Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New Tamron 16-300mm for Nikon

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag
Just a day after Nikon's announcement of a new compact Nikkor 18-300mm all-in-one lens for DX cameras, Tamron (a well-respected third-party lens manufacturer) is stepping in with its very own offering: the all-new Tamron 16-300mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD Macro.

Tamron's version of this handy superzoom seems very similar optically, with a construction of 16 elements in 12 groups and with 7 rounded aperture blades. Like the Nikkor, the Tamron is stabilized and features silent autofocus, and it is designed with compactness in mind. Tamron has equipped the 16-300mm with a "moisture resistant" weather-sealed design, making it very versatile for single-lens shooters. The Nikkor lens does appear to have a rubber gasket around the lens mount, though the press release did not comment on its weather sealing.

There are a few differences between the two lenses, most of which seem to give the Tamron lens an advantage. First of all, it's considerably cheaper, launching at just $629 compared to the Nikkor's $899 price tag. The Tamron also has a distance scale window, which is unusual in a superzoom. Finally, and arguably most importantly, the 16mm focal length offers a field of view that's wider by 6 degrees.

But which lens is better as far as image quality goes? Well, we're going to have to wait until these lenses are out to make hands-on verdict. The 16-300mm is expected to start shipping in the US in mid-May.

View the full specifications in our lens database, or pre-order the lens at B&H Photo. The lens is also available for Canon and Sony mounts.

Click here to view the news

Afterimage

Afterimage

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPennsylvania

The reviews of the Nikkor 18-300 have been luke-warm as far as image quality ... no surprises there... so I'd put my money on the Tammy being very similar. A solid "ok" but nothing to write home about. The 16mm's and the cost savings over the Nikon will be attractive for those seeking a nice "travel" snapshot lens.

I'd suggest looking at the Sigma 18-250 before pulling the trigger on either of those new lenses however. It's a decent enough lens and only around $350. All-in-one lenses are purpose built for portability, and in-so you are trading convenience for IQ. I found the Sigma to be a bargain in that regard; decent IQ, excellent macro (for an all-in-one) and good handling (AF speed and OS). I'd find it hard to justify spending an additional $300, let alone an extra $600, for a snapshot lens... even if you got an extra 2mm on the wide end...

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

The Tamron 70-300 usually gets better reviews than the Nikon version, so it would not surprise me if the IQ equals or surpasses the Nikon 18-300.

Afterimage

Afterimage

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPennsylvania

True, I have the Tammy 70-300 and it is a stellar piece of glass.