Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Modifying old lens

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Tomwlkjr

Tomwlkjr

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth Carolina Coast

56 years ago I bought a Nikkormat FTN with a 50mm f1.4 lens, over the next few yrs I bought a Nikkormat EL with the same lens, in 80-83 I modified one of the lenses to work on my FM. It proudly sits on my D7100 today. Now for my question for you experts. When I modified my lens I had a 50mm f1.4 ai and cut a ai tab at the same location approximately f8, I foolishly sold my 55mm f2.8 macro several years ago but still have my pre ai 55mm f3.5 macro. I'd like to modify either it or my PK3 teleconverter to use on newer cameras, but checking my ai lenses the ai notch is all over the place from f22-f8. so where do I carve my ai notch? I really like to do it on the PK3 and keep the macro lens pre ai and it would let me use the other pre ai lenses on newer cameras, looked at my 2x ai converter and the ai notch is at f22

Brian

Brian

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • Country Flag

My 50/1.4 Ai index is at F8 and the 35mm F2 is at F11. My 43~86 F3.5 - ridge lines up with the "1" of the F16 mark.

Tomwlkjr

Tomwlkjr

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Country Flag

My 50/1.4 Ai index is at F8 and the 35mm F2 is at F11. My 43~86 F3.5 - ridge lines up with the "1" of the F16 mark.

So does the focal lewngth of the lens or max ap;erture determine it?

Tomwlkjr

Tomwlkjr

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Country Flag

Found an old article with ai tab placement for different lenses. so f16+1/3 stop for a f3.5 lens

Brian

Brian

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • Country Flag

So does the focal lewngth of the lens or max ap;erture determine it?

It looks like Maximum Aperture determines that notch.

Tomwlkjr

Tomwlkjr

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Country Flag

It looks like Maximum Aperture determines that notch.

It's confusing, my ai 2x multpler tab is at 22. How does that work when the lens attached has a different tab location?