Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Show your improvement

challenge improvement

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

After chatting on another thread about how constant shooting is the only real way to improve, I thought I'd ask to see if any of you are willing to share how far you've come.

Here's what I'd suggest (and love to see) for this little challenge:

Post TWO images.

1) First post an image you took awhile ago (years or weeks, doesn't matter) that you thought was really good but now you look back on and realize it's not all that great (maybe even kind of sucks).

2) Second post an image you've taken lately that you feel shows you've gotten better since then. 

Anybody up for this challenge?

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Just to get things started, I will take the plunge and humiliate myself.

Here is a picture I took of my daughter when she was about three months old. I thought it was a great photo, and I even took it to one of my first photography classes to show as one of the best shots I took that week. Clearly I was letting emotional attachment to the subject cloud my judgment. (I used the on-camera flash, for heck's sake! Poor baby.)

DSC_0124.JPG

Just for comparison, I'll put up a picture of the same subject that I hope shows I've gotten better at taking photos of her. I hope I'm not still letting emotions cloud my judgment. :)

11988659906_e18ec3332f_b.jpg

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

Yes, a noticeable improvement in exposure, white balance, and composition.

Most of my bad ones are on slide/film, so I'd have to break out the scanner to get them posted here.  I've only digitized the good ones.  :)

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Most of my bad ones are on slide/film, so I'd have to break out the scanner to get them posted here. I've only digitized the good ones. :)

Aw, c'mon. Just one... :)

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

If I find any, I'm also tempted to put them in the critique section, as that area really hasn't had activity in months. Everyone keeps critiquing the same photos from October over and over again. :D

PrettyCranium

PrettyCranium

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Country Flag
Wow, the second picture is amazing and stunning. What a difference!

greatscott94

greatscott94

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSurrey, BC

Site Supporter

Great thread.

Here's a portrait I made about a year and a half ago...

7853755138_a524838e24_b.jpg

Now heres one I made about 2 weeks ago...

11897023074_7d57597e38_b.jpg

The big difference for me is my understanding of light and refining my post processing.

Cheers

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Your first one wasn't too bad to start with! :) The second is remarkable though--just really well done. Wow. It's inspiring to me as well, since I'm about to start my own lighting journey (lights, umbrellas, and stands should arrive on Tuesday!). 

I'm looking at the catchlights in the eyes on the second shot and trying to figure out your setup--was it a clamshell?

greatscott94

greatscott94

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSurrey, BC

Site Supporter

Your first one wasn't too bad to start with! :) The second is remarkable though--just really well done. Wow. It's inspiring to me as well, since I'm about to start my own lighting journey (lights, umbrellas, and stands should arrive on Tuesday!). 

I'm looking at the catchlights in the eyes on the second shot and trying to figure out your setup--was it a clamshell?

Thank you very much :)

The setup was pretty simple. 2 Yongnuo 560III Speedlights mounted on shoot through umbrellas. Both umbrellas directly facing the model, one above my camera (bottom of the umbrella touching my lens) and the other umbrella below the camera slightly angled up. I used this set up to increase the power of the lighting and remove any shadows from his face.

My entire lighting set up cost only about $250 :)

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Huzzah!! I just bought some YN560IIIs as well. They may not be the best out there, but I figured the price was right for someone just learning to use speedlights.

greatscott94

greatscott94

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSurrey, BC

Site Supporter

Huzzah!! I just bought some YN560IIIs as well. They may not be the best out there, but I figured the price was right for someone just learning to use speedlights.

They're fantastic. You'll love them and I can't wait to see the photos you create :)

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

I hope so. I've been both encouraged and discouraged to go with Yongnuo. The fact that a photographer of your caliber is using them and happy with them (and getting beautiful results!) is very encouraging to me.

And you can't beat $250 for a whole lighting kit!

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

Great Scott, what a great shot! Sorry, couldn't resist.

I see you've moved on to a more suitable model, too. I don't know where you found that first silly looking dude.

greatscott94

greatscott94

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSurrey, BC

Site Supporter

Great Scott, what a great shot! Sorry, couldn't resist.

I see you've moved on to a more suitable model, too. I don't know where you found that first silly looking dude.

HAHAHAHA

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLivingston, Scotland

Site Supporter

Great thread.

Here's a portrait I made about a year and a half ago...

7853755138_a524838e24_b.jpg

Now heres one I made about 2 weeks ago...

11897023074_7d57597e38_b.jpg

The big difference for me is my understanding of light and refining my post processing.

Cheers

FAntastic shots, I love how you have made the watch the focal point but have taken nothing away from the model, very clever. Great lighting too.

Chrisf

Chrisf

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Country Flag

Here it goes. This buck approximately a year ago. seems a bit soft to my current standards.

28hld15.jpg

This eagle shows improvement, although I can still see room for improvement.

j5frdu.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: challenge, improvement