera in there for a quick trip to the garden,  it is really small and light.  What  a steal!  So I guess I am set for a while on the backpacks.  Thanks for all your advice!