Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Cannot Display This File

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

AnObeseGirraffe

AnObeseGirraffe

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Hello 

I just received my Nikon D3100 and have taken some photos now when I went into NX 2 and messed around with contrast etc I clicked "save" and when I went back onto my camera it would not display it now I have tried to re format the card and checked to see if the file was on real only but nothing has worked PLEASE HELP

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag

Is the file on your computer?  If you've formatted the card, then you won't be able to see the photo there any more.

yauman

yauman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMartinez, CA

You camera (all digital cameras, not just Nikon) can only read files that it writes to the card. In addition, should always format the card in the camera you are going to use it in.  Now, back to your problem.

It sound like you just stuck your card into your computer and edited the images in the card and after editing, saved the file in the card. That's a NO NO because your computer is writing the files into the card. Your computer can read them but your camera cannot - when you hit "save", you over-wrote the original files and because it's a file written by the computer, your camera cannot read it.  Then you formatted your SD card, you have basically wiped out ALL your images in the SD card - it's now a blank card like new.  Sorry to say that but if you formatted your card, you have executed an "Erase ALL." (Now if those images are from a once in a life-time vacation trip, there are data recovery places that can help retrieve them for you but that will cost you an arm and a leg (people who use those services are law enforcement, courts forensics and insurance people who can afford to pay!)

So, keep in mind this simple rule - your computer (any computer) can read files written on SD cards by any camera - but not the other way around. Your camera (no cameras) can read files written on SD card by any computer! 

With that clear in mind, this is what you should do after you have taken pictures.  Insert your SD card in your computer and DOWLOAD the images into a folder in your computer. This process just make copies of all the images files from the SD card to your computer (how you organize it is up to you.)  They are copies and you can edit them to your hearts content and save them etc.  The images in the SD cards will remain intact and unmolested unless and until you delete them or reformat the card.

If you are not infinitely rich and can afford to keep buying SD cards and never reformat them for reuse, here is the normal workflow:

1. Make a folder in your computer for your pictures (Name it "My Photos?")  Inside that folder you can have sub folders to organize your picture - by events ("Baby's Birthday 2014", "Trip to Italy 2013" etc)

2. When you are done with your photographing and is ready to do some editing (aka "Post-Processing") insert the SD card into the computer and download all the photos to the appropriate folder.  Then download another copy into your backup drive or "Time Machine" so you have two copies. Verify that  you have all the images in your computer in two places.

3 Insert your SD card in your camera and format it - now you are ready for you next photo event/expedition.

Hope this helps.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Excellent advise from yauman! 

A couple of notes:

First, the copy to the backup drive or Time Machine is an excellent suggestion but if you do not have one, it is not required.  If you do not have one, you SHOULD get a backup drive and have a second copy of all your important files - not just photos - in case your hard drive goes bad.

Second, I know Lexar used to offer a program for a relatively low price that would do basic recovery of files from SD or CF cards.  The cards did not have to be made by Lexar, but I do believe they even gave the software away with some cards via a free download code.

The reason I bring these two very important points up is because this has happened to me.  As I had done many times prior, I downloaded my important photos and began going through them with plans to finish up later that week after taking some other (non-critical) photos.  Formatted my card, shot some additional photos for fun and found my hard drive had died - taking away photos of a friend's wedding.  I was defnitely NOT a happy camper because I knew better!  The Lexar software saved my butt!  Recovered all the pix from the wedding, didn't loose the non-critical photos.  Moral - make sure you have a backup and make sure you have the backup before you reformat your card if at all possible!

Afterimage

Afterimage

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPennsylvania

SanDisk (and several others) has a program called Rescue Pro which has the ability to recover deleted files. You may want to give that a try, it's worked for me in the past!

AJSimpson

AJSimpson

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Country Flag

Just a quick point if you are downloading your files from your Camera to NX2,I take it  you will be downloading via Nikon Transfer 2, next time you download go into Nikon Transfer 2 window select preferences and check the delete files after transfer tick box is not selected, 

If it is as soon as a transfer is complete, the program will automatically delete the files on your memory card

Ellinor William

Ellinor William

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Country Flag

Most importantly, the copy to the backup drive or Time Machine is an excellent step but if you do not have one, it is not required. The photos would be still there in the SD card. All you need is to recover them with the help of a photo recovery tool Try stellar or recoverit software to scan your card and recover those photos back. These software can recover the media files from any formatted cards and storage devices.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

This thread is 7 years old.

--Ron