Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nikon DF -- What's the problem?

dx fx full frame

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

byrd-2020

byrd-2020

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I finally pulled the trigger this past week and ordered a Nikon Df.   With a 60 day return policy from Crutchfield camera  I thought I could really put the camera to the test.  I ordered the silver body and an 85mm f1.8 D lens. After a few days shooting, all I can say is 'Wow'.  (I don't need 60 days--3 has been enough.)

My initial worries about manual focusing, handling etc. haven been, I now see, completely unfounded.  This camera handles beautifully!  And, while I was initially worried about the lack of interchangeable screens, the focusing confirmation is so precise that manual focusing with this camera is simply not going to be an issue.

What has amazed me more than anything, though, are the files.  There is a reason why the Nikon D4 has been the company's 'flagship'.  And there is a reason why the Df costs what it does.  The sensor in this camera (developed 'in house' by Nikon, as I understand it) is simply amazing.  At low ISOs (anything below 800) the tonality is  incredibly smooth.  Shots at 3200 and 6400 are much more than usable--they are quite beautiful.  Shadow detail is simply amazing.  If this is 'dated technology', then I'll take all I can get. 

I don't know what others think, but there is, to my eye, a very different look that the Df and D4 produce when compared to the sensors in both the D610 and D800.  It is difficult to describe.  But I do know that this is *the* sensor for the kinds of photos I make. (I suspect that D4 users know what I am talking about.)

If you are having concerns about the handling, all I can say is 'order one and try it out. You can always return it.'  Every concern I had simply vanished after a few days shooting.  And my biggest question now is: what will my next lens purchase be?

I would add that I am extremely pleased with the 85mm 1.8 D lens. I use an 85mm as my 'normal' lens; and since I wanted an aperture ring (that's why I did not order the kit lens) I went with the D over the newer G lens.  I am now trying to decide whether to get the  50mm f1.4 D (I've got to have that aperture ring) or pony-up for the  50mm f1.2 Ai.

Anyway, forget all that crap--and that is what it is--about this camera having a 'cheap' or 'plasticky' feel.  It is magnesium alloy; it is light; and it feels strong. It is--at least to these eyes--a beautiful design.  And it is not going to weigh you down the way that a D4 will.

For those of you who have not read it yet, I would suggest that you look at Steve Huff's 'real world' review of the Nikon Df.  His sentiments regarding this camera are essentially the same as mine. Huff says that amongst current offerings, this is the only full-frame DSLR he would own. (He makes this judgment based on size, weight, and handling.) I have to say that I feel the same way.  And now that I do own this camera, I'm not letting go of it--at least not for a very long time.

Upham

Upham

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Country Flag

I don't understand why everyone thinks the DF is overpriced, you are already getting a improved D4 sensor for 50% of the price. I guess they just want to have their cake and eat it too.

I think you can change the focusing screen, they are being sold

Focusing Screen

People just like to bash Nikon for no reason and make up flaws, that's why i'm glad i found this forum with mature people!

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

For me, the Df is a dream come true, now I *just* need to find the cash for two of them... Ok, it is not as slim and tank-like as the F2 was but it still feels better in my hand than the D700 ever did.

/Peter

B Grace

B Grace

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Country Flag

I too really like the AF85/1.8D I have and I've used my AF50/1.4D for four or five years now.  I think the 50/1.4 offers a very nice balance of sharpness and smooth transitions in tones.  And it's a nicely sharp lens when stopped down for landscape shots.  The side benefit of the D lenses is they work perfectly on my older film cameras.  The AF-D lenses feel like miniature, rangefinder lenses when compared to the current G primes.

Guy

Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Country Flag

I'm liking my Df too.  It has a few design mistakes.  But I think that's what happens when the Market Department gets to have a hand in the design decisions.  They make irrational decisions for engineers.

Steve Hoff's opinion on any camera is hard to use.   He has too strong of bias for small cameras therefore making for a closed mind.  Apparently, he must not shoot large zooms and sports/action. where such a lens would be ridiculously awkward on a small camera.   In other words,  if he can't see the utility of a big grip DSLR than his opinion is not very useful unless you only shoot street photography too. 

byrd-2020

byrd-2020

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I too really like the AF85/1.8D I have and I've used my AF50/1.4D for four or five years now.  I think the 50/1.4 offers a very nice balance of sharpness and smooth transitions in tones.  And it's a nicely sharp lens when stopped down for landscape shots.  The side benefit of the D lenses is they work perfectly on my older film cameras.  The AF-D lenses feel like miniature, rangefinder lenses when compared to the current G primes.

Thanks for your comment  B Grace. I'm probably going to go with the 50 f1.4D. 

I hear nothing but good things about it. If it's at all close to the 85mm 1.8 D I'll be a happy camper

Wired

Wired

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

I need to get a couple more lenses first, the list is getting shorter, but a Df is on my radar. Probably by fall I'll have it, maybe sooner... depends on a lot of things. Right now I gotta figure out 24-70mm f2.8 between Tamron and Nikon, and then I need to replace my 24mm f2.8 with the 28mm f1.8... after that I'll think about the Df a bit more. :)

byrd-2020

byrd-2020

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I'm liking my Df too.  It has a few design mistakes.  But I think that's what happens when the Market Department gets to have a hand in the design decisions.  They make irrational decisions for engineers.

Steve Hoff's opinion on any camera is hard to use.   He has too strong of bias for small cameras therefore making for a closed mind.  Apparently, he must not shoot large zooms and sports/action. where such a lens would be ridiculously awkward on a small camera.   In other words,  if he can't see the utility of a big grip DSLR than his opinion is not very useful unless you only shoot street photography too. 

It's true that Steve Huff is biased towards small cameras. However, he does acknowledge that if he were shooting sports (where high fps is required) or in a demanding professional job (where the security of a second card is an advantage) he would go with a different camera. He's not opposed to the larger cameras if the situation demands it. He just points out that for the typical enthusiast (which is what he considers himself), smaller size and less weight are important.

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway
I was considering the 1.8 85mm AF-G, but after reading this thread I may go for the D instead.

I like having an aperture ring on the lens, and if I can get the same results as the G gives for $100 less (if I can find one used) I'd go for it.

Guy

Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Country Flag

It's true that Steve Huff is biased towards small cameras. However, he does acknowledge that if he were shooting sports (where high fps is required) or in a demanding professional job (where the security of a second card is an advantage) he would go with a different camera. He's not opposed to the larger cameras if the situation demands it. He just points out that for the typical enthusiast (which is what he considers himself), smaller size and less weight are important.

Perhaps, but every time I read something of his, it comes down to, "oh, it's too big..." and in the context as if his genera of photography is the only one that matters.  

I was considering the 1.8 85mm AF-G, but after reading this thread I may go for the D instead.

I like having an aperture ring on the lens, and if I can get the same results as the G gives for $100 less (if I can find one used) I'd go for it.

Read some reviews too.  Reportedly, the G-version has better bokeh.  And in a portrait focal length, that might be considered important.  

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway
I'm still also considering a fully manual Rokinon f/1.4 85 too. It gets very good reviews and supposedly has a great bokah.

B Grace

B Grace

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Country Flag

You may want to compare the 85/1.8 D and G lenses before buying, if possible, unless you must have the aperture ring for older cameras.  I find my 85/1.8 D to be a little soft when shooting with my D600.  Granted, we're talking about pixel-peeper reviews here so it's all good.  My 50/1.4 D speaks good old Nikon-ese though.

byrd-2020

byrd-2020

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

You may want to compare the 85/1.8 D and G lenses before buying, if possible, unless you must have the aperture ring for older cameras.  I find my 85/1.8 D to be a little soft when shooting with my D600.  Granted, we're talking about pixel-peeper reviews here so it's all good.  My 50/1.4 D speaks good old Nikon-ese though.

I had the opportunity to shoot a Df with the 85mm f1.8 G  before I ordered my camera.  I ended up ordering my Df with the 85mm f1.8 D instead of the G.  I did this because I wanted an aperture ring; and  the reviews I read said that the D model was at least as good as the G.

I have been extremely happy with my 85mm f1.8 D.  And when I compare shots taken with the D and the G, I have to give the edge (though it's slight) to the D.

I suspect a lot of this has to do with variations in individual copies of the lens, and needed  (but unimplemented) auto-focus adjustments.

My advice would be to order in a copy of each; do an A-B comparison and stick with what you like best.  (Put the camera on a tripod and focus in live-view, though.)

Wired

Wired

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

I finally was able to feel up a Df today, and I am beyond impressed. The camera is a lot light than I imagined, which is both a good thing and a bad thing, I was hoping for a bit more heft. The front dial not as much of a pain as I was anticipating, and while I still don't like it, its something I could adjust too. The buffer is fantastic and refills pretty quickly using my Sandisc Extreme Pro 95mbs card. I guess thats also 16mp files that help too. The FPS isn't terrible, better than my D800 for sure. The manual dials are nice, but I could see myself ditching them fairly quickly. I don't like the method for locking the mode dial, but I doubt I would leave manual very often.

I love how clean the files are at 6400iso, just peeking at them in LR5 right now and I'm just baffled by how little noise there is... dare I say near none? it's madness! That is the most impressive part... that sensor lives up to the hype and more. I wish there was a tad more resolution (maybe 20mp?) but wow.... I can't believe how clean the files are. And just stops of dynamic range... its madness. 

I can't afford one right now, but it's starting to creep higher on the acquisition priority plan. It may be above a wide angle prime now....but still under carbon fiber tripod and Think Tank module set. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dx, fx, full frame