Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Next piece of equipment to acquire?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Eagles1181

Eagles1181

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • LocationTexas

I recently purchased a D5100 kit (18-55 mm/3.5-5.6F lens).  My wife and I took a class about a week ago, so we understand the exposure triangle and how changing different settings effects the outcome (head knowledge at least).  I know we need shutter time, and more shutter time.  However, what piece of equipment should be start saving for as our next purchase?

We will mainly be taking picture of each other and our daughter with some nature mixed in, and a little of bit of anything else that we think might be interesting.  

Thanks for your suggestions.

Eagle

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway
f/4.5-5.6 55-300mm zoom lens.

One of the most useful and cost effective lenses you can own.

Upham

Upham

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Country Flag

Nikon 35 f/1.8 DX

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway

Nikon 35 f/1.8 DX

Good one. The 50mm f/1.8 is another good choice.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,267 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

A good quality Tripod. Plenty of people will suggest a Gitzo but I don't think you need to spend that much money. A nice Manfrotto with a decent mid sized ball head and Quick Release system should be more than adequate.

--Ron

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Good one. The 50mm f/1.8 is another good choice.

I would have also suggested the 50mm f/1.8 lens. It is probably the least expensive but also very versatile and great for learning.

Chrisf

Chrisf

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Country Flag

If you get the 50mm 1.8. Make sure you get one with an af motor since your camera won't af with a screw drive mount.

Eagles1181

Eagles1181

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • LocationTexas
HELP!!! Chrisf, you just went over my head. What is a screw drive mount?

Eagle

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,650 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The old lenses don't have the focus motor in the lens but rely on a mechanical coupling to a motor in the body instead. Today this motor is omitted in any but the prosumer and pro bodies for cost reasons. Your D5100 needs AF-S lenses to autofocus.

While saving up for a new lens, shoot lots and then sit down and analyze how you use what you've got. If you find that you mostly end up at 55 mm and then have to crop, get a tele zoom like the 55-300. If you mostly use 50 to 55 mm but want a shallower depth of field (less in focus) get a 50/1.8G. If you like the field of view at about 35 mm get the DX 35/1.8G. These three are the most bang for the buck you can find in the Nikkor lineup.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Lots of solid suggestions...I think I would lean towards the 55-300 based on what you've said if you are planning on purchasing quickly.  If not, Merco's suggestion is excellent to see what works best for you.  Since you mentioned photos of each other and your daughter, I'm thinking you might want longer than 55 for portraits although that should do pretty well at least as a start on your DX body.  Get out, take some photos and post the results - we'll all be happy to help with suggestions and that will probably end up telling you which will be the best choice for your next lens.  If you find you're shooting mostly indoors, a good flash might be your best bet for your next purchase...the built in flash can get the basic job done, but you might find it isn't too usefull in many situations...

Mr_Leeman

Mr_Leeman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Country Flag

Play first - get used to what you have. Kit is important but taking great shots is something to learn, whatever lens or camera you have. I started on the kit lens and moved onto a 18-200mm - which is great for day trips out with the family, it gives me the wide angle for landscape, mid range for the family and zoom for wildlife. It never came off the camera until yesterday. I aquired the 50mm 1.8 AF-S - and only had a little play but it opens up new avenues when shooting the boy at home, or outdoors - great in low light and for amazing bokeh (blurry background). For home use (non-pro), these are all I need. I will be aquiring a flash gun next... then I'll look at a tripod maybe.

Focus on the pitucres (get it... focus!), then worry about kit once you really know what you're doing. It's easy to think the kit will solve the issue that come from trial and error.