Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D5200 Video Editing Help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Manusfilms

Manusfilms

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Hello all this is my first post and I just purchased the D5200 and I'm running into a problem already.  I shoot a video and I go to edit it on my editing program (Sony Vegas 7) and it doesn't recognize it.  I did some research and couldn't seem to find much.  Is there a editing program that can edit photo from the camera?  I know Windows Movie Maker works but I don't care for the quality of the video.  Any help would be great!

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag

Adobe Premiere Elements will get the job done, though I've found movie maker to be much faster when you don't need the specialized editing tools.  The D5200 shoots .MOV files in the H.264 format, which is a fairly universal codec.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I actually did my first video with one of my DSLRs a few weeks ago...I don't normally mess with video, but had to video my son as part of a homework project at school...

I have a Mac, but the file was recognized by all of the different software packages I had available...once edited, we published it as an MP4...

greenwing

greenwing

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Yorkshire, UK

Sony Vegas 7 is 7 years old, which predates pretty much all DSLR video, never mind your D5200. As Sportz said, pretty much everything current should recognise D5200 video. The best bet is to download trials for anything you fancy and see which one suits you best.

Chris

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

How did you import the file into Vegas. I found if I clicked and dragged from Windows Explorer then Vegas wouldn't load it. BUT if I did it from the explorer window WITHIN Vegas it would load okay.