Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Looking for some advice/ criticism Part I

d3100

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

lokismind

lokismind

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Hi, these are some shots I took of my partner for her portfolio/page. All were taken with a D3100 on Auto. 

I'm a novice, but wanting to get better and get OFF the auto setting.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0098.JPG
  • DSC_0115.JPG
  • DSC_0120.JPG
  • DSC_0145.JPG

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

Watch your backgrounds and what is behind your subject. They can be distracting. The first shot is the neatest background of all your shots, but she is not looking at the camera and most of her face is obscured by her hair and pose.

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Since you were on auto, it looks like the flash fired, and on-camera flash is particularly unflattering for anyone. I'd try again during the day with perhaps some soft window light (not direct sunlight though).

The second shot could be nice if you were to redo it with a very wide aperture so that her eyes are in focus but the rest of her falls off into a softly blurred image. I'm guessing you probably have the kit lenses that came with the camera? If so, you may be limited in how wide you can go.

Still, put your camera in A mode (aperture priority) and then adjust your aperture to the lowest number you can (probably around 4 on the kit lens). Your camera will automatically adjust shutter speed and ISO to give you a good exposure (and the flash will not fire! Thank goodness.). Make sure your focus point is on the eyes. Do all this in better light and see what you come up with.

You could add some mystery and elegance to number three by getting much, much closer and using the same technique described in the paragraph above. Just remember to focus on the eyes. Right now there is nothing left to the imagination and the light is pretty unflattering.

Regarding the last shot, I'd recommend never posing a woman so she is facing the camera square on--it emphasizes width.

Hope this helps. I look forward to seeing what you do.

Serge

Serge

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMaidstone

Auto mode is...well...not the best idea to shoot indoors. White balance is out - all images are yellow. You should change it to tungsten as your camera won't allow you to manually adjust it. As Nicole said - use Auto ISO and A mode and disable built-in flash.

K-9 pointed messy background and I agree.

I don't know for what kind of portfolio/page those images are needed, but maybe you should play more with light - let her stand at the window playing with her hair or something like this. Look at samples of this kind of portraiture on the web - you'll find some great ideas. And also look for tutorials how to shoot without flash indoors.

Good luck :)

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

K-9 and Serge are right on.

Also, if she's going to show her feet, as in the second photo, make sure they're clean.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: d3100