Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Raw or Jpeg

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

Mark Win

Mark Win

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorthern Ireland / UK / Ireland / Europe

Site Supporter

As a photojournalist i take pictures in their 1000's sometimes and although shooting 'RAW' gives higher advantages for edits i find shooting 'JPEG' stil gives me fantastic results and still quite editable and as i shoot mostly in  burst mode i find this the best options.

Im using a D3200..

WHats your choice of shooting format ?

edmercer

edmercer

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Country Flag

I mostly shoot jpeg but for wedding and engagements I will let jpegs go to one card while raw file go to the other.

Rontography

Rontography

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Country Flag

I like RAW. Always have, always will. But if I'm shooting a kids sporting event I have a tendency to shoot JPEG. It's just easier to deal with a ton of shots and get them posted quickly and it does increase the burst speed.

GregM1

GregM1

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPine Forest, Texas

if you have lightroom, photoshop, or another raw processor. always, always, always shoot raw. always. :P i only use the smallest jpeg setting for a reference photo. i do photojournalism and have lots of images to process too. once you have a standard layout for the day's, or hour's, images; you save the setting in raw and make it an instant action for the rest.

Twanky

Twanky

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Country Flag

I always use RAW, as i use Photoshop to fine tune, before saving as a jpg

mariol

mariol

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Country Flag

I use RAW but convert them to DNG via Lightroom as they leave the camera.

MonochromeColour

MonochromeColour

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationShropshire UK

I am a Raw shooter and again use Photoshop and Lightroom I do save Tiff and Jpeg of edits. Having said that if I am shooting action I do shoot Jpeg as it reduces buffering time.

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag

As a photojournalist i take pictures in their 1000's sometimes and although shooting 'RAW' gives higher advantages for edits i find shooting 'JPEG' stil gives me fantastic results and still quite editable and as i shoot mostly in  burst mode i find this the best options.

Im using a D3200..

WHats your choice of shotting format ?

I usually go with RAW+, as the JPEGs are then always be there for when JPEG is good enough, but if you need more control, you can switch to raw.  With how cheap memory has become these days, shooting in this mode shouldn't be a problem as long as your card/camera are fast enough for writing to the card.

Wolfzbane

Wolfzbane

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAlberta

I always go with jpg, I never have felt the need to go with RAW.

Bill

Bill

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Country Flag
I shoot RAW. Most of my photos are of weather specifically lightning and shooting RAW give me much better results. I do use both Lightroom as well as Photoshop CS6.

Mark Win

Mark Win

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I always go with jpg, I never have felt the need to go with RAW.

I would agree with you, ive never felt the need to change.. I suppose if we are shooting weddings etc some prefer 'raw' but Jpegs give such a good quality as well.. I think 'raw' is the best option if editing is in the mind of the photographer..

Ignacior

Ignacior

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSan Diego

I forced myself to shoot jpg, i try and do most of my adjustments/ editing "in camera". I find it forces me to think more.

greenwing

greenwing

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Yorkshire, UK

I shoot RAW+JPEG, but don't often use the RAW files. They're there if I ever need them, if ever I & the camera conspire to get an unusable jpg.

RAUL

RAUL

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCanada

raw+jpeg is a good choice across the board esp with post editing.

Jan

Jan

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationGeneva, Illinois

Mostly shoot RAW and edit in Lightroom. But occasionally when I'm photographing fast action I'll use fine jpeg so the buffer doesn't slow me down.

JoyN87

JoyN87

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Country Flag

raw+jpeg is a good choice across the board esp with post editing.

Good idea.

cjmillsnun

cjmillsnun

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPetersfield, Hampshire, UK

Mainly RAW but when shooting football (soccer to those on the wrong side of the pond ;) ) I use Jpeg because of the small buffer in the D7000.

Mark Win

Mark Win

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Mainly RAW but when shooting football (soccer to those on the wrong side of the pond ;) ) I use Jpeg because of the small buffer in the D7000.

If i may ask CJ, what settings do you find best work when shooting football.

Vyolater

Vyolater

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Country Flag

I'm with the RAW crowd. I do my editing in PS then save as in RAW and save as in jpeg. I do RAW and jpeg in highest settings if I have to get an immediate copy to somebody.

cjmillsnun

cjmillsnun

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPetersfield, Hampshire, UK

Mark, the way I work is to shoot in aperture priority mode and open up the lens as far as possible.  Use the ISO to keep the shutter speed at roughly 1/1000.  With the D7000 you can work even with slowish (f/5.6) lenses under poor floodlighting (I generally shoot at non league matches) as the image quality is OK even at ISO 6400