Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Good news for Nikon D600 owners

nikon d600

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Moester1955

Moester1955

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Good news for Nikon D600 owners

Nikon USA now offers free D600 shutter replacement for the 'dust' issue - Camera News at Cameraegg

Daniel

Daniel

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I don't own a D600 but I think this is good news. 

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I haven't had the problem with my D600 bodies but I'm quite glad they have made that offer in case I eventually encounter the problem...

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,265 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I think this is a very positive step by Nikon (even if they were scared into doing it by the possibility of a class action lawsuit). I only wish they had been more forthcoming from the outset. I'm a believer in owning up to your mistakes. I think it's better to admit that you goofed and then correct the problem rather than stay silent and hop it goes away.

I was in the market for a D600 but didn't pull the trigger mainly because of the sensor spotting issue. Had they had acknowledged the problem up front and taken a stand similar to what they're doing now I may have taken a chance. As it is, they lost a sale.

--Ron

Serge

Serge

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMaidstone

It's a good news especially for those who have about/over 100k on their shutter count - free replacement and off they go! :)

Well done Nikon!

jack

jack

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAdelaide AU

Site Supporter

Great news, Nikon Australia is offering the same service.

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway

Quick question, indirectly related to this topic -- where do you find the shutter activation counter on these cameras?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,646 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Nikon hides the information somewhat, but it can be found. I did a From: Nikon Df initial shutter count - NikonForums.com entry about it.

/Peter

funny peculiar

funny peculiar

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWellington
I am really relieved by this. My D600 has from outset splashed oil spots so whenever I have photos with a light colour in the top left quadrant I have to spend 5-10 minutes using a cloning tool to get rid of the replicated spots on images.

I really thought Nikon had lost the plot here because as pointed out elsewhere this failure clearly represented a breach of the normal implied warranties of fit for the purpose and merchantability.

It was looking like Nikon were happy to take the hit to their reputation knowing that they had customers with a whole bunch of Nikon lenses who therefore could not easily change to another brand. Real shortsighted. But consumers have a long memory so that would have been detrimental long term.

Good on you Nikon.

byrd-2020

byrd-2020

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Nikon has "done the right thing".  Although it took awhile, I think they should be given full marks for owning up to this problem and taking care of it (at no charge to the user).  

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

Long overdue, but still very good news. It will be interesting to hear from users who get this taken care of, to see how long the turnaround time is.

Chasing Light in MD

Chasing Light in MD

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

Long overdue indeed......

funny peculiar

funny peculiar

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWellington
Further to my earlier post on this topic I've checked and now had confirmation from Nikon in New Zealand that they'll service my D600 for the sensor oil spot issue. Really good news.

Nesster

Nesster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew Jersey, USA

Site Supporter

I decided to take the offer, I'm in NJ and the camera was sent to Nikon's NY repair center. Dropped it off at a UPS Store Saturday. Then had a moment of anxiety: did I actually have any legal proof I'd sent it? LOL. Tuesday I got the email from Nikon saying they're replacing the shutter. I'll update when I get the camera back.

I tried to think positively about the oil problem, and indeed the camera stayed clean for a while, but the spots kept coming back, and yes, very obvious against pale backgrounds. Getting rid of them wasn't too onerous for me, but still annoying enough that I decided to let Nikon fix it.

Nesster

Nesster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew Jersey, USA

Site Supporter

So an update: Nikon New York facility acknowledged receipt on 3/18; I got notice they shipped the camera back Friday 3/21, with delivery expected today. Of course 'adult signature' is required, so I may not get the camera till tomorrow... This is pretty excellent turn around, IMO.

Rocks

Rocks

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

I bought a D600 last summer. The retailer where I bought it sent it in to the Nikon repair facility here in Canada, and they cleaned the sensor. About a month later I started to get spots again, so I sent it back again. I got it back three days ago, and they told me they had replaced the shutter assembly, and that it should be good to go now. I was happy to get it back and I hope the issue is fixed, as I do like the camera.

The retailer loaned me a D800 the second time I sent it in, I had fun with it, but as an amateur prefer the D600 as I use a lot of the Auto settings.

funny peculiar

funny peculiar

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWellington

Just received my D600 back from Nikon in New Zealsnd with a free replacement shutter mechanism to eliminate the oil spot issue. All done under the recently announced service advisory. There and back in 3 days. We'll done Nikon - you have just saved your reputation with me.

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

FP - Did you go direct to Nikon, or through a shop?

funny peculiar

funny peculiar

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWellington
Straight to Nikon - and bearing in mind mine was a grey market camera this was a very welcome response

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

Wow - yes indeed. Good on them.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nikon d600