Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nikon P510

manual mode advice

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Barb W

Barb W

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Country Flag

I own a P510, and shoot mainly in auto mode, unless I switch to manual for continuous shots. I want to know how to use some of the manual mode advantages that auto does not provide, however, I have no clue where to begin. Can someone give me an "assignment" that will allow me to explore an aspect of manual mode, without feeling overwhelmed? Thanks for any "takers"! :D

KurtCopeland

KurtCopeland

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Perhaps a bit late, but...how about this?

Find a scene in a park on a nice day with some things you can place in the foreground and background. They can be any type of items...water fountains, shrubs, kids playing, signs, benches...just so they are various items at different distances from the camera. The closest subject might be four or five feet away while subsequent objects are at increasing distances as far away as the other side of the park. Pick an item in the middle of the group (halfway across the park?) and focus on it using the fastest shutter speed feasible and see how many items you can get into focus along with it. Take a picture! Decrease the shutter speed a notch and adjust the aperture accordingly to get the same exposure as the first picture. See how many of the items you can get into focus with this setup and...take another picture! Keep decreasing the shutter speed and adjusting the aperture to accommodate the shot. The slower the shutter speed, the more items you should be able to get into focus (increased depth of field) and see how far you can go and still get clear, crisp handheld pictures without using a tripod. This is good practice for taking low light pictures with slower shutter speeds. Brace your camera against your body or brace yourself by kneeling, leaning or even shooting prone for the slower shutter speeds.

Remember to compare your photos when you get home and check that varying depth of field to see how it affects the composure of your shots.

Anyone else got any fun stuff to try?

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

Good tip, Kurt, but I fear Barb may have gone too long without a response and bolted!  The forum has lots of topics and threads, and while we're usually good about giving answers to questions, this one slipped through the cracks.  Probably, due to it being in the quiet compacts section.  Sorry, Barb!

Barb W

Barb W

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Country Flag

Good tip, Kurt, but I fear Barb may have gone too long without a response and bolted!  The forum has lots of topics and threads, and while we're usually good about giving answers to questions, this one slipped through the cracks.  Probably, due to it being in the quiet compacts section.  Sorry, Barb!

Hi K-9! I haven't bolted yet! Ha. I have had some great responses, but it is so cold and uninspiring outside that I haven't ventured out with the camera in a few weeks. I appreciate all of the advice tremendously and have copied all the responses so I can do my "lessons". I need to configure my settings on this fourm so that I get my messages via email.

I also need to really explore this site. Thanks for your response!

Barb

Perhaps a bit late, but...how about this?

Find a scene in a park on a nice day with some things you can place in the foreground and background. They can be any type of items...water fountains, shrubs, kids playing, signs, benches...just so they are various items at different distances from the camera. The closest subject might be four or five feet away while subsequent objects are at increasing distances as far away as the other side of the park. Pick an item in the middle of the group (halfway across the park?) and focus on it using the fastest shutter speed feasible and see how many items you can get into focus along with it. Take a picture! Decrease the shutter speed a notch and adjust the aperture accordingly to get the same exposure as the first picture. See how many of the items you can get into focus with this setup and...take another picture! Keep decreasing the shutter speed and adjusting the aperture to accommodate the shot. The slower the shutter speed, the more items you should be able to get into focus (increased depth of field) and see how far you can go and still get clear, crisp handheld pictures without using a tripod. This is good practice for taking low light pictures with slower shutter speeds. Brace your camera against your body or brace yourself by kneeling, leaning or even shooting prone for the slower shutter speeds.

Remember to compare your photos when you get home and check that varying depth of field to see how it affects the composure of your shots.

Anyone else got any fun stuff to try?

Thanks, Kurt! I am copying all of the wonderful responses and waiting for the weather to clear a bit, so I can do my "lessons"! Thank you for your great tutorial. I appreciate you for taking the time to help out this newbie.

Barb

KurtCopeland

KurtCopeland

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Wonderful! I hope you get the chance to check out the features of your camera soon!

Best wishes in your photographic adventures.

:)

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

Glad to see you stuck around, Barb. We're all waiting for the weather to get better. This forum should get pretty active in the coming months, with new tips and photos.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: manual mode, advice