Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nikon 85mm f/3.5 Micro Nikkor Lens

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Grdnangl313

Grdnangl313

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Country Flag

I am trying this lens out right now (has to go back today) and really cannot afford the 105mm that I've been hearing so much about.  What is your opinion of this lens?  Should I keep it?  Wait tilI can afford the 105mm??  Or get a different lens all together for macro pics?

I want to photograph flowers in my gardens, butterflies, etc.

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway
How do you like it? What is the price tag? Link?

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I am trying this lens out right now (has to go back today) and really cannot afford the 105mm that I've been hearing so much about.  What is your opinion of this lens?  Should I keep it?  Wait tilI can afford the 105mm??  Or get a different lens all together for macro pics?

I want to photograph flowers in my gardens, butterflies, etc.

The question should be, how do you like it? Does it do what you expect of it? Do you like the way it handles? Is focusing an issue? Is the viewfinder image bright enough for critical focusing. And, is the image quality satisfactory?  

What someone else thinks of a lens is really meaningless as far as you're concerned. Any recommendation you receive will be colored by the biases of the person making the recommendation. Personally, I use an old 60mm f2.8D Micro Nikkor that I bought back in the nineties. I'm quite satisfied with the results but you may be more demanding. The only way for you to be sure would be for you to try it out and see if it meets your own expectations. 

--Ron

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,528 posts
  • Country Flag
As Ron pointed out: how did YOU like it?

Did it allow you to do what you wanted? Also, what couldn't you do?

Do you also have the possibility to test the 105mm?
(Btw. I have neither the 85, nor the 105, so I can't compare the two lenses)

If you can test and find that the 105 is worth the difference (it is not exactly double the price) , ask yourself how much it is out of reach (1 month, 3 months, more)?

My wife is using a 100/2.8 macro on a Sony body and she really likes it. What I think to be the more important than the focal length difference between 85 and 105, is the max aperture, because it produces a nicer bokeh while allowing for shorter exposure times.

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

I rented the 105mm f/2.8 for this week (has to go back this Friday). I have only taken a few shots with it so far, but I can tell you that it will be my next lens. It is a bit pricey, in fact, even the used and refurbished ones are only a slight price break. At close to $1k USD new, I'll have to save for a bit to get this one. It will round out my very modest collection of lenses. I didn't know what I was missing until I rented this lens, and I am anxious to do more with it.

Not having tried the 85mm, I most definitely fall into the biased crowd in regards to this lens. As others have stated, it will come down to what YOU think and want to spend. (Value being an individually relative term). Is it worth it to YOU? But if you are undecided, maybe try renting the 105mm and comparing it to the 85mm before dropping any money on purchasing either. One of the many benefits of rental lenses is the "test drive" factor, allowing you to try before you buy. That way, you can make a more confident purchase and know that what you purchase is what you want and will make you happy.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I only wish I could afford a 105mm Micro Nikkor! LOL 

--Ron

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

I only wish I could afford a 105mm Micro Nikkor! LOL 

--Ron

Oh, me too!! It will be a while before I am going to have the money to buy one. I am going to have to save for quite a while, but I will have one. Some day. :D
  • Ron likes this

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway
The 105 is a true pro lens.

I have a friend who has an old one, probably 20 years old, and never uses it anymore, but refuses to part with it.

(I even offered him a nice handgun in trade too!)

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Hey Thumper - I'll purchase a brand new 105 micro and give it to you - you can give me the D4 in return :D !

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I used to have the 105VR, but I sold it. The 2.8 AI or AIS is sharper and does not focus-breathe as much at close distances. The 4 AI is the sharpest of them all and has the least CA, probably because it is unitfocusing. I focus manually to get the precision at macro magnifications anyway.

As to the original question, I would probably rent a 105VR and compare them for your use. What body do you use?

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I used to have the 105VR, but I sold it. The 2.8 AI or AIS is sharper and does not focus-breathe as much at close distances. The 4 AI is the sharpest of them all and has the least CA, probably because it is unitfocusing. I focus manually to get the precision at macro magnifications anyway.

As to the original question, I would probably rent a 105VR and compare them for your use. What body do you use?

I always thought VR was a bit of a gimmick on a macro lens anyway. Ditto for auto focus. If you're shooting at high magnification ratios, you should be using a sturdy tripod and not hand holding in the first place. Of course I know a lot of people do so maybe it's a bit of help to them.  

--Ron

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I always thought VR was a bit of a gimmick on a macro lens anyway. Ditto for auto focus. If you're shooting at high magnification ratios, you should be using a sturdy tripod and not hand holding in the first place. Of course I know a lot of people do so maybe it's a bit of help to them.  

--Ron

The worst thing about the VR version for me is not the VR or the AF by themselves, but the IF. The working distance at 1:2 or better is short...

• Ron likes this