Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Aperture blows out exposure with Nikon raw files

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

pebbleheed

pebbleheed

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
I'm having a problem with Apple's aperture software and my D5300.

When I import the raw files to aperture the previews look great. I appreciate these are camera generated however. When I open the raw file aperture immediately develops the file with a blown out exposure. It's ruining my photos.

I've tried changing settings. I've tried fixing images. Nothing is working.

Anyone experienced this and have any solutions?

Thanks

pebbleheed

pebbleheed

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
Seems the fix is simple, but annoying.

To get around this I tried the aperture library loaded in iPhoto. The raw files load perfectly without any changes, exactly as they are on the camera.

Upside is I can use iPhoto to manage my workflow. Downside is that I miss all the advanced features of aperture that aren't present on the more simple iPhoto software.

Can't find a solution or setting change for aperture. Can't see why it would handle raw files differently to iPhoto as surely they'd use the same engine for raw work?

Shame, but aperture will have to sit on the unused pile for now. :(

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

I know nothing about Aperture, but perhaps there is a preset somewhere that needs altering or maybe even downloading for Nikon, or your camera. Or maybe make your own and save it. Just stabs in the dark.

pebbleheed

pebbleheed

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
I suspect it's either a setting that I can't find or it's something different between how the two apps handle raw files.

It didn't do this on my canon 650D. It seems the raw files from the nikon confuse it a little and it wants to make them a lot more exposed.

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

Have you tried resetting your import settings?

In the Import browser, choose Reset to Defaults from the Import Settings pop-up menu.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Have you tried re-downloading the Compatibility Update 5.02 and reinstalling it?

It is available here.

It sounds like something corrupted the bindings for Aperture, since it works in iPhoto.

/Peter

pebbleheed

pebbleheed

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

I did some research on the Apple forums.

It appears there's a known issue with the D5300 RAW / NEF files and how some Apple software handles them - as in it doesn't, or not very well anyway.

Some report issues with Preview and iPhoto whereas others report issues with Aperture. For me Preview and iPhoto is fine, but Aperture isn't. 

I've raised it with Apple, I'll see if they respond with anything helpful.

In terms of the update file, it's all done and properly installed.

pebbleheed

pebbleheed

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
I've played about with aperture and found a temporary fix until Apple sort things out.

When the image loads I use the quick fix options to reduce the exposure by either -1 or -2 and then use colour punch. This gets the image back to almost how it was before.

Not the best situation but at least I can use aperture now.

pebbleheed

pebbleheed

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
Apple ignored my email, but I found a fix myself anyway.

Install iPhoto and aperture. Set iPhoto up as the default camera import software. Import all raw / nef files with iPhoto. Close iPhoto and load aperture, edit away!

Seems the issue is resolved if iPhoto imports the photo in to the library before aperture opens it rather than aperture importing it.

For this to work you must have iPhoto and aperture sharing the same library.

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,524 posts
  • Country Flag
How do you set for Aperture and iPhoto sharing the same library?

pebbleheed

pebbleheed

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
It offered me the option when I installed them. Both latest version.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

There is a knowledgebase article here.