Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Elements 8.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Clapton1

Clapton1

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOttawa
Is photoshop elements 8any good?

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag

It's a few years old, but it will certainly get the job done for everyday edits.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Is photoshop elements 8any good?

Yeah, but as Adam said, it's getting a bit long of tooth. Photoshop Elements is pretty inexpensive though. I've seen current versions of it around $50US although the price does fluctuate a bit. One thing you want to be sure of if you buy a current version of Elements is that your operating system is supported. I think if you're using Windows XP the highest you can go is about Elements 10.

However, if Elements 8 is all you have, it will work pretty well. You'll just be lacking a few features and bug fixes the later versions have, and the version of Adobe Camera RAW that's included in Elements 8 may not support your camera. This will only be a problem if you shoot RAW. Jpegs are fully supported.

--Ron

Clapton1

Clapton1

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOttawa
Reason i ask is i can buy one used for 20 bucks

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Personally I'd spend more to get LightRoom, but barring that, I think I'd at least spend the $50 for the most recent version - you should qualify for the upgrade prices from then on and it will have support for the latest camera files...

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,646 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I don't remember if the D3100 RAW is supported in v8. That camera was introduced at about the same time as v9 and I am not sure that Camera Raw 6.2 supports it. For that low price, converting to DNG might be worth it if necessary...

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,265 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Lightroom is a good choice but has a fairly steep learning curve compared to Elements. Also, Elements automates a lot of common photo fixes and enhancements. Lightroom doesn't. If you're new to Photoshop, Elements can be a good learning tool.

--Ron

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,529 posts
  • Country Flag

Personally I'd spend more to get LightRoom, but barring that, I think I'd at least spend the $50 for the most recent version - you should qualify for the upgrade prices from then on and it will have support for the latest camera files...

Indeed, why going for a product, just because you can get it second hand but outdated (not only to the extend that something newer (with extra features) is on the market, but that the older version might no longer be fit for use. What might be ok for hardware is rarely for software.

If you want to start with Elements I would rather go for the latest version.

Clapton1

Clapton1

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOttawa
Looks like im going to buy lightroom5
I have a question first,can i install the software on more than one computer?
  • Ron likes this

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,646 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Good choice!

Adobe has a FAQ available about the EULA here.

Clapton1

Clapton1

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOttawa
Thanks for the link.
Any advantage over having the hard copy than the email download some places offer?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,646 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Don't know about the difference, I've always bought my licenses for Adobe software directly from Adobe Sweden and downloaded the software using my Adobe Id. It works well, and since I am already registered it has always been hassle-free to get upgrade rebates and support when necessary.

/Peter

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I bought one of each (different times)...I like the convenience of the download...you can download a 30 day trial from Adobe too which will give you a chance to see if you like your choice prior to purchase...

Clapton1

Clapton1

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOttawa

Just downloaded the 30 day trial,wow! its really intimidating.love the spot removal tool!

Im confused about the pricing.A student can get it for 79.99.So all I have to do is mail in a report card from my son?

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I'm not sure they even require that - you would have to see what they require - I'm sure the requirements are listed on the site somewhere...but if you are looking at getting the student price, I would think they might have an issue if they discovered that it was purchased by a non-student and / or it was used for a profit should you sell an image that can be tracked back to it...

Clapton1

Clapton1

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOttawa

Done,used my sons report card.Im stuned about what this software can do and im sure I haven't even seen 10% of it yet!