Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

From 10 feet deep

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts
  • Country Flag
Sharing these two shots taken yesterday at the end of a dive and while being about 10 feet deep.

Posted Image
-
Posted Image

Camera S9100 in an Ikelite housing

The effect is resulting from the sun shining through the trees that are at the border, as well as the algue in the water.

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway
I have never done any underwater photography. Very cool.

I would look for an underwater camera instead of a housing for one of my SLRs though.

Freaks me out to think of a popping a leak.

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,528 posts
  • Country Flag
Usually you try to take photos of life below - rarely you get the envy or occasion to shoot the above sealevel from below. However, when we were at the decostop and I saw this sunlight shining down on us I felt this was a picture to take, especially as visibility at depth had been so poor that it had not been worth shooting. All underwater cameras are in one way or another in a housing, as electronics and optics shall not become wet. On the market you will find some cameras that don't need additional housings - and can stand mostly shallower dephts - by having extra seals to all compartments that you can open (battery, memory card) as well as on the buttons. I have been using a SeaLife camera in the past which has such seals, but was not happy with the results of the pictures taken, so changed for an external housing which allows you to put in a standard camera. Indeed I occasionally read about housings that have floaded :( or seals that have leaked - and I agree with you that if you have an expensive camera in (some professional photographers use even D4 in housings) you must freak out, unless you have a good insurance.

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

Great shots. Cool vantage point.    I'd also like to see some of your underwater shots......of things underwater.   :lol:

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag

I love underwater shots since you don't see them very often.  Thanks for sharing!

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Super cool!!!! What awesome photos--very otherworldly.

I've always wanted to try underwater photography, but I'm like alden--not with my nice camera, thank you. And there aren't many places around here to get underwater. I'm not likely to go diving in the Great Salt Lake, ha ha! Especially not with electronic equipment. If we ever make it somewhere cool like Fiji or the Caribbean, I think I'd probably buy the Nikon 1 AW 1 or something similar.

Mr_Leeman

Mr_Leeman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Country Flag

Cool, could see these as a backdrop for somthing when playing around in photoshop.

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,528 posts
  • Country Flag
Adding another one of my underwater pictures.

Posted Image

It is a small sweet-water jellyfish (about the size a man's nail of the thumb) - they don't grow much larger - and the beam of a light in the background.

Not saying it is a picture that will meet the standard of the forum, however in my underwater photography there are few pictures I thought they are worth keeping. One of the reasons being that the particles floating in the water (which add to this picture) are usually between the lens and the object to shoot.