Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Changing "temperature of pictures in camera"

d5200

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Tom Kauffman

Tom Kauffman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationStanwood, WA USA

I have a D5200 and was wondering if it is possible to "change the temperature" of your snapshots? What I am thinking is how to simulate a result you might have gotten with Kodachrome as opposed to say Ectochrome or Fugi Film etc. All the old films had their own individual color cast. Cool as opposed to warm and so forth. Are there internal setting or is this driven by your particular sensor?

Upham

Upham

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Country Flag

You might be interested in this:

http://www.dxo.com/i...hy/dxo-filmpack

Tom Kauffman

Tom Kauffman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Country Flag

That is very interesting. I wanted to be able to set the camera for the tonal quality I like, but being ablel to get there in post processing is great. I had a point and shot camera once that gave me those rich colors I love and I have had others that seemed to go toward the cool side. Now that I have a camera I can adjust I was hoping someone could point me to the location in lthe menue I need to reset if at all possible.

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Are you talking about white balance? You can definitely adjust that in camera--just find white balance in your menu and you can warm it up or cool it down to your heart's content.

Tom Kauffman

Tom Kauffman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Country Flag

I'll try that. I guess I thought it would more complicated than that. Thanks  :)

Upham

Upham

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Country Flag

ah, you talking about the different films got me a little confused, but yea you can just change the kelvin color temperature in the menu.

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag

I have a D5200 and was wondering if it is possible to "change the temperature" of your snapshots? What I am thinking is how to simulate a result you might have gotten with Kodachrome as opposed to say Ectochrome or Fugi Film etc. All the old films had their own individual color cast. Cool as opposed to warm and so forth. Are there internal setting or is this driven by your particular sensor?

If you shoot in raw, you can change the color temperature and tint (white balance) after the fact. Find some settings that work for the lighting you're in and then you'll get the desired effect.  There are also lots of post-processing converters that specifically simulate film.

Tom Kauffman

Tom Kauffman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks for the help everyone. I think I've got it now.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Tom,

You might find this interesting...

Nikon | Imaging Products | Creative expression - Nikon D5200:

--Ron

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

If you shoot in raw, you can change the color temperature and tint (white balance) after the fact. Find some settings that work for the lighting you're in and then you'll get the desired effect.  There are also lots of post-processing converters that specifically simulate film.

^ That ^

Tom Kauffman

Tom Kauffman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Country Flag

There is so much to learn. I love it. Thanks everyone for the great tips.

Long Exposure

Long Exposure

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Location26.82N, 80.06W

White balance is one of the differences, which of course needs to be learned, when moving from analog to digital.  Film has the white balance "baked in" to the film.  Hence, outdor, indoor, etc., films.  With the advent of digital, it was something (white balance) to be played with to one's contentment.  

Are youa JPG or NEF shooter?

You can move the white balance around before the fact for a JPG (in camera) and before or after the fact with a RAW file.  Unless there are requirements for image delivery immediately after the shoot, i.e., a sportsphotographer, I see no reason to shoot JPG.

As others have said there are a myriad of third party software emulation packages that can get close to the looks you wish.  IMHO the best are VSCO with DxO, Alienskins and a coule of others that are escaping me at the moment.  If you choose one of the third party softwater filter packages, I believe it is important that the names of the film emulation are used in the filter names.  However, than may just be me.  Topaz Labs happens to be one package that comes to mind that does not use the nake of the film emulation in the filter name and it drives me nuts.

Tom Kauffman

Tom Kauffman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Country Flag

I'm wanting to get comfortable with NEF and get good at using it as my primary way of shooting. I had just assumed that "white Balance" was just for adjusting the tungsten or florescent effects captured in the camera. I have had several point and shoot cameras and they all had their own color properites (warm or cool) so that is why I thought it might be a manufacturer driven preferance. Thanks for the clarification. 

By the way, I understand there is a new updated jpeg format out that comes close to NEF is that true?

Long Exposure

Long Exposure

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Location26.82N, 80.06W

Is there a new more robust, deeper bit-map *.jpg format in the lab?  Yep there sure is.

When will it be implemented at the conumer level?  No one knows.  Get out the crystal ball.  Your guess is as good as mine.

Tom Kauffman

Tom Kauffman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Country Flag

Crystal balls were never my thing :) 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: d5200