Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

ordered D3300 Kit, looking for a prime lens

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

SuperSober

SuperSober

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Country Flag

I ordered the D3300, and , acording to amazon, the regular 50mm lens will not fit. ...

I'm not sure if that is true or not, but I would like a nice prime lens to compliment the lens that came with the kit.

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway
It will fit, it just may not auto-anything. I'm not really sure.

It should be fine though as a manual focus lens.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The 50 mm D lenses will meter, but not auto focus. The 50 mm G lenses will work fully. The important thing to look for in buying lenses for the bodies without a focus motor is AF-S (or sometimes written as AFS) in the lens descriptions.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City
I would opt for the Nikkor 35mm f1.8DX if I were you. On a DX body the 35mm will cover the same angle of view as a 50mm lens on a full frame body. Plus, this lens has a built-in motor so it will work perfectly on your new camera. It's also very inexpensive.

--Ron

SuperSober

SuperSober

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Country Flag
Ok thanks everyone. So if it says af-s it will work fully including auto focus ?

So does the d3300 have a auto focus motor, and the motor only works with certain lens?

I think im only interested in lens that work full with my body.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

AF-S lenses work fully, but all older lenses are crippled on D3xxx and D5xxx bodies.

There is no focus motor in the D3300 itself, it need lenses with motors in the lens.

Next question is: Do you need a fast normal lens or a portrait and short tele? The 35/1.8 works very well on a D3300 as a normal lens, that is as the 50 mm lenses worked on film. A 50 works like a short tele lens, and the AF-S 50/1.8G or 1.4G are nice choices for portraits and some live music etc. This is what Ron meant with his comment about the 35 being a better choice as a first prime lens. There is a *long* thread about getting a first prime lens for the beginning photographer here.

/Peter

SuperSober

SuperSober

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Country Flag
I was looking for a good prime lens for portraits. Not that i NEED one, but would just like one.

Im leaning towards the 35mm i think. So the 50mm has a WIDER veiw than the 35 ?

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I was looking for a good prime lens for portraits. Not that i NEED one, but would just like one.

Im leaning towards the 35mm i think. So the 50mm has a WIDER veiw than the 35 ?

On your 3300 a 35mm lens has a wider field of view than a 50mm lens. A 50mm lens would be a very short telephoto lens on the D3300 and should make a nice portrait lens. If that's what you want, a portrait lens, then one of the 50mm primes would be a better choice. Just be sure that the lens you get is marked as an AF-S lens.

A rule of thumb regarding lens focal lengths...

lower numbers = a wider field of view and less magnification.

higher numbers = a narrower field of view and more magnification.

--Ron

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

The 50 has a narrower field of view than the 35 and works more like a classic portrait lens. A 35 works quite well for portraits as long as you don't try to make head- and shoulders portraits, but the 50 makes it easier to get enough distance between you and your subject to get a good perspective.

The nomenclature is, from wide to narrow:

Superwide, wide, normal, short tele, medium tele and long tele

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

Get the 50mm f1.8 G for portraits. The 35mm has too much distortion for my liking, and the bokeh isn't the best for portraits. Neither of these flaws are much of a concern for general photography, but they are definitely not ideal characteristics to have for a prime lens intended for portraiture.

SuperSober

SuperSober

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Country Flag
I hate to be a flip flopper, but how many people have manual only lens on their camera and find them just fine or more fun ?

After doing some more reading, I'm wondering if the $99 nikon 50mm lens will do me just fine, or if I'll be kicking myself wondering why I didn't spend the extra $100 for the af-s version?

I should probably be posting in the beginner section btw.

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

I hate to be a flip flopper, but how many people have manual only lens on their camera and find them just fine or more fun ?

After doing some more reading, I'm wondering if the $99 nikon 50mm lens will do me just fine, or if I'll be kicking myself wondering why I didn't spend the extra $100 for the af-s version?

You don't need autofocus for portraiture, so it's up to you whether or not you want to spend the extra cash.  I currently only own 3 Nikon lenses and only 2 of them are AF.  I have no trouble shooting with my one MF lens.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Personally, I would spend the extra money and get the newer AF-S version. Your new camera was designed to use that type of lens. 

--Ron

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

The finder in the D3300 is optimized for AF and does not snap into focus when focusing manually like the more expensive Nikons. It can be done, but it is not very enjoyable.

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,528 posts
  • Country Flag
Get the one with the autofocus.

While taking photos with manual focus only is possible and will apply for persons and objects that don't move, i.e. for taking portraits, your daughter will start moving around soon and you will be sorry for a number of missed shots, just because they are not focussed.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I'd suggest the auto-focus...I did LOTS of photography before auto-focus - would not want to live without it now!

If you take the lens focal length (35 or 50), multiply by 1.5 to get the effective focal length with a DX sensor (35 becomes 52.5 and 50 becomes 75). 

SuperSober

SuperSober

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Country Flag
Thanks everyone. I ordered the 35mm af-s lens for about $209. I should be getting theD3300 in the mail tomorrow with the kit lens. Ill post some pictures when i do.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Thanks everyone. I ordered the 35mm af-s lens for about $209. I should be getting theD3300 in the mail tomorrow with the kit lens. Ill post some pictures when i do.

And so it begins. NAS is a disease many of us have, isn't it nice?

The first part of this post is very much tongue-in-cheek, I think you made a wise decision starting out with a normal lens as your first prime.

NAS as a TLA can be found and explained at the good resource NAS - Nikon Acquisition Syndrome (slang; urge to buy Nikon equipment or accessories) | AcronymFinder.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

And so it begins. NAS is a disease many of us have, isn't it nice?

The first part of this post is very much tongue-in-cheek, I think you made a wise decision starting out with a normal lens as your first prime.

NAS as a TLA can be found and explained at the good resource NAS - Nikon Acquisition Syndrome (slang; urge to buy Nikon equipment or accessories) | AcronymFinder.

It could be worse. At least we aren't talking about sailboats!

--Ron

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

It could be worse. At least we aren't talking about sailboats!

--Ron

Or my favourite materials driven sport, F5B electric gliders (aeromodelling). I don't know how many speed controllers at $600 a pop I have burnt, and motors at $500. The battery packs at $300 were competitive for about 20 starts, then they had to be downgraded for training. A new mold when I came up with something new for wings or fuselage were about $1000 each. A prop. mold took about a week to make and cost $200-300. The lay-ups and radio hardware were quite cheap in comparison. Not as expensive as sailboats, but...