Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

When to use Dome, Bounce card or directional bounce

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

DanielJamesVersace

DanielJamesVersace

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAdelaide

So I haven't shoot a function in a while and the other day i was at the beach at night with a group trying to shoot with the flash, I always felt that having the Flash pointed straight at my friends was way to harsh, but with a dome i couldn't get the range.

Now i ask the question for all occasions, is there a universal way to use the flash that works well in all areas, i saw a "Pro" Using the bough card with the Flash pointing straight up, but we were in a church with a very high ceiling, and then when we went out side there was no ceiling at all!

I normally shoot like this to, but now i am starting to wonder is this better then using a flash dome? or are the two completely different uses.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Unfortunately, there is no universal way that always works. Flash straight up or 75° with a bounce card often works to get a bit of sparkle in the eyes, but in a church you will have to use quite high ISO and probably also drag the shutter. That way, the flash mostly serves as a fill light. Sometimes a naked flash straight on is the only way. I think that the only way is to experiment, so that one recognizes the situation and chooses the better way.

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

I highly recommend picking up one of these:

http://www.amazon.co... pocket bouncer

You don't really lose much light, maybe a little range, though.  It's perfect for eliminating red eye, you don't need a ceiling, there's no harsh glare like from a straight on flash, and it's very cheap.  You don't lose as much light as you would with a diffuser or mini soft box attached.  You can also add silver or gold reflectors inside it for added effects.  I've even made some of my own color inserts/reflectors.

It has adhesive velcro, but if you don't want stickers on your flash, you'll need one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00494P6AW

DanielJamesVersace

DanielJamesVersace

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAdelaide

would they ship to Australia, and this Velcro just wraps around the body doesn't it.

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

I'm sure they would ship anywhere. I don't see it listed on Amazon Australia. you can also check eBay or BandH should ship to Australia.

The velcro strip fits around the end of the flash, and the pocket bouncer attaches to it. Once you get the velcro strip, you can use it with other Lumiquest flash attachments, too.

DanielJamesVersace

DanielJamesVersace

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAdelaide

does the Velcro eventually stretch tho? how long have you had yours

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

I've had one for about 2 years and it's fine.  The elastic under the velcro is stitched to the strap in various places, so only each segment stretches.

morticiaskeeper

morticiaskeeper

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTewkesbury, Glos
Get a bit of Fab foam from a craft store & make your own. There are templates available on the net.

Mine is held on with an elastic band.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

That Pocket Bounce works quite well...I think I still have mine - I had the set with several attachments...don't (and didn't) use flash very often but it was nice when I needed it...sounds like it has changed a bit since I bought mine.  With mine the velcro piece on the flash was tape on the flip side and you just taped it and left it on the flash...then the attachments could be added removed as necessary...

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

I think too many people didn't like the idea of having stickers on their flash, so they devised this strap. It also comes in handy when you want to switch it to a different flash.

DanielJamesVersace

DanielJamesVersace

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAdelaide

so then, When i use a dome would i normally use that inside? when i want to create a nice soft all around light?

DanielJamesVersace

DanielJamesVersace

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAdelaide

I honestly think i may get one of those Gary Fong Lightsphere's i have read amazing things about them

But that is pretty expensive so i may also get the Pocket Bouncer

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

It may help make the dome fit tighter if your flash is a bit smaller than the dome. I guess it depends on how the dome fits. You may not have to use it. The velcro goes all the way around, so any flash attachments with velcro will work. This is the other bonus of the strap as opposed to the stickers.

Other brand softboxes and diffusers are now coming with elastic fittings that just stay on, but they are a little cheaper in quality than Lumiquest accessories. I have a Vello diffuser, but I don't use it much as the elastic band is extremely tight on my Metz flash.

The Gary Fong Lightsphere is just a diffuser, so I feel you can get similar diffusers for less money.

Try the Pocket Bouncer. You may like it enough to not need a dome/diffuser. Since I got it, I rarely use any of my diffusers.

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

A dome is designed to bounce light from everywhere. When you are outside there's nothing to bounce off, generally, so it's a waste of time. The only way to soften the flash light is by making it into a larger source, so bouncing off or through umbrella, bounce card (as long as it's bigger then the flash head) etc.

Bouncing increases the size of the apparent light source, that's how it softens the light.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Years ago I made something similar to the Pocket Bouncer using a white plastic milk jug. I cut it to shape using kitchen sissors and used a large rubber band to attach it to my flash gun. It's works similarly to a bounce card but covers more area and works best when the flash is tilted at a 45° angle.

--Ron

AJSimpson

AJSimpson

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Country Flag

You say you saw a pro shoot with the card raised and the flash head pointing straight up....I do it often on natural lighting fashion shoots, the white card will transmit a small amount of white light at 90 degrees to the flash head, giving just enough light to produce a catch light in the subjects eyes without the direct influence of the flash.....just saying

DanielJamesVersace

DanielJamesVersace

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAdelaide

yea thats understandable, but i have always done that and never seen a slight improvement.

I was out at the Adelaide Fringe Parade and saw somebody with the flash pointing straight up to the sky.. with out a card or a dome?!

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

You say you saw a pro shoot with the card raised and the flash head pointing straight up....I do it often on natural lighting fashion shoots, the white card will transmit a small amount of white light at 90 degrees to the flash head, giving just enough light to produce a catch light in the subjects eyes without the direct influence of the flash.....just saying

Why not just use powered-down direct flash? The card is similar size to the flash head. It would use way less power too.

DanielJamesVersace

DanielJamesVersace

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAdelaide

Why not just use powered-down direct flash? The card is similar size to the flash head. It would use way less power too.

Yea, Thats what i thought, or use a dome, she was close enough.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Could be a matter of getting more distance between optical axis and flash, but I don't understand it either.

/Peter