Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Shopping in the USA, and bringing the Lens back home to the UK.

105mm micro lens

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

cabcaster

cabcaster

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

I am about to go to the USA for a few weeks, and I have discovered that the price is about £150.00 cheaper to buy it. My question is, will I be able to register it here for Guarantee purposses? anyone out there with an answer for me please

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag

The answer is no, you won't get warranty outside of the US (and vice-versa).  US lenses have a different serial number.

But this means that you can opt for the "grey market" version of the lens and save even more up-front.  I.e.: http://www.bhphotovi...ED_IF_AF_S.html

greenwing

greenwing

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Yorkshire, UK

Yes, you will be able to register the lens in the UK, as lenses are covered by an international warranty. See Nikon's website. You're probably better to avoid grey market items, as you'd need to return them to the shop for warranty work.

You may get stung for import duty & VAT when you bring the lens into the UK.

Chris

Do advertised prices in the US include sales tax? Would you have to pay sales tax if buying in a store?

Chris

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Typically advertised prices do not include sales tax.  We currently don't have a National Sales Tax, so tax percentages can vary by location.  Generally you will have to pay sales tax if purchasing at a store in an area (state, county, city) that requires a sales tax.  As a quick example, I can purchase a meal from a fast food chain near my home for a different price than I can purchase it at the same chain near an office I visit a couple of times a month because that particular area has a local tax on restaurant meals.  A couple of (hopefully more relavent) examples might help...

If I am purchasing a lens from a camera store, I will have to pay any taxes that are required based on that store's location which for example will likely include a state sales tax and possibly a city or county tax. 

If I am purchasing the same lens from a camera store over the Internet, I will have to pay any taxes that are required IF they have a store within my state.  Otherwise, they likely will not charge me tax, but my state asks me to specify any of these cases on my income taxes so that they can still get that sales tax! 

Other folks may have seen other "rules" but that's been my experience over the last few years. 

morticiaskeeper

morticiaskeeper

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTewkesbury, Glos
I've done this, but bought the lens in Switzerland, which, for those of you on the other side of the pond, is physically in Europe, but legally not in the European Union.

I bought the lens on the first day of the holiday, used it for ten days, then flat packed the box and receipt into luggage and carried the lens on the camera body.

If I were stopped, I'd just accept I'd got caught and pay the import duty.

RossCumming

RossCumming

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationScotland

Hi Cabcaster, specifically, which lens are you looking to buy or are you just considering it due to the price difference between UK / US? I have used Nikon cameras / lenses / binoculars for over 15 years, never had any issues and never had any requirements to use the warranty so for me, I am not too bothered about warranty. For this reason, i am happy to purchase imported lenses/cameras and one of the best places I have found in the UK is HDEW Cameras. They do not stock a large range of lenses so you may need to call and ask them about what you are looking for, but I have never had any issues using this Company. The stock is usually already in the UK therefore you will not get hit with the import tax on delivery (since the equipment is already in the UK). HDEW Cameras issue their own international warranty, but as previously stated, I have never had to use any warranty so cannot comment on how effective it is and I simply rely on the fact that none of my Nikon (nor Canon for that matter) equipment has ever failed.

Daniel

Daniel

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I've been to the States about 5 times over the past year and one thing I noticed is that the electronics and especially the camera gear are just about the same price. Ours might be lower because our dollar value has gone down a bit in the last year. Might want to check out Canadian prices. I see you were going to the US but I thought I might throw this in for people travelling Canada or shopping online.