Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New lens!

lens nikon 3200 bokeh 50mm 1.8

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Mr_Leeman

Mr_Leeman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Country Flag

Just aquired the 50mm 1.8 lens.

Can't make to play with it, but wondered if anyone had any thoughts. My Son will be my main subject and I think we're going to get some bathtime shots with lots of bubbles.

What does everyone else use this lens for?

Nikonite

Nikonite

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOrlando, Fl

I hope you have a big bathroom. I have the 35mm and have to frequently swap it out for my 18-200mm in order to capture as much of a small area as possible.

Mr_Leeman

Mr_Leeman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Country Flag

I have the 18-200mm currently on the camera which has never been off since i got it, so it will be weird. I only want close up portraits of my Son, so it should be fine.

Nikonite

Nikonite

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOrlando, Fl

Oh sure, but I think you'll be surprised how much further you'll have to be away from your son with the 50mm vs the 18mm.

Mr_Leeman

Mr_Leeman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Country Flag

I wouldn't want to shoot him at 18mm, he' dget all distorted.lol

CLose up is what I want.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

The 50 should work well for those portraits...

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

I use my 50mm as an all-purpose, everyday lens. It's often the lens I leave on my camera. I use it for some portraits (though mostly use the 85mm for individuals), especially if I want an environmental portrait or if I have more than one person in the photo. For about the last year, it's been the widest angle lens I have! (Finally got the 24-70 f.2.8 though….)

I have lots of bath time portraits of my little one taken with my 50mm (and we do NOT have a big bathroom, ha ha!).

Since you've been used to having a zoom, it may take you some time to get used to having to zoom with your feet. You may even feel limited for awhile, but don't get discouraged because you can do great things with this lens--I'm guessing it's faster than the 18-200 you've been using. You will love the shallow depth of field that you probably couldn't get with your other lens, and the low light capabilities are fantastic. (Low light shooting was probably why I initially bought a 50mm.)

Have fun!!!!

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway
On your D3200 that 50 will be more like a 75, so it will get you really close.

I assume your bathroom is fairly large?

If not, expect his face to fill the entire frame.

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

All everyday family life and photos can be captured with this lens. A great purchase. You'll be able to use a faster shutter speed indoors, and be able to freeze those bath bubbles!

Mr_Leeman

Mr_Leeman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Country Flag

Well I got some shots, nice and close with lots of bubbles - will share once they're off the camera. Bathroom is small, but managed some nice ones. Main thing I can't get used to is how light it feels and the fact I don't have zoom, I keep trying though.lol

Biggest issue is we have no natural light in that part of our building, just the standard light bulb... flash gun next I think!

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Well I got some shots, nice and close with lots of bubbles - will share once they're off the camera. Bathroom is small, but managed some nice ones. Main thing I can't get used to is how light it feels and the fact I don't have zoom, I keep trying though.lol

Biggest issue is we have no natural light in that part of our building, just the standard light bulb... flash gun next I think!

If you have an off camera flash and your bathroom walls and ceiling are white I would use bounce flash to soften the light a bit and make it seem more natural. 

--Ron

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lens, nikon, 3200, bokeh, 50mm, 1.8