Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Just bought a set of MagMod Flash Modifiers...

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Anybody else using these things?

http://magnetmod.com

I'd been eyeing them for awhile because the ad kept kicking up on my Facebook page…another local photographer bought a set and really liked them but decided they didn't fit his style, so I bought them from him for a reduced price. I've tried them out only once so far, and they do exactly what they say they will…

Now I just need to find more ways to use them. I'm not feeling tremendously creative these days…sigh... 

• Ron likes this

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I use homemade rasters and snoots mounted with Velcro or rubber bands on both studio flashes and speedlights. The rasters are made from black drinking straws glued together with a slow cyanoacrylate like Zap green. I think I will try something like the magnetic mounting of the MagMod though...

The gel holder I use for speedlights is made by Lumiquest and sold with a set of gels by Rosco.

For an exercise using gels, why not put a full CTO on the flash, white balance to tungsten and shoot a portrait or two outdoors. See what happens with the sky and background? The same effect but more moderate can be had by using a weaker CTO or CTStraw and white balance for that coloured light using a grey card. Playing with light is always fun...

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Sounds like a fun experiment…I'll see if I can find some time this weekend.

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

Be interested to hear your future opinions on this system once you have more experience with using it.

etrigan63

etrigan63

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationEarth

I bought the MagMod kit via Kickstarter and got a great deal on them. Best gel/modifier system I have ever used.

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

I'm glad to hear that, etrigan63. I haven't used them too much yet--still kind of figuring out what I can do or want to do with them. I have experimented a bit--mostly with the grids. Still need to find time to try Peter's suggestion above...

The magnets in them are amazingly strong! I pinched the heck out of myself when two of them came out of the rubber housing and stuck together with my skin between them. And I never could get those two magnets apart--had to have my husband go at them with pliers. Their strength surprised me because they are quite small. I need to find more time to play with them! (The system, not the magnets. :) )

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Playing with neodymium magnets can be quite fun too... What size are the magnets?

etrigan63

etrigan63

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationEarth

Maybe 10-12mm in diameter. I would measure except they keep sticking to my tape measure. :P

Squibs

Squibs

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorfolk, United kingdom.

This looks really useful, however I have my doubts and neo magnets and memory cards / camera electronics. Any feedback on this yet?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

This looks really useful, however I have my doubts and neo magnets and memory cards / camera electronics. Any feedback on this yet?

Shouldn't be a problem unless you for some reason keep them in the same pocket. I have had to mount ΓΈ8x4 mm neos just a mm or two from processor-controlled speed regulators without shielding without any trouble.

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

I haven't had any issues...but my flashes are always off camera, and the modifiers have been stored in a different bag. I'm not worried.

yauman

yauman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMartinez, CA

As a retired physicist/instrumentation engineer, let me assure you that there is nothing even remotely magnetic in the memory cards. So no worries. The "1" and "0" written into the chip are different quantum states and not affected by magnetic energy. Now cosmic ray? Not so sure, as incoming photons may have enough energy to bump a bit into a different quantum state. So if you leave an SD card on top of Mt Everest, it may degrade in say a few hundred years! :(

Squibs

Squibs

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Country Flag

Well gladly I'm not planning on scaling the big one just yet with my camera. As for quantum mechanics, I stopped at Schrodinger's cat.  I was thinking more along the lines of induced current corrupting the binary code.

yauman

yauman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMartinez, CA

Nah.. I won't worry about that either :) The SD card specification requires a 3.3v to 5v pulse for the "write" clocking circuit and very specific clocking frequency to change any bits. So I doubt you can induce an electrical signal in a magnetic field strong enough to induce that level of signal short of spinning it inside an MRI 1.5Tesla magnetic field.  Hmm.. that's a great experiment to try - see if I can ask my MRI research friends to send an SD card through one of those things in a patient's pocket!  Will report back!  I'm sure Schrodinger's Cat will be amused if not bemused!  :rolleyes:

Squibs

Squibs

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Country Flag

"I'm sure Schrodinger's Cat will be amused if not bemused!" Sweet! I'm liking your style. :lol: