Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

AmazonBasics Camera Bag?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

TCosbyJr

TCosbyJr

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationIndiana

Site Supporter

I looked around at many camera bags recently, and was amazed at the tiny sizes and some of the prices. I admit not being able to view them in person really makes for a hard shopping experience.

I decided if nothing else I'd just buy one to hold enough goodies when I am out and about with my camera (I am a hobbyist anyway), and was low in price, in case it wasn't what I expected.

I ordered the AmazonBasics large DSLR camera bag and it arrived today. Seems like it will fit my need and is well constructed. Although it will definitely not hold everything I have gotten only 2 weeks into the hobby of using my D3100.

I'll have to wait until I have more time to fill/organize my bag as my day job awaits me, so I thought I'd ask some opinions.

Does anyone have any experience with this particular camera bag? How well does it hold up, and how much can you get to fit?

Afterimage

Afterimage

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPennsylvania

I actually do have this bag but it's sold under a different brand name... identical bag though. 

It's a little smaller than I'd like but I use it in combination with a backpack so it technically works just fine. I can safely store a few lenses and extras I need while I'm out shooting with other lenses. At least that's what I'm doing with it. It works fine but it's not "perfect" .. I give it a 4/5 star. For the price it's rather good however...

does that help?

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

I have a smaller version of the same AmazonBasics camera bag, so it will only hold compacts.  I find the material to be very good quality, especially considering its price.  I know mine does not have removable dividers inside, but I think yours does.  The padding is thick enough for adequate protection.  My outer shell is very durable and weatherproof, but the photos of your large bag looks like it has a different and thinner outer material.

You'll find Lowepro makes bags in just about every size to fit your needs, and their quality is a bit better than the Amazon bags.  You will pay a higher price, though.

TCosbyJr

TCosbyJr

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationIndiana

Site Supporter

I actually do have this bag but it's sold under a different brand name... identical bag though. 

It's a little smaller than I'd like but I use it in combination with a backpack so it technically works just fine. I can safely store a few lenses and extras I need while I'm out shooting with other lenses. At least that's what I'm doing with it. It works fine but it's not "perfect" .. I give it a 4/5 star. For the price it's rather good however...

does that help?

Indeed, it does help as I now know what another user of the camera bag thinks/uses it for. I figure if I get one more lens or a flash I will have outgrown it too, besides a quick grab and go bag.

I was looking at the camera backpacks, but it seems many are mini backbacks so in the end it is the same basic size. I did see one though that was a nice size, and had a quick access flap on the side so the camera can be removed/replaced in the backpack one handed without having to remove the backpack (looks very handy).

I must admit as I am new to DSLR I am curious if it is best store the camera with or without a lens attached to the camera body? It seems there would be pros and cons to either method,

I have a smaller version of the same AmazonBasics camera bag, so it will only hold compacts.  I find the material to be very good quality, especially considering its price.  I know mine does not have removable dividers inside, but I think yours does.  The padding is thick enough for adequate protection.  My outer shell is very durable and weatherproof, but the photos of your large bag looks like it has a different and thinner outer material.

You'll find Lowepro makes bags in just about every size to fit your needs, and their quality is a bit better than the Amazon bags.  You will pay a higher price, though.

Yes, the bag has removable/changeable dividers inside the bag area - they all can be moved around (as they are velcro). Glad to hear it has some weatherproofing, as I imagine mine does too. The actual top unsnaps with the two buckle latches and then is pulled up as it is attached to the bag with velcro. This inner piece is held closed by dual zippers, and is a different piece from the latching top/lid.

I was originally looking at the Lowepro bags, but was hoping to find them somewhere local before I purchased one to ensure I knew what I was buying. I'll keep an eye out for a local retailer.

Thanks for writing.

Afterimage

Afterimage

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPennsylvania

for these little "extra lens and accessories bags" you can pretty much size them up online and be fairly certain they'll do what you need them to do. 

But, when it comes to a backpack... always see it and try it on in person.