Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Studio Sessions - Caitlin

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Wired

Wired

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

I'm very lucky to have a friend that is willing to deal with me trying to pose her for an hour or two while I work on my skills. When it comes to posing I'm very inexperienced as I mostly deal with live music and event photography.  This is what I came up with:

14016459648_aa927639a4_b.jpgcaitlin websized (2 of 14) by LK_335, on Flickr

14016459558_7c5b88b7f1_b.jpgcaitlin websized (3 of 14) by LK_335, on Flickr

14203016844_951baefc26_b.jpgcaitlin websized (4 of 14) by LK_335, on Flickr

14179991376_4294f3e80f_b.jpgcaitlin websized (6 of 14) by LK_335, on Flickr

14199837751_42feb92da3_b.jpgcaitlin websized (7 of 14) by LK_335, on Flickr

14203016024_476d478126_b.jpgcaitlin websized (9 of 14) by LK_335, on Flickr

14016457729_504d52f9b9_b.jpgcaitlin websized (12 of 14) by LK_335, on Flickr

This is just a small sampling. I got quite a few images to go through. Theres one series that I love the backdrop I used, but I also backlit her with a strobe and it blew her hair into a lightning mess... I'm trying to figure out how to fix that. I also did a series of headshots to warm up that I need to go through too.

Critique is more than welcome, and encouraged.

thanks for viewing 

Edit: a couple more:

The first three here are from the backlit series. They were the most "salvageable" for the poor use of the strobe. and yes, #3 is badly out of focus

14019829758_aaa417f770_b.jpgCaitlin - Lighting series by LK_335, on Flickr

14019852198_fb996eb759_b.jpgset 2  (5 of 11) by LK_335, on Flickr

14206395204_edfb3a013e_b.jpgset 2  (3 of 11) by LK_335, on Flickr

Really worked on this one to really enhance the mood:

14226662733_dc96dc322f_b.jpgset 2  (6 of 11) by LK_335, on Flickr

One final one of her smile. 

14019830208_9842742787_b.jpgCaitlin - Lighting series by LK_335, on Flickr

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

Overall, lighting looks pretty good.  Without seeing your backlit shots, I wouldn't know how to fix them, but sometimes one can go overboard with strobes and the simpler lighting setups are easier to work with.  Hair also has to be perfectly straight if you're backlighting, or those flyaways will be very pronounced.

I like the setting/background on the 4th and 5th shots.  I think the white shirt against the black backdrop works a lot better than the black top against the white.  The colors really pop in the red chair, too.  In  the last headshot, when you're working with the model, have her turn her head (or move your light source if you can) to where the catchlights match in both eyes.

Wired

Wired

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Oh yea there was stray hairs everywhere and it really messed up the shot which was unfortunate. Should have chomped I guess.

Thanks for the advice. I notice that with the catch lights now. I can see how that would have brought it to the next level.

Wired

Wired

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Overall, lighting looks pretty good.  Without seeing your backlit shots, I wouldn't know how to fix them, but sometimes one can go overboard with strobes and the simpler lighting setups are easier to work with.  Hair also has to be perfectly straight if you're backlighting, or those flyaways will be very pronounced.

I like the setting/background on the 4th and 5th shots.  I think the white shirt against the black backdrop works a lot better than the black top against the white.  The colors really pop in the red chair, too.  In  the last headshot, when you're working with the model, have her turn her head (or move your light source if you can) to where the catchlights match in both eyes.

I added the backlit photos to the first post. I also added another from the mirror set. let me know what you think. I've appreciated the feedback. 

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

Nice set. I like the red chair shot the best.

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

I think that last photo came out really nice, proving you don't always have to have a backlight or hair light, and the easier setup gives you less headaches later. However, the right side of her hair could use a tiny a amount of separation from the backdrop. Boosting exposure may actually be just enough, or it could just look a little too dark on my ipad. What lens were you using for the really close cropped headshot?

Wired

Wired

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

I think that last photo came out really nice, proving you don't always have to have a backlight or hair light, and the easier setup gives you less headaches later. However, the right side of her hair could use a tiny a amount of separation from the backdrop. Boosting exposure may actually be just enough, or it could just look a little too dark on my ipad. What lens were you using for the really close cropped headshot?

Thanks. That was one light to camera right

Most of the head shots were with the 135 2.0 DC. The exception is the red backdrop looking over the shoulder image which was shot with the 80-200 f2.8 AFD