Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Small, strong tripod needed to support D4s

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

cowleystjames

cowleystjames

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOxford, UK
I need a small, low tripod to support a D4s and 14-24 f2.8 or 16mm Nikkor fisheye, and I'm struggling to find one to take that sort of weight.
I'm wondering if anyone has fried the Gorilla Pod Focus? This seems to be the type of thing I need, but haven't been able to find a stockist within a reasonable distance of me to try one.
Could do with other recommendations if you have any.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The Fotopro M-5 handles the 3 kg load of my D700 with a 200 MicroNikkor and focusing rail without problems, even though the ballhead they supply isn't the best. I personally don't like Gorillapods.

cowleystjames

cowleystjames

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOxford, UK
That's a nice find Merco, Magnesium Alloy too. But can't see any stock this side of the pond!

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Swedish retailer kaffebrus have them in stock.

URL: http://www.kaffebrus...o-m-5-1658.html mostly in Swedish unfortunately, but Google translate gives an idea.

phone: +46(0)8 518 169 00. I think they speak english.

MJL

MJL

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationThe Canadian wet coast

Site Supporter

I use an older version of this Berlebach wooden mini tripod for my heavy film camera gears.

http://www.berlebach...sprache=english

Attached Files

• Attached File  Mini.jpg   146.63KB   12 downloads

cowleystjames

cowleystjames

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOxford, UK
Those are a work of art, truly beautiful. Thanks MJL.

cowleystjames

cowleystjames

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOxford, UK
I'm looking to put a D4s and 16mm fisheye or possibly 14-24 at the base of a jump on a racehorse gallop to capture that particular type of image.
So it needs to be a small tripod, but sturdy. Tried fixing a ball head to a Manfrotto centre column, then fixing a spike at the base, but couldn't get the sturdiness necessary to get good images. Just seemed to be too much flexing.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

How about making an extremely low quadripod yourself from 60x20 mm red beech or ash? Make a cross epoxied together with a slow epoxy. Drill a 3/8" or 10 mm hole in the middle of the intersection. Countersink on one side to fit a 3/8-16 UNC machine screw. Make feet from scrap wood and drill 4 mm holes in each foot and make anchor pins from 5/32" music wire or stainless. Fit a ballhead after varnishing with polyurethane.

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

I may need to pick up one of those FotoPro's. I have used my wife's GorillaPod a few times, and I don't really care for it.