Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Lightroom problems

adobe lightroom windows import

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I'm using Lightroom 4.4 for windows and I've been having a problem with import for quite some time. Today, I decided to see if I could track it down but that led to another problem involving the Adobe help system. Jeeze!

Anyway, the original problem is that when I want to import photos off of a memory card that already has previously imported photos still on it, Lightroom insists on loading all of the previously imported photos into the import dialog. I have to wait for all of them to load and then scroll down to the bottom of the import dialog to see the new additions.

I have Lightroom set to not import suspected duplicates. Shouldn't it not show those previously imported files as well? When I used Adobe Photoshop Elements it would remember previously imported files on the same card and back when I used Canon's Zoombrowser EX with a powershot it would remember them as well. I have never used Adobe Bridge or Nikon's View or Capture NX. Perhaps I should.

So, the question is, what am I doing wrong? I've looked through preferences but I can find nothing that relates to this. And help, once I found it, was no help at all.

Thanks,

--Ron

yauman

yauman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMartinez, CA

I'm a long time Lightroom user - but I don't quite understand your question. If you set Lightroom to NOT import duplicates, it will check your current catalog to see if the images are already in the catalog and will not import it.  So, seems like it's doing what it's suppose to do.  It won't know when you imported the duplicates so the "last imported" filter will not show it. When you select import, it should show in grid mode the images it's about to import and any images that it won't import because they are already in the catalog should be unchecked by the program.

• Ron likes this

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

This is exactly as designed. It shows the full source, so that the user can catch misidentified matches and select them manually. With fast cards in a fast reader, there is a very short waiting time.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Ok,thanks to you both! I appreciate it. 

--Ron

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Strangely enough, Ron, I had a similar problem with LR5 just this past week. I have it set up so the duplicates don't even show up (well, they show for a fraction of a second) on import. I'm not sure if I accidentally hit the wrong button or what, but suddenly EVERYTHING was showing up to be imported, and the duplicates were sitting there next to their twins in the library (two shoots, same day, same card--came home and downloaded morning shoot, went back out later for the evening shoot). I checked to make sure my LR import settings were set as "don't show duplicates," but that didn't seem to matter. I finally cancelled the import, ejected the card, and restarted LR; after that it went back to normal. I still have no idea what I did to get that weirdness, but I think if you figure out your issue, I might be able to figure out mine. It hasn't happened again. Yet.
  • Ron likes this

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City
Nbanjogal, that's exactly what I'm seeing. When everything settles down, I'm presented with a screen showing all the photos on the card. Both new and previously imported. Restarting the application doesn't change this behavior.

--Ron

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Here are some answers from Adobe's forum--it doesn't explain why my version of Lightroom had the little hiccup it did, but I'm bookmarking this for future reference.

It looks like Preference files might be an issue? Check out the highlighted box with the title "Correct":

Adobe Community

• Ron likes this

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Thanks, Nicole. I'll give this a try and see how it goes. 

--Ron

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I rarely run into this since I reformat my card before a shoot, but I have definitely had it happen.  LR opens up when I insert my card and my first step is to cancel the import...I use Explorer (PC) or Finder (Mac) to manually move the files to the location on disk where I want them.  After they're off the card, then I do my import...it allows me to separate as desired (sometimes multiple sports and / or games in one day that I need to separate) and import them separately so I can track them later.  Of course, that means a bit more effort on my part, but it seems to help me keep things organized and I think that is really the most important part!

• Ron likes this

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I've thought of using a different import method myself. I hate to admit it but I like Canon's Zoombrowser much better when it comes to importing photos. I'm giving a bit of thought to trying Nikon's Capture or View NX just to see how it imports.

--Ron

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: adobe, lightroom, windows, import