Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Photographer's Legal Rights in Public

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway
Here's a good article that Thumper showed me.

It's better to know this beforehand when you are out snapping away in public places.

Rights of a Photographer in the United States of America

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

That's a clear and concise article. I've seen the card before, but I've never printed it out. I'm not a street photographer and I don't think I photograph sensitive buildings, so maybe I think I'm immune. :) Still it might be a good idea to have it on hand.

Did you see this? Kinda hilarious.

PINAC News | Little Brother Watching Big Brother

Kenafein

Kenafein

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Country Flag

That's a clear and concise article. I've seen the card before, but I've never printed it out. I'm not a street photographer and I don't think I photograph sensitive buildings, so maybe I think I'm immune. :) Still it might be a good idea to have it on hand.

Did you see this? Kinda hilarious.

PINAC News | Little Brother Watching Big Brother

Ugh, unbelievable, what a psycho.  It's a good thing he had that video.  Maybe everyone should wear a go-pro, at all times, for their own protection.  

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Ugh, unbelievable, what a psycho.  It's a good thing he had that video.  Maybe everyone should wear a go-pro, at all times, for their own protection.  

Kind of like Russian drivers all seem to have dash cameras in their cars!

Mr_Leeman

Mr_Leeman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Country Flag

Great share! Did a shoot of a truck a few months back. The driver knew a good spot around the corner from his warehouse and we took his word for it. About 10 minutes in a police car came and drove very slowly passed us, and there was no other reason for them to be there than us, as we were at a dead end.

They didn't stop, but i wondred why they came. Turned out that the building, which had no branding or exterior signage - with reflective glass, was infact the factory for a Forumal 1 team - so we guessed they'd called them thinking we may have been after trade secrets.lol

Handy info to have!

Currently looking at legal stuff at work, as we photograph lots of people at shows, customers etc - yet we never get a signed disclaimer to say they're okay for us to use the images. Apparantly the soliciter says a verbal agreement is acceptable. Which surpsied me.

Eagles1181

Eagles1181

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • LocationTexas
What are you using the photos for? Unless they are used in your marketing campaign you should be OK without the forms.

Verbal is fine until the subject denies they gave you verbal permission.

Eagle

Mr_Leeman

Mr_Leeman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Country Flag

We use the images mainly for internal guides/training maunals. But we also use them in newsletters and some other extranal items. From know on we are getting signatures... just in case. There will no doubt come a day that happens.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,632 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

In the EU, verbal should be enough, if not for commercial use (marketing). Written is always better though. Newsletters go under editorial usage.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

The Easy Release app would be quite good for that...they can sign right on the screen...