Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

High School Lacrosse

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Here are a few pix from the lacrosse scrimmage last Saturday.  For those who don't know lacrosse, it is played on a field similar in size to a football / soccer field and has 10 players a side.  Three attack men, three mid fielders (middies) and three defenders plus a goalie.  The game is played with a hard rubber ball about the size of a tennis ball and the players use sticks with a "basket" on the end to control the ball.  The goalie has a stick with a large basket (head) to help stop shots and up to four players can have long poles.  At least three players must stay on the offensive side of the field and at least four players must stay on the defensive side of the field.  That's the basics and will help you understand a bit when looking at the photos.  Oh yea...one more thing...it is definitely a contact sport.  All were shot with a D600, 200-400mm Nikkor at f4 and 1/1250 - Auto ISO.

Lacrosse-925.jpg

Lacrosse-990.jpg

Lacrosse-1032.jpg

Lacrosse-1401.jpg

Lacrosse-1433.jpg

Lacrosse-1789.jpg

Lacrosse-1881.jpg

Lacrosse-1902.jpg

Lacrosse-1907.jpg

10. Celebration after a goal...

Lacrosse-1789.jpg

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

Sweet stuff. I've seen a few photos of lacrosse but never a game in person. Very very minor sport here. My fav is 9, just as looks like a good save. Good celebration shot too.

How is that D600 for sport?

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,524 posts
  • Country Flag
Action loaded picture. I like 3 and 9 most.

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

Fantastic set! (But you know I love action shots). I especially like the ones where the ball is suspended in the air, or where an odd facial expression is captured (especially when on an impact).

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Thanx All!  Russ - I really like the D600 for sports.  As you will probably see over the next few weeks as our spring season gets rolling, it does very well with low light shots. It has enough frames per second for most situations although I feel like I am reaching the point where I want more fps.  The difference isn't really noticable normally, but in some situations, the lower fps compared to say the D4 mean that I need better timing.  Sometimes an extra shot between two of mine would have been the perfect shot...simple and cheaper answer is obviously improving my timing which I continue to work on, but either way, I know the higher fps would improve my chances of just the right image.

BTW, #9 was a nice save...typically there is significantly more scoring in lacrosse vs. soccer.  Scores can be in double digits although I think this scrimmage ended with the blue team winning 9-4.  That goalie is very good and didn't allow a goal through the first 3 quarters of the game.  His backup played the last quarter and gave up 4, but he also had some backups playing defense - definitely wasn't all his fault!  Our team actually might have two of the best goalies in the area!

Real games start on Thursday assuming they can get the snow off the field.  Luckily they're playing on an artificial turf field Thursday so the school can probably just plow the field!    We got about 10 inches in the storm Sunday evening into Monday...

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

It's calling you, isn't it? LOL

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

Yeah fps does help as you can't anicipate everything that's going to happen and then react when it does.

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway
These are great!

I'm going to have to try out my 6100 with the Tamron 400mm at some of the kids local soccer games this Sunday and see what I can get.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Thumper - Hello?  Is this D4S?  You'd love to come live here, wouldn't you?  There are well over 6000 reasons it will be awhile before you can stay though...but you are more than welcome to spend as much time with me as you'd like!

Alden - you got another new camera?  :)  That combo should work pretty well!

Russ - completely agree!!!  There are some things that are easier to anticipate than others...Baseball might be one of the hardest to anticipate (like cricket) since you generally have no idea who will be fielding the ball...Timing it difficult too trying to get the bat on the ball or similar.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Last night I was shooting a lacrosse game.  At half time, I was chatting with some dads - they got going faster than anticipated so I grabbed my camera and got reasonably close and turned it on in time to grab these shots - haven't really even gone through all the images yet, but had to see if I'd gotten these shots...not sure which one I like best...

ShaneShot-7198.jpg

ShaneShot-7199.jpg

ShaneShot-7200.jpg

BTW, my son is #20 in white!  I shoot for the school, so I shoot all the kids, but I always get mad at myself if I miss him doing something good!  I'll post some more once I get through everything...

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

Great set!!   I can't pick a favorite out of that set as they work well as a set and sort of have a dependency on each other (now that I have seen them all together.  I might think differently if I had only seen one out of the set.  If that makes any sense).

Looking forward to more!!

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway
I like the sequence of all three. I can't say I like any one better that the other two.

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

no.2 is the winner, action in focus and you can see the ball (just).

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I think I mentioned that I shot a couple of games in the rain this week...It was NOT a gentle rain - thought I'd share one of the pix...No editing other than a slight crop to an 8x10 format...

RainShot-20491.jpg

I'll try and post some others as my spring settles down...still have LOTS of photos to go through...hopefully will have some time this weekend!

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

In the rain, under lights, a great combo!

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

For reference, that shot in the rain was with my 200-400 on my D600 at ISO 6400, 220mm (+slight crop), f4, 1/1000

That exact setup took a spill this weekend up in West Virginia when I was shooting some college baseball.  I saw it going and mostly managed to prevent a problem...the lens and everything but the built in flash avoided any problem, but the flash banged on some concrete that left a bit of a mark...still not sure how it happened but glad that it didn't end up causing a problem...

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

I might be in the rain under lights tonight too, chance of thunder according to the forecast!  :(

Yikes - I bet your heart skipped a couple of beats when you saw that going down. Good work saving it.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Well, I can tell you I haven't moved that quickly in quite awhile!

I was going to shoot girls and boys lacrosse of two local schools earlier this week...Got about 5-10 minutes of shooting the second half of the girls game in the rain before lightning sent everyone off the fields...an hour or so later they rescheduled the remainder of the girls game to be played Saturday morning and the boys on Saturday afternoon...good news - only a 40% chance of rain on Saturday! 

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I'll throw in a few girls lacrosse shots here too...will add more boys after the season winds down...all with D600 and my 200-400 lens...

GirlsLax-29661.jpg

f4, 1/2000, ISO 800, 400mm

GirlsLax-29779.jpg

f4, 1/1000, ISO 800, 400mm

GirlsLax-29787.jpg

f4, 1/1000, ISO 800, 300mm

GirlsLax-29799.jpg

f4, 1/1000, ISO 800, 360mm

GirlsLax-29859.jpg

f4, 1/1000, ISO 1000, 400mm

The last photo is a face off for girl's lacrosse - I'll post some photos of face offs for boy's lacrosse.  The boy's game and girl's games are very different...

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

Yeah that last one - neither is looking at the ball, confusing.

Great save by the keeper in 2. No.3 is my fav though, sharp, action and intensity.