Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Daffodil

spring d7100

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLivingston, Scotland

Site Supporter

Took this from our garden and decided to see if I could get a good shot with my Tamron 70-300 Macro lens..

F stop =  F/4.5,

Exposure = 1/100

ISO = 800

Focal length = 180mm

Attached Thumbnails

• Daffodil.jpg

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 2,084 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Striking! I really like this. You really managed to capture some nice texture and detail. I love the ruffle on the top edge of the trumpet and the texture on the bottom petals. The quality of the light is very nice.

So when I read that you took this from your garden, I was staring at your settings trying to figure out how you got the background so black. Then I realized you probably meant you took it out of your garden, not that you took it from the perspective of your garden. :) Yay me for reading!

But I am curious about your set-up--what did you use as the backdrop, and what was light source? Nicely done, whatever you did.

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Striking! I really like this. You really managed to capture some nice texture and detail. I love the ruffle on the top edge of the trumpet and the texture on the bottom petals. The quality of the light is very nice.

So when I read that you took this from your garden, I was staring at your settings trying to figure out how you got the background so black. Then I realized you probably meant you took it out of your garden, not that you took it from the perspective of your garden. :) Yay me for reading!

But I am curious about your set-up--what did you use as the backdrop, and what was light source? Nicely done, whatever you did.

Thanks Nicole, Lol, sorry I should have said. yes, I took it from our garden and took the photos in our kitchen. Completely natural sunlight coming in the window, bounced off a white board just under the flower. The background is a black piece of cardboard.

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway
It's a good shot, but I want more detail in it. The problem I have with yellow flowers is picking up details. The bright color makes it difficult, but I like how you shot it with a black background.

180mm focal length? That's interesting. How far away were you?

I have a 400mm Tamron prime that close focuses and I think I might be able to get some really close almost macro shots with it. I need to try this.

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,287 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

Great shot. Very striking.

old4570

old4570

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Country Flag

It's a good shot, but I want more detail in it. The problem I have with yellow flowers is picking up details. The bright color makes it difficult, but I like how you shot it with a black background.

I have a 400mm Tamron prime that close focuses and I think I might be able to get some really close almost macro shots with it. I need to try this.

Yeah , a lot of folks run 300 to 500mm lenses and do fantastic Macro shots with them ..  

Might need a tripod though , I did play with a 300mm lens , and definitely wants a tripod ( for me ) , its good if you have problems getting close to subjects like insects ( big lens )  

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Thanks Alden, yeah the lens is a bit soft on the macro setting and never really gives a crisp, sharp picture. I was shooting in our kitchen so I was about 5-6 feet away from the flower. I wonder if I should have tried doing some focus bracketing, getting the whole flower in focus.

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Here's another taken from the same series of pictures, having looked at this one, I think this is better..

fstop = F4.5

Exposure = 1/100

ISO = 1400

Focal length = 180mm

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_1694.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: spring, d7100