Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nikon D5300, first impressions from a Canon user

sensor

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Cindy Clicks

Cindy Clicks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Country Flag

Well I tried out my new D5300 for the first time and I have quite a long list of design annoyances. But for one thing, and this is not just Nikon, I don't like reading the manual on the computer screen.  The paper copy is far too basic.  I figured that if the image quality was good, it might be worth it to get used to all the little things I don't like about it.  But then I opened my first RAW images, and right away I see a spot on the sensor.  This should not happen with a brand new camera.  I had heard that Nikon has issues with oil spots on the sensor.  Here is the image and a close crop.  What are your thoughts?  Should I send it back for repair/replacement?_DSC0115.jpg _DSC0115crop.jpg

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

The only model where the oil spots are a known issue is the D600 (unfortunately, my camera, and yes, I'll be sending it in for a cleaning and shutter replacement soon I hope--if I can find a two-week window I can be without it). For one spot, perhaps try cleaning it yourself (if you're comfortable doing that) or have a good camera shop do it.

Also, have you tried any shots with a very small aperture just to see if the problem is worse than it looks? One spot doesn't seem so bad, but I shot for a year (usually wide open) with my D600 and was blissfully unaware of just how filthy my sensor was until I tried some shots at f22 just for kicks. Holy cow. It looked like someone had swept the floor and dumped it on my sensor. I've already posted these SOOC pics elsewhere, but here they are again. THIS is the problem Nikon is getting crap about (justifiably).

20140517-sensor-1722_WEB.jpg

20140517-sensor-1722crop_WEB.jpg

Cindy Clicks

Cindy Clicks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Country Flag

Ok, so here is my next question that I just cannot understand.  I put in a new CD card this morning, uploaded the pics, then I erased all the images on the card and shot a few more pics, but it started the number sequence all over again at #1.  Why would it do that? I hope there is a way I can correct it, but so far after doing a quick search on the internet it appears it is not supposed to do that.  

But yes I did hear that the oil spot issue was the worst with the D600, which is why they came out with the 610.

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag

Well I tried out my new D5300 for the first time and I have quite a long list of design annoyances. But for one thing, and this is not just Nikon, I don't like reading the manual on the computer screen.  The paper copy is far too basic.  I figured that if the image quality was good, it might be worth it to get used to all the little things I don't like about it.  But then I opened my first RAW images, and right away I see a spot on the sensor.  This should not happen with a brand new camera.  I had heard that Nikon has issues with oil spots on the sensor.  Here is the image and a close crop.  What are your thoughts?  Should I send it back for repair/replacement?attachicon.gif_DSC0115.jpgattachicon.gif_DSC0115crop.jpg

Dust can (and does) end up on your sensor, no matter what DSLR you're using.  The easiest way to clean it include using the in-camera dust removal feature, followed by a manual air blower such as this one:

http://www.adorama.c...VGR9265M2N.html

If that doesn't help (I'm sure it will if your camera is new, though), check out this guide:

Cleaning Your DSLR Sensor - Tutorial Videos | PentaxForums.com

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Sounds like your camera is a demo ex or returned item. File number sequence is set to on by default and can't switch itself to reset automagically. This coupled to your dust bunny points to a camera that has been handled and is *not* pristine from factory. What's your shutter count?

I have written a blog post on how to check the shutter count, available here.

If you search for File number sequence in your manual you will find out which custom setting it is.

Cindy Clicks

Cindy Clicks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Country Flag

Shutter count was fine. I set the number sequence to ON.  

So here is another question:  I was shooting fireworks tonight in P mode.  Sometimes it would choose a super slow shutter speed, like 1 sec.  and other times it would choose a speed of 1/320 sec.  What would cause it to do that? And why does it refuse to go below F6 when I am shooting in low light, even though my lens goes down to F3.5?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

For the fireworks, what metering mode were you in? In matrix mode, just like in evaluative mode, or whatever it is called, on your Canon a small change can lead to the software identifying the scene as something else and change the exposure bias significantly. Centre-weighted is much more predictable.

What lens and what focal length? With consumer zooms come variable max aperture, so a lens that is f/3.5 at it's shortest focal length can be something like 5.6 or 6.3 at it's longest.

Cindy Clicks

Cindy Clicks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Country Flag

It was on center weighted.  But good to know on the focal length.  It is a Tamron 16-300.  I love my Canon 6D with my macro lens, but the D5300 is my all around camera for general shooting.  I like the extended range and it is very light.  

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

The meter can jump with center-weighted too, if you meter with, for example, a cityscape on a centred horizon and the next up into a near-black sky. Nikon centre-weighted is more weighted to the centre than Canon (70-30 vs 60-40) and I think the centre area is bigger than on the consumer Canons.

Cindy Clicks

Cindy Clicks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Country Flag

Ok, next question.  How do I set the center focus point so it stays there.  I set it for center and then the next thing I know it changes.  I have never encountered this problem with my Canons.  Also, why do I get a beep when I focus, but sometimes the red outline square lights up and sometimes it doesn't.  Please help me clear up all this confusion.

Eagles1181

Eagles1181

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • LocationTexas

To lock in center focus, go into the menu focus options select center focus.  What you are on now is dynamic focus.  As for the beeps and red lights, I will have to leave that to somebody else.

Eagle

Cindy Clicks

Cindy Clicks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Country Flag

I have always had it set for single focus point if that is what you mean.  Are you talking about AF-S mode?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

What focus mode are you in? Default is, stupid enough, AF-A which means that the camera will switch to predictive focus tracking by itself. Read page 51 onwards in the manual.

As your camera seems to have been delivered with some screwy menu settings, you should perhaps do a two-button reset (p72) and then reset the custom settings (p183)

Cindy Clicks

Cindy Clicks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks, I will see what happens with AF-S now.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sensor