Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Raw or Jpeg

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

Cliff Hairston

Cliff Hairston

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationChristchurch, NZ

I use both myself. Just a hobbyist but I choose to do both. I post the jpg to wherever and save the raw for later just in case I want to play with the image at all. Sure, it takes up a lot of space on the card I'm using but it is worth it to me. 

Landscaaped

Landscaaped

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHalifax United Kingdom.

Im using a D3200..

WHats your choice of shooting format ?

Good choice of camera mate, Jpeg for me with same camera.

Davem45

Davem45

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationStoke on Trent

Raw 99.9% of the time I only shoot Jpeg when I'm useing my phone !!

robinchun

robinchun

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBristol, England
RAW for me..so much more you can get from a RAW file

Robin

Kenneth Terry

Kenneth Terry

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Country Flag

I always shoot RAW, then save to Jpeg after editing.

CarrieAnne

CarrieAnne

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba

For me my photo's are all for personal things so it's all JPEG.

charles76

charles76

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Site Supporter

If I'm out and know I will be editing with my tablet, I shoot RAW. Something quick where I know I won't need to worry about total control, JPEG. Sometimes, it depends on what format I feel like shooting in most days.

AndyLewis

AndyLewis

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Country Flag

I prefer shooting in RAW format, it allows greater retention of image data which is preferable for me to the reduced quantity of recordable images. Once it goes through Lightroom, even for the most minimal post processing, images published out of Lightroom will be automatically converted to JPEG. 

phoxst

phoxst

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMichigan
Most of the time I shoot RAW+Jpeg, that way if I don't do any editing I can get the picture out faster. I prefer RAW for editing though.

DanWeso

DanWeso

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew York

I shoot RAW+jpeg fine set to Vivid with slightly modified settings for sharpness, contrast and saturation. I mostly use the jpegs for reference and process the raw files, but when needed use the jpegs straight out of the camera.

Gump85

Gump85

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Country Flag

Raw Picture files 14 bit lossless compressed

burdadi

burdadi

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Country Flag

When i started in photography i shoot with jpeg, but when i learned the DSLR i have to shoot RAW to make it sure and i can still adjust the exposure!

onewiththecamera

onewiththecamera

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSparta, MI

I shoot all RAW. I use Apple's Aperture. If I did not use Aperture I would use Lightroom. The workflow is so easy with RAW files with either Aperture or LR that I don't see any advantage going with JPG. I have had a number of times I got the exposure wrong enough that I could not save a JPG but I could save a RAW. I don't have any issues with JPG, but it just does not fit my workflow any more.

greatscott94

greatscott94

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSurrey, BC

Site Supporter

100% RAW for me, I want complete control over my photos. My D800 has such incredible dynamic range, to fully capitalize on the DR  RAW is the way to go.

You might not feel that you need to edit your photos at this point in your photography but if in 2 years you find yourself doing more processing you can't up-convert from JPEG to RAW but you can always down-convert from RAW to JPEG.

Cheers

PhilSmith

PhilSmith

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCambridge Ont Canada

Raw for sure more room for editing

Donpnz

Donpnz

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationGisborne, NZ

Started using RAW about 3 years back and never looked back, except I will use jpegs if shooting a ton of pics in one session (e.g. social occasions) BUT even then RAW wins every time if lighting is getting tricky.
Takes a longer time to do processing however ACR also speeds up my post-work before the final fiddle in PShop

C17EHSE

C17EHSE

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTacoma, WA

I shoot RAW almost exclusively and process with Lightroom 4 (Upgrading to 5 next week) and then PSE12. 

Joshua Lee

Joshua Lee

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Country Flag

Always RAW. It is just so much better and easier to take care of the AW and fine adjustment later at my computer in a non-destructive way.   If I have my way I will even make my cell phone shoot RAW. 

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

I always shoot RAW and edit in Lightroom and PS. I understand why some people shoot jpeg though, and I suspect that if I shot sports I would shoot jpeg too. 

If I had a D800 with its huge data files I might be tempted to shoot jpeg... Huzzah for the D600.

garthir

garthir

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Country Flag
I mostly shoot JPEG, but when I encounter something wonderful I almost always flip it to raw. I am very unskilled in editing but know I have the information saved for alteration at a later date.