Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Portfolio

portfolio help how to

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

marco polo

marco polo

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Country Flag

Hey guys

I am starting out and was wondering how I can start a succesful and appealing protfolio(s)

I have no clue where to start, which pics to include etc...

I have access to lightroom 4 and photoshop cs6

Thanks in advance

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts
  • Country Flag
That's a bit vague (at least to me) for providing a senseful reply. Can you please explain what you are shooting and what you aim at with your portfolio. How do you see the relation to photoprocessing software?

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Yes, Jerry has some good questions. Who is your audience? What are your goals? What is the genre you are aiming to display? Without some answers we won't be able to give you good help.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Agree with Jerry and Nicole...You can put a portfolio together, but typically portfolios are targeted towards a particular style of photography in the hopes of gaining work in that area.  In my case, I am working to build a portfolio of sports photography.  I may have a separate portfolio of other types of photos, but a nice sunset or portrait of a model won't help me get recognized as a sports photographer.  That said, only include the best of your best and keep improving it over time. 

marco polo

marco polo

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Country Flag

Well... i mean a general portfolio to WOW anybody... What should i include??

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Well, if that's all you're going to give us, all I can say is…include your very best, most flawless pictures…the pictures you have taken that make YOU say wow.

It would be helpful to know who you're trying to wow and what genre you're hoping to wow in. Maybe you need to figure that out before you think about trying to wow anyone.

Are you hoping to be a fashion photographer? Then include your best photos that show you can do that.

Are you hoping to sell landscape and nature photos? Then include your best photos that show you can do that.

Etc. etc. with any genre you can think of.

In your mind, what is the purpose of putting a portfolio together? Are you trying to get a paying gig, or do you just want the gratification of people saying wow? 

If you want the paying gig, then you put images in your portfolio that show you can achieve what your client wants--but first you need to know who your client is. That's why we're asking for purpose and audience. I shoot mostly portraits, and it would be silly of me to show a portfolio of wedding portraits to a hunting and fishing magazine.

So, take a minute to figure out who you're trying to impress and then look at what kind of images they might be looking for. That's what you put into your portfolio.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I agree with Nicole...you shouldn't need other people to tell you you want to put your best photos into a portfolio so not sure what we can provide you without more details...

kevy73

kevy73

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPerth, Western Australia

Start with what you have.  If you have 100 portraits - pick your best 10 and promote those.  As your skills improve and you take better image, swap these new pics in for the ones you think aren't as good.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: portfolio, help, how to