Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Settings

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

brrttpaul

brrttpaul

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Country Flag

Picking your brains here, I am going to a country show tomorrow armed with a nikon d7100, a sigma 300 2.8 lens and a 2x converter. There will be lurcher racing, terrier racing, various dog handling displays and falconry. It is expected to be sunny and bright. What settings would you be looking at first? A mode shutter speed or fully manual?. I would like to get some nice shots of dogs at full speed and also falcons in flight. (my main goal)

Eagles1181

Eagles1181

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • LocationTexas

If the lighting is stable I would use manual.  If you are tracking things through various lighting conditions I would go to some form of semi-auto (shutter priority most likely).

Eagle

brrttpaul

brrttpaul

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Country Flag

thx , the chances are its a beautiful sunny day. interesting you say shutter and not aperture as most of the bird forums say go for aperture you would think shutter speed as a given. Im still not sure on my focusing even though i use a 2nd button as my focus lock not the shutter release button.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I would probably use either shutter priority or manual with auto ISO activated. Centre weighted metering with as hard center weighting as you can set is useful too if you are used to center weighted, otherwise use matrix...

• Ron likes this

Eagles1181

Eagles1181

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • LocationTexas

With something fast moving like a bird, I would want to ensure the shutter speeds are fast enough to freeze the motion.  With aperture priority you run the risk of the bird flying though a shadow and the camera drops the shutter speed.

Eagle

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Excellent advice. I'm a fan of aperture priority exposure but when you need the shutter speed to remain constant, shutter priority is the only way to go. Manual exposure would also work as well as long as lighting is consistent.

--Ron

brrttpaul

brrttpaul

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Country Flag

I really dont understand exposure comp it really fuzzles my brain. Lets say im in AP mode on 5.6 my shutter speed is 1/600 sec and its a bit dark, i do +1 ex comp and hey presto. My shutter speed is still the same so is my AP so I,m guessing its raised the iso? why dont I just raise the iso then?. The chances are its going to be bright I was going to start off with a low ISO, about 200 and build around that. I dont want to go to 2.8 prefering to stay around 4 or 5.6 then see what shutter speed I am at, if its to low I was thinking change the iso as i know im ok up to 800 noise wise. I was also thinking centre weighted on continuous with a pretty tight circle the ( 9 dots focus)

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I think the default of the D7100 is AutoISO = on, you have to turn it off in the menu to get full manual or fully predictable control.

brrttpaul

brrttpaul

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Country Flag

Thx for all the help guys and it will be taken on board, just out of curiosity is it worth trying the 3D mode for focusing?

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I used to think the same way...However, I know several sports photographers who approach it the other way...they want the wide open aperture for bokeh so they go aperture priority and set a high enough ISO to keep their shutter speed fast...

If you aren't used to shooting moving subjects, I might error on the side of caution and do at least some shots with a large depth of field...not too large as you'll still want the background blurred but larger to give you a better rate of keepers.  

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag

Thx for all the help guys and it will be taken on board, just out of curiosity is it worth trying the 3D mode for focusing?

If you expect your subject to regularly move toward or away from your camera rather than side-to-side, then yes.

I would recommend shooting in shutter priority mode.  In certain cases you might want to opt for a slower shutter speed while panning, which would render a blurred background while keeping the subject sharp.  This technique can really enhance photos of moving objects!

Kenafein

Kenafein

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Country Flag

Haven't checked the setting in awhile, but can you set the minimum shutter speed to 1/800 and use aperture, if you want?  Normally I'd use shutter is a tracking situation.  

I really dont understand exposure comp it really fuzzles my brain. Lets say im in AP mode on 5.6 my shutter speed is 1/600 sec and its a bit dark, i do +1 ex comp and hey presto. My shutter speed is still the same so is my AP so I,m guessing its raised the iso? why dont I just raise the iso then?. The chances are its going to be bright I was going to start off with a low ISO, about 200 and build around that. I dont want to go to 2.8 prefering to stay around 4 or 5.6 then see what shutter speed I am at, if its to low I was thinking change the iso as i know im ok up to 800 noise wise. I was also thinking centre weighted on continuous with a pretty tight circle the ( 9 dots focus)

When you use compensation you're simply telling the camera to adjust the EV higher or lower than what it would have picked on its own, based on metering mode.  It does this by adjusting one of the 3 settings ISO, Shutter or Aperture.  Compensation is meaningless in manual, because you control all those settings, so it only works for the other modes.  

brrttpaul

brrttpaul

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Country Flag

k guys the time has come wish me luck

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Good luck! I hope you'll post some of the results here in the forum.

brrttpaul

brrttpaul

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Country Flag
DSC2796
DSC2935

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Nice captures!

When the light is as good as it looks like it was, aperture priority to control the DOF is definitely the right way to go. Had the light been more marginal, the first one could easily have got a too long shutter speed and blurred. Congratulations on work well done.

brrttpaul

brrttpaul

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Country Flag

It was hard work TBH, the one bird was virtually pure white against a bright sky and the other was very dark flying about 6ft from the floor.  Missed quite a lot due to kids deciding to come in the end ( I say kids ones 21 next week the others 19 lol)

Kenafein

Kenafein

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Country Flag

Great work.

brrttpaul

brrttpaul

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Country Flag

Thx very much, I enjoyed it but if I am honest I much prefer the wildlife rather than the staged events too many people jostling for places and too much going on at the same time for my liking. 

DSC2723
DSC2703