Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Clean a camera bag, how?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

pebbleheed

pebbleheed

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
Anyone know how to clean my lowepro flipside 200?

Bought from eBay and stinks of smoke inside and out.

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Site Supporter

Wash out with soap and water, then leave out in the open to air and dry out?

pebbleheed

pebbleheed

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
I ended up washing it twice in the machine. Survived the wash. It's drying in front of the log burner now but it still stinks of smoke!

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I ended up washing it twice in the machine. Survived the wash. It's drying in front of the log burner now but it still stinks of smoke!

I had the problem of smelly smoke in a used work vehicle I was given years ago. I went to a motor departent store and got a smell bomb thing, that completely removed the smell. Perhaps you could visit one of those motor stores and ask them for advice. The principle of smoke on your bag must be similar to that of smoke on fabric in a car.

pebbleheed

pebbleheed

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
I'm tempted to return to the seller as smoke damaged. It's a lot of messing about that I wouldn't mind if it was listed with this smell. It was listed as good condition and ready for use when it's not.

Afterimage

Afterimage

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPennsylvania

Frebreeze? I've had some success in removing cigarette smoke smell with that. 

whitelotus9

whitelotus9

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationKissimmee, Florida USA

Site Supporter

Try putting several charcoal briquettes inside the bag then closing it up.  Depending on the size of the bag, if you happen to have a bag of charcoal from last year's grilling out, you might put most or all of the charcoal into the bag.  The charcoal absorbs smells, etc.  An option would also be to hang the empty bag outside to air out.  Perhaps with the bag propped open.   

pebbleheed

pebbleheed

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
Febreeze didn't work sadly.

I'm weary of the charcoal item because if I return it I don't want it full of charcoal dust :D

Airing it may be an option if it ever stops raining here in Manchester.

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I'm tempted to return to the seller as smoke damaged. It's a lot of messing about that I wouldn't mind if it was listed with this smell. It was listed as good condition and ready for use when it's not.

Guess the charcoal suggestion was before they realised you come from Manchester, where you get about 4 days decent weather a year when you can get to use a BBQ!

pebbleheed

pebbleheed

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
Yep.

I'm going to return this. I left it drying in the dining room over night. Came in today and the whole room smells like someone's smoked 400 cigarettes in there. Horrible!

whitelotus9

whitelotus9

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationKissimmee, Florida USA

Site Supporter

I've purchased a couple books that when I received them and opened the book reeked of cigarette smoke.  I've since learned that when looking at anything that might capture and hold smoke odor I specifically ask the seller if the item was ever in an environment with anyone that smoked.  That helps me get an idea if I wish to bid on the item or not and if I receive the item and it smells of smoke after the seller told me it had never been around anyone that smoked, I can easily return it for misrepresentation.  Usually any questions that are sent to the seller get posted in the auction along with their answer which warns other potential buyers away.

Actually Tony, I have yet to have the pleasure to visit the UK.  And the person with the smelly camera bag is not displaying the Union Jack beneath name so I could not tell where they were from. 

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

Frebreeze? I've had some success in removing cigarette smoke smell with that.

This is what I was going to recommend. Fabreeze works pretty well for smoke. Spray the bag pretty well, and let it air out for a bit. It may take a few applications.

I would definitely leave that on the seller's feedback. That is a big deal for some types of items on eBay. Sellers list that they are non-smokers for that very reason.

pebbleheed

pebbleheed

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
I left neutral feedback for them. I've also logged a case with eBay for a full return and refund. The seller isn't happy but appears to be agreeing so far.

I picked up another bag, the same one, for less today in mint condition.

Dave Stoltz

Dave Stoltz

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag
put it in a plastic bag put two boxes of baking soda in the bag seal it up for 3 days after 3 days open the bag the smell is gone if it's dusty hang it up outside washing it out and let the Sun dry it somebody gave me a great camera bag