Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The bunny Rabbit or the Electric Man?

batteries speedlite

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

DanielJamesVersace

DanielJamesVersace

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAdelaide

So I wanted to get a general feel of what sort of batteries people use, What brand and whether they are rechargeable.

I was using Energiser because i got about 16 when i first brought my Speedlite, and now i just brought 40 Duracell because i got them at around the same price, about 30¢ a batterie. I was going to a 21st and only had my last 4 batteries so i popped into a Service station and brought a 4 pack, These were a brand i had never heard of before and 4 batteries were as light as 2 of the Duracells. these Batteries lasted 200 shots, while the energiser ones last about 300-400.

I am still waiting to see how well Duracell batteries perform and will keep you all posted, I'm a bit iffy about using rechargeable.

And yes the flash is on the same settings and same power for all the shots.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,630 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I use Gen. 2 NiMh rechargeables. Eneloops or Varta Ready2Use work about equally well. I usually have some Varta alkalines for backup in the bag. The Varta batteries sold under their own brand is quite a bit better than what they make for store brands.

I tested some alkalines with a constant 1A load and measured the time to 1.1V under load a few years ago. Energizer Ultra, Duracell Procell and Simply and the store-brand Vartas were about equal just above 1 Ah. Energizer Industrial and Varta High Energy were about 1.35 Ah and Duracell Plus Power were 1.25 Ah.

/Peter

Daniel

Daniel

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I use rechargeable Energizer NIMH and Rechargeable Duracell NIHM Batteries to power my Speedlight's, Remote Flash Triggers-Pocket Wizards, and Camera Battery Grip.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I use both Engergizer and Duracell - usually the Energizer Ultimate Lithium as they do seem to last longer than the "regular" version.  I recently saw that Duracell came out with a similar high end version, but haven't purchased or tested them yet.  Only reason I don't use rechargables is that I so seldom use my flash.  Generally when I am using my flash I'm putting in new batteries for assignment and for the rare family pix when I use flash, I just continue to use those until the next assignment that requires flash.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,630 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The lithiums, both Energizer and Varta are a bit over 3 Ah measured down to 1.2 V. They work well in Nikon speedlights, but the higher voltage and lower Ri can fry cheaper units that are unregulated.

I didn't take them down to 1.1V because they get quite hot when fully discharged.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,260 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I've been using the Energizer Ultimate Lithiums in my speedlight. I also have some alkalines for backup. I like the Lithiums but when they deplete, they tend to do so all at once. One minute you're shooting and the next minute the flash starts acting weird. I'm planning to give some NIMH rechargeables a try.

I just run Nikon batteries in my cameras and, when I use my grip, it's usually empty.

--Ron

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

I usually buy Duracell, but if I see a good deal on a different brand, I'll get them.  I always carry spare batteries, so it's not a big deal to me how long they last.

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

Sanyo Eneloops, or Varta ready=to-use. Both are still about 80% charged after a year of non-use, unlike ordinary NiMh batteries.

DanielJamesVersace

DanielJamesVersace

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAdelaide

its really interesting to hear what everybody uses, also a lot of people go with rechargeable.

I usually use just normal batteries and keep another 4 in my bag as a back up.

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

Normal just isn't normal. :wacko:

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

Whatever you do, don't buy batteries at any of the various dollar or bargain stores!

DanielJamesVersace

DanielJamesVersace

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAdelaide

well i got mine off catch of the day, so i've had more good with them then bad. brought a lot of home stuff and sports stuff and shoes and clothes off them, But one day got like 64 pens and only 10 of them work, so i hope the 40 batteries work well and arnt crap.

wedgtail

wedgtail

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAdealaide

Enerloop in my 2 speed lights never had a problem with them .

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: batteries, speedlite