Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Basic question on tripods.

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,633 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Eagle, it is more a matter of lowering the resonance frequency of the system. Even a nice and heavy tripod can benefit from a hook to hang the camera bag from at some shutterspeeds, different from tripod to tripod.

Rob, the 055 series is a good choice if you like the snap locks on the legs. See if you can try before you buy. I personally don't get 3-way heads but that is a matter of preference.

• Ron likes this

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I am assuming that was to increase stability?

Eagle

Yep. Tripods weren't nearly as rigid as they are now and could be very wobbly. Adding weight to the bottom of the center column helped a lot.There used to be a little 1/4 20 screw there... or we would drill the bottom column plate out and add a screw. You could then add a hook to hang bags of bb's or other weights. I used a 'Banker's Bag' filled with BB's which also served as a beanbag support for long lenses. Opening up the center column and adding lead or other weight directly was another option. There were some camera repair places that actually specialized in this. 

--Ron

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

My "old" tripod (as in, the one that I was using prior to getting my current one) has a hook on the center column to hang a weighted object on.  The new one has a hook also (for the same purpose), only the hook is on the base. 

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLivingston, Scotland

Site Supporter

I tried the 055 today, its extremely sturdy and well made, a little longer and heavier than the carbon fibre model but I like the thickness of the legs and I think this would be ideal for me. I haven't totally made my mind up with the head yet, I need something that I can use both for landscape and would also be good for portrait too.

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

I tried the 055 today, its extremely sturdy and well made, a little longer and heavier than the carbon fibre model but I like the thickness of the legs and I think this would be ideal for me. I haven't totally made my mind up with the head yet, I need something that I can use both for landscape and would also be good for portrait too.

Did you look at the 4-section or the 3-section model?

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

it was the 3 section model.

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

I got the 4-section, and it is actually a bit taller than I will probably ever use.  In fact, if I have the legs fully deployed, I can barely even reach my camera (as far as getting my face to the viewfinder), and that is with the center column all the way down.   :D

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Depending on the type of QR system you use, you may be able to get an 'L' Bracket for your D7100 that's a better option for shooting verticals than tipping the camera over either with a tilt/pan head or a ball head. Both Kirk and Really Right Stuff make these brackets but, I believe, only for Arca style QR systems. The image below is a Kirk L bracket and is from B&H. 

--Ron

996884.jpg

yauman

yauman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMartinez, CA

I am assuming that was to increase stability?

Eagle

Many of the better tripods for traveling are made light to carry around but they provide a hook at the bottom of the center column to let you hang your backpack or camera bag to up the weight, lower the center of gravity and thus increase the stability of the setup.

If you are using a tripod just for selfies and groupies to include yourself in the picture, any $50 tripod will do. But if you are using the tripod to take a night scene of the Eiffel Tower with a 6 min exposure or want to take 5 identical frames for HDR or multiple images for a good panorama, you'll want a high quality, very sturdy one - ie stable with minimal vibration and one with very accurate panning.  

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Well I did a spot of shopping during my lunch hour and came back the proud owner of a Manfrotto 055 XPro3 Aluminium Tripod and the XPro 3 way head...got the head half price when purchased with any Manfrotto Tripod so saved myself £49.50.

I'm now off to pack for my 2 week holiday in the Norfolk Broads. :D

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

Nice!!!   I think that you will like that 055.  I love mine.   And while the 3-way heads are not what everyone likes, I do like the XPro 3-way head.   Very smooth, locks in very well, and it is solid right where you put it.

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I may in time go for a different head but I like the feel of this one. Cant wait to try it out, the legs are solid.

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Just got back from 2 weeks holiday in the south east of England, Norfolk Broads, took the tripod along for the trip, also took my filter system with me to test it out. This picture was taken by my brother...so cant take credit for the poor shot. :)

here is one of the shots I was taking at the time of the above photo

Attached Files

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I was revisiting this topic as I am going to need to get a new, more capable tripod at some point.  The one I referenced earlier definitely couldn't handle the 200-400 to my liking.  It always amazes me how expensive tripods are but I know I'm going to need to spend the money.  So, I will be joining in with the others on a tripod search.  Figured I'd bump this in the event it would help others...

Are you guys still happy with the setup?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,633 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

A relatively cheap set of legs, suitable for up to at least 500 mm is the Benro C4xxxTN series. they are about equal to Gitzo 3-series Systematics for 3/5 the money. Not as nicely finished and they don't give the bragging rights, but they seem well worth the money if a Gitzo or Sachtler are outside the budget... I don't think they are as long-lived as a Gitzo but probably at least 3/5 the lifespan.

OTRTexan

OTRTexan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAll over the USA
Seems like the tripod hunt is on for several of us.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Add me to the list too. Unfortunately, I can't afford a Gitzo (or anything in it's price range) so I'm looking at mid-range stuff. So far it's been a daunting task. LOL

--Ron

OTRTexan

OTRTexan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAll over the USA
If I was going to spend over 1k on a tripod, it would most likely be a Really Right Stuff one. I like the design on their ball head. Plus I like the fact that it's an American made product.

I may compromise and go with the RRS head and Vanguard or Benro legs.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,633 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

As I have written before, I use RRS BH-55 heads on both my Gitzo and Sachtler legs and find them better than the Novoflex and Arca-Swiss heads I had before them. The RRS tripod seems well-made, but with import tariffs to the EU what they are it is simply not competitive here.

We pay the same high tax on Benro, Induro and Feisol tripods from the Pacific rim, but the lower price means a lower tax too, as it is a percentage.

I will probably need to replace my old Reporter this year as it is wearing out. The problem is what to get as a replacement. The parts that have worn out are a radically better design now than 20 years ago, so I lean towards getting a large 4-section Systematic, either Series3 or Series4 but the lower price of a Benro is tempting...

Patrick9

Patrick9

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMurfreesboro Tennessee

Site Supporter

You can add me to the list as well. Time to get a  sturdier set of legs as well as a better head