Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

This is what the D7100 needs..

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

Maybe this is what we need for the D7100 to squeeze a few more shots in a sequence..
http://www.sandisk.c...astest-sd-card/

280MB/S read, 250MB/S write. Faster than the current 95MS/s top speed ones I have.

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Site Supporter

What people's thoughts on SANDISK for SD Cards and do you have a pecking order of the card's you consider the best?

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

Sandisk are at the topish of the heap. Mind you, they all have failures every now and then.

Lexar have a good rep too.

For speeds check this: http://sportsphotogu...raw-burst-test/

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway

I have three regular Sandisks and three PNYs.

I have not had any problems with any of them, but they are not fast when shooting multiple exposures in rapid fire. 

Afterimage

Afterimage

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPennsylvania

Sandisk Pro is a great card for the D7100. If you shoot in controlled bursts you can (more-or-less) shoot for as long as you'd need. A 290MB/S card... that will really make the limited buffer of the D7100 less of a concern.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,649 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

What people's thoughts on SANDISK for SD Cards and do you have a pecking order of the card's you consider the best?

I have had one dud Sandisk since 2001. It was a Ducati edition from the first batch and they were notorious for giving trouble. I exchanged it for a new one from the second production batch and two weeks later got a phone call from the importer checking up that I was satisfied with the new one. Stellar treatment of their customers.

/Peter

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I have SanDisk and Lexar - fastest ones I can get...they  work well on the D6xx too!  Might have to check those new cards out...

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,267 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I've always had good success with Sandisk cards. That's mostly what I use nowadays. 

--Ron

Long Exposure

Long Exposure

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Location26.82N, 80.06W

Maybe this is what we need for the D7100 to squeeze a few more shots in a sequence..
http://www.sandisk.c...astest-sd-card/

280MB/S read, 250MB/S write. Faster than the current 95MS/s top speed ones I have.

OK, here we go.  Maybe that will work maybe it will not.  What is the buss delivery speed of the D7100, as I do not own one.

More directly, or perhaps more clearly, what is the fastest card the D7100 will work with?  I am taking a SWAG (a scientific wild-ass guess) that the buss delivery through put is not equal to the new Sandisk chip.  Therefore, not it is not what the D7100 needs.  Will the D7100 take and use the 128 chips that are available?

Let me look.  The Nikon D7100 owners manual on page 347 claimes a UHS-I speed as the fastest the camera can use which is 50mb/s.  So there you have it.

Now that that is settled.  What is the solution to the problem you allude to, which is the reason I do not have a D7100.  The short answer is put EXPEED 4 in the camera then stand back.  The EXPEED 4 digital engine is basically the differenc between a dual core and a quad core machine, through put is almost but not quite doubled.  That is what solves the buffer depth issue of the D7100.  Also, and I cannot prove it but I bet there is a firmware hinderance built in to the D7100 limiting clocking speed on the EXPEED 3 engine.  Also, all of this begs another question.  If Nikon does not plan to come out with a D400 camera - a pro level DX format - and will rely on the D7100 then why did they not put the EXPEED 4 engine in it?  Clearly, the EXPEED 4 was in the lab and under development already.

Now with all this getting a bit long, what is the purpose new uber-fast sandisk card?  It is for video bit rates, up to 4K of shooting.  DSLRs and most video machines are still playing catch up to 4K.  Sandisk wanted to be rist to market to stake out their ground.

More questions?  ask away.

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway

I don't know why, but I get the feeling Long Exposure knows what he is talking about. 

:D

Rontography

Rontography

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Country Flag

I don't know why, but I get the feeling Long Exposure knows what he is talking about.

:D

Well he definitely has SWAG. :)

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

The Nikon D7100 owners manual on page 347 claimes a UHS-I speed as the fastest the camera can use which is 50mb/s.  So there you have it.

Maybe - or maybe they were justy referring to the fastest know speed at that time? Dunno, your logic sounds more realistic though.

NThe short answer is put EXPEED 4 in the camera then stand back.

If I stand back I won't be able to take photos though! :rolleyes:

Long Exposure

Long Exposure

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Location26.82N, 80.06W

Gents, I have two engineering degrees.  Some folks call me a technology nerd.