Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Just bought my first speedlight...

speedlight yongnuo strobist.com

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Eagles1181

Eagles1181

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • LocationTexas

Ever since somebody here (don't remember who) introduced me to strobist.com I have been wanting to start working with off camera lighting.  Well today I finally took the plunge and bought a speedlight, stand, umbrella, wireless trigger and a set of eneloop batteries.  Everything should be here around next weekend.  I am planning on also making a couple of light restricters (grids, snoots, ect...).  Now to jump into the wonderful world on manipulated light.  

Eagle

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Congratulations on taking the plunge, You *will* have some fun times ahead!

How do you plan on making your raster grids? Drinking straws glued together with green ZAPTM work very well mounted with Velcro.

You will probably want to play with some gels too. How do you plan on mounting them?

Flags of several sizes are useful. I make mine from black Depron mounted on coat-hanger wire that is easy to bend to place them where I want them.

Eagles1181

Eagles1181

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • LocationTexas

I am reading a blog now on making raster grids for cereal boxes and drinking straws, and that was the direction I was planning on going.  I am planning on using Velcro to mount things.  Should I get one of the elastic rigs, or just stick the velcro to the flash and not worry about it.  Also should I put the Velcro on all 4 sides, just the long 2 or just the short two?  Any advice is helpful.

Eagle

PS.  I intend to get some gels, but my "fun money" budget is pretty well drained at the moment.  The Gels will have to wait until next month.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I have Velcro on the long sides on my speedlights, which seems to work well. This way I can mount a Lumiquest gel holder that needs to be stretched a little bit to fit snugly without trouble.

The Rosco strobist gel kit is nice and cheap, and swatches from both Lee and Rosco fit in the holder. If money is tight at the moment, you can request a free swatchbook from either manufacturer and mount them with electricians tape on the short sides of the flash head. This is another reason for putting the Velcro on the long sides only...

Eagles1181

Eagles1181

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • LocationTexas
Good to know. I would probably have put the velcro on the short sides without thinking about it if you had not said something.

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

This is much easier to use than sticking adhesive velcro on your flashes, and you can use it on multiple units.

http://www.amazon.co...Lumiquest strap

Eagles1181

Eagles1181

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • LocationTexas
Flash, batteries stand and umbrella arrived. Now just waiting on my radio triggers.

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

You know if you have a CLS compatible flash you can trigger it with your built-in flash (if you have the right camera) and control it etc?

Eagles1181

Eagles1181

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • LocationTexas
I lmow know, and if the triggers don't get here today I will probably play with that over the weekend. I mounted the flash on camera last night just for fun.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I lmow know, and if the triggers don't get here today I will probably play with that over the weekend. I mounted the flash on camera last night just for fun.

Out of curiosity, which speedlight did you get?

--Ron

Eagles1181

Eagles1181

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • LocationTexas
Yongnuo 560iii. My trigger arrived today. Had a little time to play with it this evening. Happy so far.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Have fun! 

--Ron

etrigan63

etrigan63

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationEarth

Just posted this in another thread, you should check out the Neewer TT850 (aka Godox Ving V850) speedlight. It is powered by a lithium-ion battery good for 650 full power pops and lightning fast recycle times. Did a newborn shoot with mine today and it worked a treat. The radio trigger is inexpensive and allows you to remotely change the flash's power levels.

Here's one from today:

IMG-20140621-00018-Edit.jpg

Eagles1181

Eagles1181

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • LocationTexas
I will have to look into that, but have to save up before I can afford a second light.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: speedlight, yongnuo, strobist.com