Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Raw or Jpeg

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Site Supporter

One of the things I have been amazed about is, apart from all the stars in sky, is the amount of free photgraphic knowledge and tips that is available on this forum and across the web. As someone quite rightly pointed out in another string earlier, you have to be wise as there are people who are just 'winging' it on the subject. On the topic of RAW and jpeg, I have come across an interesting site of a guy who is into shooting Raw in a big way. He has a website, produces training material and is on facebook - Tips for Taking Photos | Photography Tip | How To for Photographers He is that passionaite about this particular approrach that he has t shirts printed with 'shooting RAW'.

nikoninjection

nikoninjection

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationRiverside Ca

Site Supporter

I shoot both but it slows down my processing on my D3200 so depending on what I am shooting I will switch between JPEG and raw

SmilingRose

SmilingRose

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

I shoot in Jpeg; unless it is something very important, like a wedding, then I will use raw.

Warrick

Warrick

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

As a photojournalist i take pictures in their 1000's sometimes and although shooting 'RAW' gives higher advantages for edits i find shooting 'JPEG' stil gives me fantastic results and still quite editable and as i shoot mostly in  burst mode i find this the best options.

Im using a D3200..

WHats your choice of shooting format ?

My last camera i owned had raw and jpeg as i was only starting out (almost 10 years ago) i didnt have any idea on raw, Since i have had my D600 i will not go back to jpeg, so much more versatile in editing without losses and or degradation of data evertime is save is needed as well as being able to revert back to an original without losses.

only downside is conversion to jpeg can be hard depending on certain software but nikon has their own software for this so in my opinion use raw!

Storage these days is cheaper everyday and for the size increase is completely justified for the quality retained in a raw file

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway

RAW BABY!!!!

greenwing

greenwing

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Yorkshire, UK

I was surprised down at the camera club (OK, sad old man here) when not one other Nikon owner knew that View NX could convert RAW files. They were all banging on about ACR and which version of PS supported the ACR for their camera and how much it costs to get the latest PS etc. and the floor went quiet when I asked if they knew that View NX could do basic RAW conversion.

Gump85

Gump85

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Country Flag

View NX will convert Raw files but if you edit an NEF file in Capture NX and save the Raw File, you cannot use View NX to convert. It will only convert the original NEF file. For ease of use, I use Capture NX and batch convert to jpeg when all editing is done.After using this program for the past 5 years, I need to update to something more features.

Big Lew

Big Lew

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Country Flag
I'm very much in the RAW camp.

I find that the editing power of RAW is absolutely perfect for me to bring out the true beauty of abandoned sites. What somebody would see as an eyesore can be transformed into a showstopping picture just by a few tweaks.

When I first got into photography I stuck purely with JPEG because the way people were talking about RAW made me think it was some sort of rocket science to process your images but I would now strongly recommend it to anyone who is thinking of making the leap from JPEG to RAW.

gabrioch

gabrioch

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag

RAW is great, you have more chances to play with the colors and light in post-production. But I think shooting in jpg push you to improve your technique, and creativity.

asque2000

asque2000

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPortland, ME

I'm a "mixed bag" here.  I like the idea of RAW and the higher dynamic range etc., however I think image quality is getting so high that there is no discernible difference from an "average" photographer's perspective. Additionally, JPEGs actually make use of Nikon's in camera image processing, which they have spent decades perfecting their signature, so I feel RAW is sort of an injustice to that.  I would be in the crowd that shoots RAW + Fine, but that slows your camera down so much that I can't get good bursts.  

It's a love/hate relationship with DSLRs because there is a benefit/cost with every decision made. 

DO_Photography

DO_Photography

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationrochester kent

I always always shot the best setting's I could, why waste any information, but now I have the d750, I have been shooting raw but 12 bit (lossy) compressed, and whilst there is technically a difference I cannot see it. I'm sure if I shot the same scene side by side one 14 bit lossless and one 12 bit lossy that there is a difference but i'm not sure it is noticeably 'worse'

I'm pretty sure my clients don't view the images at 1:1 anyway!

but what it means is I can get double the number of photos on the card and still retain most of their edit ability I don't under or over expose by 4 stops to see a difference!

I will probably change my mind down the line when cards and hdd space is cheaper but storing and backing up twice a few thousand images from a wedding is a lot of space! 

I would not shoot 8 bit jpeg though!

Regards

Dean