Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Fine Art Photography Gear

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Cindy Clicks

Cindy Clicks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Country Flag

I am a fine art photographer.  Let me tell you how I define that:  I take a wide variety of subject matter.  I use the camera as an artist would use a paintbrush, as opposed to how a technician would use a wrench.  I want the camera to do what I want it to do, and not the other way around. Therefore, it is difficult for me to find one camera that will work for every situation.  I am trying to narrow it down to two bodies, one for wide angle to mid range, and one for midrange to a longer telephoto.  I have a unique style and love to break the rules.  I have been told that not very many people shoot like this.  I am hoping to find another fine art photographer out there who can tell me what kind of equipment works best for a variety of situations.  Up until now I have used a Canon T3i with a Tamron 28-300 and a Tokina 11-16.  But I am needing some new equipment due to the sheer volume of photos I take, and because of my recent gallery and competition successes, I would like to upgrade to some better, more advanced equipment.  Any suggestions?  

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts
  • Country Flag
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Show us some of your recent shots and that will help to better understand the Fine Art that you are doing.

Lots of helpfull people here to give good advices.

Cindy Clicks

Cindy Clicks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Country Flag

Ok, here is a link.    https://www.facebook...90442579&type=3

Also, I find tripods to be very cumbersome.  I have been known to take beautifully clear shots at 1/13sec, 300mm, hand-held.  I need a camera that will be able to handle that.  

Eagles1181

Eagles1181

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • LocationTexas

Those photos are AWESOME!!!  

Eagle

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,528 posts
  • Country Flag
Excellent shots and some good processing!

Daniel

Daniel

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Cindy Clicks do you have a web page where we could see some of your photographic work.

Cindy Clicks

Cindy Clicks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Country Flag

Sure, but I have not updated in a while.  I get so busy entering competitions and gallery shows that I find I don't have enough time to keep on top of everything.   I am always experimenting with new things and I am have discovered that the old joke about a photographers best picture is always the next one, is definitely true for me.  I have only been shooting full time for 19 months.  My flickr name is also Cindy Clicks.

cindyvondranphotography.com

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway
Very nice and very artistic images. I like this type of photography very much.

If Dali and Magritte were alive today they might be doing this kind of stuff.

Cindy Clicks

Cindy Clicks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Country Flag

Well that is a nice compliment.  Yes photography has come a long way since those days.  But traditional painting is still very much alive.  I was also an art history major.  In the future I plan to incorporate my photos into some other art mediums.  

Daniel

Daniel

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

My favorite type of photography is landscape and wildlife, and really liked your work, also like to travel so I want to check out some of those places in the future.

Cindy Clicks

Cindy Clicks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Country Flag

Ya, I'd like to get up to Canada and check out the Rockies too.  The pictures I have seen are so gorgeous.  I love the mountains.  But I am thinking about going to Nova Scotia this year.  

Daniel

Daniel

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Nova Scotia is awesome Especially Cape Breton Island. I lived in Nova Scotia for two years but western Canada is mind blowing.

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway

I am a fine art photographer.  Let me tell you how I define that:  I take a wide variety of subject matter.  I use the camera as an artist would use a paintbrush, as opposed to how a technician would use a wrench.  I want the camera to do what I want it to do, and not the other way around. Therefore, it is difficult for me to find one camera that will work for every situation.  I am trying to narrow it down to two bodies, one for wide angle to mid range, and one for midrange to a longer telephoto.  I have a unique style and love to break the rules.  I have been told that not very many people shoot like this.  I am hoping to find another fine art photographer out there who can tell me what kind of equipment works best for a variety of situations.  Up until now I have used a Canon T3i with a Tamron 28-300 and a Tokina 11-16.  But I am needing some new equipment due to the sheer volume of photos I take, and because of my recent gallery and competition successes, I would like to upgrade to some better, more advanced equipment.  Any suggestions?

To answer your question, I have one DX Nikon and one FX Nikon. I use the DX almost always for mid-range and telephoto shots, and the FX for wide angle, mid-range and portraits. Of course sometimes I use them interchangeably, but that is generally how I do it.

Cindy Clicks

Cindy Clicks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Country Flag

Ya, I was thinking one crop sensor and one full frame.  I love macro too, so which would be better for that?  I hope the new Tamron 16-300 is a decent lens because I had great luck with my 28-300 Tamron.  I would love that kind of range, and it has a closer focus for macro.  But my dream camera would be the Pentax 645Z with 51 pixels.  Wow, that would be awesome.  But those medium formats come with a steep price. 

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The D7100/D610 pair seems ideal for you, since they are very similar in how they handle. For macro use the FX bodies are easier to focus manually with their better finders. You will find the prosumer bodies from either Canon or Nikon much easier to use with any exposure mode other than program than your Rebel, simply because of the two control wheels.

For what you do, I would put a superzoom of some kind on a D7100 and use a 14-24, some fast primes and a 105 MicroNikkor on a D610.

Both of these bodies work with any Nikonmount good glass made after 1977, and most lenses from 1959 to 1976 can be converted. The old manual focus lenses often draw differently than their modern counterparts.

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

D800 for large prints would be my first inclination.

Long Exposure

Long Exposure

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Location26.82N, 80.06W

First, before we get too carried away making suggestions, what does your Canon equipment not do that you wish to do?  To ask the same question another way, how is your current equipment holding you back?

Having a handle on the answers will beging to clarify for you your needs/desires and help up make responsible, cogent suggestions.

Also as a 35+ year Nikon shooter, I feel compelled to ask, as a Canon shooter, why are you asking for equipment suggestions on a Nikon forum site?  You will undoubtedly get Nikon suggestions that may or may not be directly applicable to the Canon line-up.  Are you planning on becomeing a Nikon shooter?  That is very rare - switching.  As I am sure you understand abandoning one line for the other is costly.  Typically, one committed to one or the other there needs to be a burning desire to switch.  I am curious.

Please address these questions then I and others will be in a better position to help you.

Cindy Clicks

Cindy Clicks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Country Flag

Well after giving the Pentax K-3 a go, I was not happy with it and I traded it for a Canon 6D.  However, I am still looking to upgrade my crop sensor camera and I am looking to buy a Nikon D5300 within the next couple of weeks.  I have a 100mm macro lens and a Tamron 28-300 that will work with the 6D.  I am looking to buy a Tamron 16-300 for the Nikon because I like the range it has.  At some point I would like to teach, and I think it would benefit me to get to know both brands so that I will be unbiased when helping students who have Nikons, as well as Canon.  I won't know how I feel about Nikon unless I have actually used one.  The reason why I like the D5300, as opposed to the D7100, is because I want a flip out screen that I can use for street photography.

Kenafein

Kenafein

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Country Flag

You're not all talk.  Those are some fine photos.  Welcome to the forums.  Do you really want to buy two sets of lenses though?  Wouldn't it be nice to stick with Canon and be able to share lenses across the bodies?  Perhaps you can get a Sony A7R for the 36MP and no AA filter and use the EOS to E-Adapter(with AF).  36MP would be wonderful for your gallery prints, but you would also want to buy excellent lenses to take advantage of that resolution.  The E-Mount cameras are nice and light and they open you up to the world of legacy glass from all makes.  I think some of the old film lenses would be wonderful for your line of work.  Take the Helios 44 lenses, a russian lens, they aren't perfect but they have a lovely rendering; and they are dirt cheap.  .  

Cindy Clicks

Cindy Clicks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Country Flag

Well actually I am planning to really step it up and do some more intense marketing.  I am really hoping to buy the Pentax medium format with 51 pixels next year.  That camera puts the 36 pixel to shame.  That camera would be my dream.  But it is also some serious money, but nothing like the Hasselblad.  Just wait a couple of weeks and check out my site again.  I have been taking some pretty awesome shots lately, especially with the new macro lens with the "L" glass. Amazing clarity, worth every penny.   :)