Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Using AF-ON instead of the shutter button

autofocus af

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

TeeJay

TeeJay

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Country Flag

Hello guys,

Sorry if this was discussed previously as I can't find a thread about this topic. I recently discovered that I can assign my AE-L/AF-L button on my D7000 to AF-ON and I'm still getting used to it -  but I can see myself using it more and more, instead of half-pressing the shutter button in the future.

Question is, how many of you are using the AF-ON (dedicated or not depending on the camera) button?

Do you prefer it over the shutter button? Why or why not?

Let the discussion begin :)

TIA

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I use AF-ON with continuous autofocus because of the ease of locking focus without having to press an AF-L button to keep it locked.

I have AE-L assigned to half-pressed shutter button so that it's easy to lock the metering. This leaves the AF-L/AE-L button free on my D300 and D700, so I've assigned that button to FEL to be able to fire the metering preflashes independently.

funny peculiar

funny peculiar

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWellington
I have my AE-L/AF-L button assigned to AF-ON too. I first used it when doing sports shooting and I've never gone back. Supposedly it is a slightly quicker way to shoot action shots.

I'm also pretty sure that it was a useful deterrent to prevent my teenage son sneaking out my D600 without my permission and using it because he couldn't get any photos in focus! He's only allowed the D3100 and the D200.

Afterimage

Afterimage

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPennsylvania

I just set this up with my camera and like it so far. It might take a bit to get used to the AF-On vs. 1/2 press shutter release but I think it's a very useful setting to learn.

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

Use af-on 100% of the time. Great for sports so focus isn't reacquired when pushing the shutter button.

TeeJay

TeeJay

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Country Flag

I can't believe I've gone a couple of years without using af-on + af-c. I'm getting a lot more usable photographs since I started using it >.<

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway
I have never used this feature. I'm going to try it out.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

My finger is pretty much always on the shutter release, so I have not really had a need to use it...but I just setup one of my D600 bodies with the setting and am going to give it a go next time out.  Unless I chicken out, that will be a lacrosse scrimmage tonight...nothing critical to shoot and the temps are supposed to be in the 20s (F) with wind...Just going to try to get myself back in the groove for lacrosse before the season cranks up next week...will probably only take that body and the 200-400 tonight. 

deano

deano

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationColorado USA

Site Supporter

Is this something I can set up on my D90 as well?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I think it is there on the D90, if I remember correctly it is custom setting f4.

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

It DOES take some getting used to. Now it's simply intuitive for me. I can be half-pressing the shutter button (ready to shoot), pressing the af-on button on and letting go and on again, and tracking someone running, and it's all without thinking about it. I really do surprise myself sometimes with what I can do.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Well, I'm testing it out tomorrow...already had camera setup and ready to go for last night but I ended up working a bit late and didn't want to make the 1 hour drive to get there late and stand in the cold for 3 hours before the drive home! 

Afterimage

Afterimage

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPennsylvania

I'm still playing with this setting but find it very useful so far. It's returns a little "manual" feel to the process and has some very distinct advantages over the traditional 1/2 press method.

The only real downside I'm seeing is that in a dynamic, action-packed moving environment you have to remember to hold the AF-On button to make sure your subject is being tracked. With the 1/2 press method you at least know that if you're firing it's tracking.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I'm still playing with this setting but find it very useful so far. It's returns a little "manual" feel to the process and has some very distinct advantages over the traditional 1/2 press method.

The only real downside I'm seeing is that in a dynamic, action-packed moving environment you have to remember to hold the AF-On button to make sure your subject is being tracked. With the 1/2 press method you at least know that if you're firing it's tracking.

On the other hand, when you use it for a shoot or two it becomes second nature and you still have the advantages...

Chrisf

Chrisf

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Country Flag

I like using simply because it can prevent you from taking accidental shots. Since the af is separated from the shutter release.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

As indicated, I plan to try it this weekend...I don't really see any issue with accidental shots if you are shooting digital.  My first reaction would be - Oh, hope I get something out of whatever I just shot.  Worst case it would take about 10 seconds to delete it...now, back in the film days I would take a few moments to mentally curse myself for wasting expensive film, but that isn't the case anymore...

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

The only real downside I'm seeing is that in a dynamic, action-packed moving environment you have to remember to hold the AF-On button to make sure your subject is being tracked.

That's exactly where I think it is best to use it. Like I say, it becomes intuitive.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Used it for part the game on Saturday...As long as I kept the button pushed, it kept me in focus and worked as I expected...I do think there is value, but not sure it will be a regular thing for me with lacrosse anyway...With lacrosse, my finger rarely leaves the trigger - even when I'm not shooting.  It is very fast paced and there is always action somewhere on the field, so even when I am not shooting, I'm tracking the ball or looking for some other action.  By the end of the 1st quarter of the game, my hand was cramping up from keeping the button pushed!  And, I did miss a couple of shots where I guess I let up on the button...it probably didn't help that it was my first lacrosse game this year - once I've shot a couple I anticipate a bit better and it might be better to try again then...I will definitely do it again - probably some other sports where there will be less continuous holding down of the button...baseball might work!

dbmcclus

dbmcclus

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Country Flag
Found this great article that explains AF-ON very well! Also has video demo. The author is Steve Perry, a famed nature photographer with 30 years experience. This is the way he shoots all the time. He says this article may change the way you shoot forever. I have made the switch. Check it out, it is well worth the read!
Dennis

AF-ON & Back Button Autofocus: This May Just Change the Way You Shoot Forever | PetaPixel

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway
I tried it and did not like it.

It does not give me any advantage over the traditional way to autofocus.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: autofocus, af