Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Google Analytics

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway
Hi Everyone,

I just linked my Smugmug site with Google Analytics and I am about to ask you a favor. Please click on the link below and just browse around and look at some of my pics. I need to see what kind of user information it gives me.

It does not report anything in any detail about YOU, as far as I know, it should just give me some data on how many people are looking at my pictures.

Alden's Photo Album

Eagles1181

Eagles1181

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • LocationTexas

I would be happy to help, but it is not going to any good.  I have plugins installed on my browser that block all of the website tracking stuff like Google Analytic.  (Call me paranoid).  I am sure others will jump in and help you out.

Eagle

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
Thanks Eagles. I already heard back from a couple of people who tell me that they have looked at it, but I see no information.

That may be why I'm not seeing anything.

This may not work at all. I'm just doing it out of curiosity really.

Eagles1181

Eagles1181

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • LocationTexas

If I understand Google Analytic the results are not instantaneous.  I have seen the reports (we use it on our website at work), and they are very helpful and detailed.  Check back in a day or so, and you should have some information.

Eagle

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
OK, thanks!

deano

deano

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationColorado USA

Site Supporter

to give you some data feedback, I visited your website, May 01, @1410.

BTW: You sure like sharp objects.  Just last week i made a decision to go back to a single-edge razor.  Smoother job than those mulit-edge plastic throw-aways.

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag

to give you some data feedback, I visited your website, May 01, @1410.
BTW: You sure like sharp objects.  Just last week i made a decision to go back to a single-edge razor.  Smoother job than those mulit-edge plastic throw-aways.

Hahaha! Yeah, I'm a big fan of old-style shaving. Much better shavers and much less expensive than the new-fangled multiblade cartridge ripoffs.

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

I visited and clicked around just now--I've also been there before, if that makes any difference. I keep thinking about buying a print of that misty morning shot...

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
Buy it and let me know what kind of quality print you get. I don't get any thing out of it, the money just goes to Smugmug, but I get the satisfaction of knowing that you have a copy of one of my pictures framed in your home!

By the way, Google Analytics counts everytime there is a hit on any image I have linked on any website anywhere, any time some one clicks on it. So far it is showing 1,419 page views since I started this two days ago.

Eagles1181

Eagles1181

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • LocationTexas

You should be able to dial down and see how many times each image has been viewed and for how long.  I don't know how to do it, I just have seen the reports with that information included.

Eagle

Rontography

Rontography

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Country Flag

Bacon, whiskey and weapons!! I'm paying attention.

My mom and wife have ordered prints through my smugmug site and have been pleased with the results.

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag

Bacon, whiskey and weapons!! I'm paying attention.

My mom and wife have ordered prints through my smugmug site and have been pleased with the results.

Yeah I'm going to do that, just to see what kind of quality they are.

Rontography

Rontography

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Country Flag

Let us know what you think when you do.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I finally decided to order some photos to see what kind of quality people were getting.  I ordered a wide variety of shots - 4x6 through 11x14 in different finishes.  I also included some B&W images.  I was very pleased with the results.  The pix arrived fairly quickly and as ordered.  One important note - I've had a few folks who have ordered photos from my site e-mail me about "problems" with the prints they received.  In every single case, they had ordered a "cropped" print and had failed to crop it to their liking during the order process.  It isn't necessarily an obvious step if you don't know what to look for.  Typically a full frame image is the equivalent of a 4x6 or 8x12 print.  That means that a 5x7, 8x10, 11x14 and other sizes will require some cropping. 

I crop almost every one of the photos I post to at least some extent.  Over time, I've found that cropping and maintaining the original image size (4x6 / 8x12) ends up providing the best solution - at least for me.  Lots of folks seem to order 4x6 prints so that reduces the issues and I make an effort to crop so that there is sufficient room for the other popular sizes if the image needs to be cropped.  Doesn't always work, but it does help to think ahead for images you are hoping to sell - with or without profit...

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag

I finally decided to order some photos to see what kind of quality people were getting.  I ordered a wide variety of shots - 4x6 through 11x14 in different finishes.  I also included some B&W images.  I was very pleased with the results.  The pix arrived fairly quickly and as ordered.  One important note - I've had a few folks who have ordered photos from my site e-mail me about "problems" with the prints they received.  In every single case, they had ordered a "cropped" print and had failed to crop it to their liking during the order process.  It isn't necessarily an obvious step if you don't know what to look for.  Typically a full frame image is the equivalent of a 4x6 or 8x12 print.  That means that a 5x7, 8x10, 11x14 and other sizes will require some cropping. 

I crop almost every one of the photos I post to at least some extent.  Over time, I've found that cropping and maintaining the original image size (4x6 / 8x12) ends up providing the best solution - at least for me.  Lots of folks seem to order 4x6 prints so that reduces the issues and I make an effort to crop so that there is sufficient room for the other popular sizes if the image needs to be cropped.  Doesn't always work, but it does help to think ahead for images you are hoping to sell - with or without profit...

So, are you using Smugmug to do this, or another service? I only have the basic Smugmug account, so if I want to sell prints through them and get a percentage, what do I have to to?

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I have SmugMug Pro which I think costs $250 per year.  It allows some extra features over other types of accounts including unlimited storage and the ability to set pricing on each portfolio.  So, I can set the college pix to be a 0% increase over the base printing price and other portfolios to have different price markups.  You can also set what print options are offered and I think you can even specify which companies are available for printing.  I do not know if it is an option on other style accounts, but it is possible for me to have orders go into a "hold" for me to review prior to the order going to print.  I keep meaning to look into this option as it might solve any cropping problems prior to printing, but haven't had the chance as yet.

Long Exposure

Long Exposure

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Location26.82N, 80.06W

Nice Springfield 1911, BTW.

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
Thanks LE. It's my baby.

Long Exposure

Long Exposure

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Location26.82N, 80.06W

Thanks LE. It's my baby.

I can understand that.  A spectacular piece of artillery, even though the design is 100 years old.