Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D300S shutter speed can't be updated beyond 250/th second

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

malsip

malsip

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

I've run into a very distressing situation with my D300S.  I can't select a shutter speed faster than 1/250th second (the max flash sync speed).  I MUST STRESS HERE -- THE FLASH IS NOT ENABLED.  Only the range from Bulb to 1/250 is enabled.  No matter how much I spin the selector wheel, I can't go to 1/500, 1/1000, etc.

I've look closely at the camera to ensure there are no dirty contacts that might fool the camera into thinking that the on-board flash is in the "popped-up" (enabled position) which does, on the '300, limit the shutter speed, but this is not the case.

I'm in quite a quandry.  Big photo shoot upcoming in a couple of days and have never seen my beloved camera misbehave like this.  I find absolutey no help Googling this problem.

Any/all help would be appreciated.

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag

Have you tried doing a factory settings reset?  There could be some other stray setting affecting the shutter speed.

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

Maybe somehow it still thinks the flash is attached and on or similar. Obviously that top speed is related to the flash sync.

Try putting the flash on, turning camera and flash on, then turning the flash off so the camera sees it being turned off, Or set your camera's flash speed to 1/250 FP (is that the right term?) so it will go faster than 1/250, or jjust mucking around with the flash and camera settings together. Also check the built-in flash settings.

This is if Adam's idea doesn't work.