Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Where are all the old film cameras and lenses?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

Brian

Brian

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Country Flag

I've given a lot of film cameras away, fixed-lens RF's and SLR's. Put together some better kits with several lenses and sold cheap on camera forums. BUT- most people on camera forums are Digital these days, and a lot of students on some of the "more popular, but not as nice as this one" forums get turned off by the attitudes of some members.

Maybe we should have a "for free for Students" section that would pick up a google search. i have a Kodak Retina IIa that was picked up as payment for repair work, I fixed it up- "Good User", would give it away.

Ajac

Ajac

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag

Last weekend I crawled in the loft and found the old stuff. A Fujica STX1n and AX5 plus a selection of old Sigma lenses. A quick search on ebay saw the STX1n at £5!!!!!.

I visited a small 'vintage' equipment seller in Camden Market London a couple of weeks ago and the same camera was £85!!! bit of a difference there. I know the STX1n was only a cheapy when new but the AX5 was quite a lot of money in the mid 80's if I recall.

Does anyone really buy this stuff anymore.

The stuff seems to have such little value its simply not worth selling.

cooltouch

cooltouch

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHouston, Texas

I still shoot quite a bit with film gear and I've actually accumulated a fairly large collection of film cameras and manual focus lenses in recent years. Most of what drives me is the prices that I can pick this stuff up for. It's just really hard to resist. I try to be fair with my fim cameras and rotate through them, but still I think I need to take a breather. I've got about seven cameras currently loaded with film in various degrees of completion and I'm getting a little bogged down. :blink:

These days, I buy most of my used gear from eBay. KEH has been a good source, as has Robert's Camera, of Indianapolis. Another good source, if you're willing to take the chance with as-is stuff, is Goodwill's auction site. I've picked up quite a few pieces there.  Locally, this overgrwon cowtown I live in was down to two real camera shops left until several months ago, when one of them closed.  I miss that place. I found some good used deals at that place. The last survivng camera store in Houston carries some used gear, but they've priced it at book value, so I don't really have much interest in it. I've run across some good deals at that place in the past, but not so much anymore. Just as well, I suppose.

Bruce65

Bruce65

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

In the Vancouver, BC area there is Beau Photo who carry a lot of used film cameras with decent prices. There is also Kerrisdale cameras who put all their used gear on their website.

nikdood17

nikdood17

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Country Flag

ShoopgoodwillDOTcom sells by auction on the Internet cameras from Goodwill thrift shops all over the country. You might see a rare vintage Rollieflex in great condition, or a Leica M3 and lots of M lenses. There are hundreds of ordinary cameras, lenses and so on available also. I bought a Nikon N70 body (from the 1990s) plus a 1960s Nikkor 50mm f1.4 for $20 plus shipping. I also got a Bilora Bella 66, a jumped up box camera that uses 120 film, for chump change. It looks brand new. When people find out I like old film cameras they give me stuff. I am not a collector, I rescue old cameras.

Dogbytes

Dogbytes

Forum Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCornwall

My F4 and F5 are on a shelf, just looking decorative. I sometimes pick the F5 up when I want to remind myself what a camera should feel like, it is a tank! Maybe I'll need it again when we all go analogue - after the zombie apocalypse or whatever...

I sold a Mamiya TLR last year on eBay - to a student who buys non-functioning cameras and sells them to help fund his education.

nikdood17

nikdood17

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Country Flag

I would like to second what Brian said earlier. I have a lot of cameras, lenses, etc. that are in great condition but which I will probably never make use of. I would love to donate some of these analog items to students or schools teaching analog photography. Frankly, I have more cameras than I can ever get around to shooting with. I like to think I rescue film cameras, I do not collect them. I can do without some, if they were put in the right hands. My favorite cameras are those with no batteries.

Marcus Rowland

Marcus Rowland

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLondon

I tend to see a lot of old bodies (though very few Nikon) since I'm after good lenses and make my profits there. What I usually do is offer the bodies on eBay with a low starting price - I sell a lot around £2.99 plus postage, which is crazy for something like an autofocus Minolta Dynax, but it hopefully gets them into the hands of someone who will use them. If they don't sell after two tries I give them to charity shops or offer them on Freecycle. Same with lenses, but that's pretty rare and usually means I made a bad mistake and have something horrible on my hands.

If you're in the UK it's worth checking charity outlets such as Oxfam's online shop, that's where a lot of this stuff ends up.

nikdood17

nikdood17

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Country Flag

I went by a high end thrift shop today and found a bargain, an Olympus Camedia point-and-shoot for $10. A roaring 4 megapixels, 3x zoom and a f2.8 lens. I's small enough to throw over my shoulder and hardly know it is there. And the optics are truly excellent. This copy looks almost new for the price of a couple of hambugers.

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,517 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBeaverton, Oregon

Site Supporter

I was just surfing through Amazon.com and they have boatloads of very nice looking 35mm Film SLRs for terrific prices.  You may wish to give them a try.

Tony

kameratiks

kameratiks

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

Nikon and NIkkors on ebay tend to be priced higher than any other system. 

Locally here in the Philippines, they fetch a high price. Rarely do you see it selling under $100. 

Astro Baby

Astro Baby

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLondon

I see plenty on eBay - people ask a bit high but with patience you can bag stuff off.  I have a beautiful Canon FTb thats mint with an FL lens I picked up for a mere £45.

I tend to go for mechanical only cameras and old school lenses that I stand a chance of fixing.  Charity shops are a good bet as well. I bagged off a minty Pentax KX for £25 complete with its f1.7 lens and its a gem.

Tokyo is full of backstreet shops selling classic film cameras but they want some cash for in many cases very shabby examples.

krag96

krag96

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,319 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

At one time we had five or more 35mm SLR's here in the house.  We gave away some of the less expensive cameras to younger generation folks who expressed an interest, I sold two of the more expensive models when the market was still solidly film, and kept a worn, but fully functional pro body and lenses along with a "basic" back-up body worth little other than it worked fine for myself. 

I see used film cameras for sale from various better stocked camera shops along with film, on e-bay, and flea markets.  Few at yard sales anymore, but when there are, they're usually just a few dollars, but need checked over for functionality.  I see only premium body's and lenses retain much value these days in 35mm format.  I have seen medium format gear still retain a somewhat fair value, though not what it would have brought twenty years ago.   

daveFM2

daveFM2

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Country Flag
I have Canon, Leica, Nikon, Rolleiflex, Pentax, Hasselblad, all film of course. I keep my equipment purchases next to zero over the years, as I have sufficient equipment to shoot film until?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

BobO

BobO

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

I have some film cameras. Some are available if anyone is interested.

These include:

F

EM

N2000

F3 HP

Nikkor Lenses include:

16mm fisheye 

28-85mm

55mm Micro

105mm Micro

180mm ED IF

75 - 150 mm

200mm

300mm

In addition to the above I also have many accessories which I forgot about until today. I was looking at ways to 'copy' my slides, thousands of slides :)

I had been looking online for ways to do this and discovered the ES-1. I was considering buying one until I looked at my 'bag'. I found two ES-1 adapters. I also found a PB-4 bellows and the mating PS-4 slide adapter.

More about this in another post as I don't want to get this one too far off topic. :)

daveFM2

daveFM2

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Country Flag
Check out eBay. Plethora of 35 mm film cameras. All makes an models. As for me I have Leica, Canon, Nikon and I use them to make money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

KaiGardner

KaiGardner

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

I'm on a hunt for some vintage cameras. But if not on ebay, where can I find some?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,632 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I'm on a hunt for some vintage cameras. But if not on ebay, where can I find some?

keh.com, craigslist, amazon.com.

If you are looking for collectibles, pawnshops might be worth checking out.

Why not put a want ad in your local paper's classifieds? Old school, but can work.

Brian

Brian

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Country Flag

You might also check out various camera forums, and place "Want to Buy" ads on them.

KaiGardner

KaiGardner

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

I have read a little on Front Page - Know How Community there are some reviews on goog resources.