Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What is the best mode to shoot on

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

Warrick

Warrick

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

I have been taking photos for years now but just useing point and shoot cameras and staying on auto .My goal is to get off auto  and learn all the funtions on my new D7100..Where I live there is no camera courses to take so any info would be helpful like what kind of lens should I be using ?

Nothing wrong with Auto mode! if your worried about missing a photo that you want stay on it for now.

If you have time to get out for some photos switch to manual mode and try the following...

set shutter speed to the focal length of your lens (this will help with blur in most situations) Eg 50mm lens set to 50

usually on a sunny day set a higher f number say F16

this also gives you a greater depth of field for your lens.

play around with shutter and apertures and leave the ISO on auto for now this will allow the camera to set your "Film" type based on your shutter aperture and light coming into the camera :)

Give it a go there is no harm in trying it out and it will help ya learn a bit more of the manual mode.

scoobymax

scoobymax

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationDunstable, UK

Site Supporter

As my current camera is my first DSLR, up until about about 6 months ago I only used auto, apart from the odd occasion I would venture into manual! Nowadays and with a bit more understanding and a few hours of YouTube as mentioned about I am mainly shooting in manual mode only. It's amazing how much more control you can have over your photos once you get to grips with it! I suppose it's mainly ( not only ) of practice, practice and more practice.!

scoobymax

scoobymax

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationDunstable, UK

Site Supporter

I would say that it would depend on what your shooting, I shoot in manual at all times so I can adjust the settings appropriately, for example shooting action and sports will require faster shutter speeds than shooting still life, shooting nighttime or low light situations would require a higher ISO etc etc. as others have also said check out you tube for plenty of tuts and videos , and most of all it's trial and error and practice, practice!

Adamwesleyo

Adamwesleyo

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I have mine on manual 99% of the time but I need to start using A.

maryhelmer

maryhelmer

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks so much everyone for the excellent advice!!!  I would like to take moon photos sometime in the future. What would be the best lens for that? and does it have to be a Nikon Lens?

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

Manual mode is great BUT I find that it is cumbersome to have to quickly change two settings rather than one. This is why Aperture Priority is what I use most on my cameras. I don't worry about shutter speed too much, unless the situation warrants it (low light, panning, or freezing action). To me, the aperture setting is the most important aspect of the shot.

Stas

Stas

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Country Flag

I think there is no best mode. All depends on your aims. Usually I use manual mode because I like full control on photo, but sometimes there is situations when manual is to slow, than I use P, A or S mode. If you want to understand all modes first of all learn manual mode. It is the more difficult mode, but when you undestand this mode you will not have any problems with all other modes.

lindax

lindax

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Country Flag

It really depends on what you are shooting, different modes are good for different shooting situations. SO there isn't really the 'best' mode....

BobW

BobW

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTN

I use auto a lot on my D5100, but when I shoot waterfalls I have to go manual. I feel it's the only way to get that special shot.

morticiaskeeper

morticiaskeeper

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTewkesbury, Glos
I spent four years just using A, only changing to manual when the results were not to my liking. Most of the shots were ok, but I was never happy with the flash shots.

I now keep my bodies set to P. That's just like A, but with no flash. Anyone in the family can pick up a camera and take a reasonably exposed daylight shot. If i can't be bothered to carry a lightmeter, I take a shot in P, then decide what needs changing, using the EXIF data to guide me. I then take the shot in M.

If it is obvious that I need a certain shutter speed or aperture, I use S or A. I consider these to be a sort of "linked manual" setting. You set the critical variable, whether it be Shutter or Aperture, the camera sets the other. If a thumb wheel is used to change the critical. The camera will take care of the rest.

If you will not be changing much, I would suggest you use Auto ISO. BUT be aware that it works in M mode as well.

bredies

bredies

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationRaglan, New Zealand

Aperture

jason

jason

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Country Flag

what mode? all of them . :)

Contrary to what  a lot of people say i love the auto  modes. they are easy to use  in situations where you dont have much set up time.

so my advice is use whatever the situation calls for.  i would rather have a phot taken on an auto mode than to miss the shot entirely .

rockjedi

rockjedi

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Country Flag
I mostly shoot aperture. But when that starts to struggle for what I need to do I switch to manual. But best way to learn is to shoot and play. Find pictures you like and try to recreate them.
Play and enjoy is the best way.